Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Where have our children gone?

Posted by Pauline on 6/09/02 at 15:00 (086850)

Can you top this story? Today reported in our local newspaper a THIRD GRADER reported his Sony Palm Pilot stolen. According to the parents it was valued at about $700 dollars. He reported seeing it last when he put it in his desk about 9:00 A.M.

Now the big question, how many of you needed a Palm Pilot when you were in the third grade?

Limo's rented for sixth grade dances, and $700 palm pilots in the third grade. What are we doing to our children, and more importantly where have we left our minds?

Re: Where have our children gone?

john h on 6/09/02 at 15:19 (086853)

3rd grade? i was riding a broom stick pretending I was the Long Ranger looking for the evil Betty Greenwood.

Pauline on 6/09/02 at 15:50 (086856)

John,
Sounds like a pretty normal childhood to me. Just think of all the exercise you would have missed if you were watching the Lone Ranger on your Palm Pilot instead.

That's what kept you slim and trim and your imagination working.

wendyn on 6/09/02 at 15:56 (086858)

Pauline are you serious!?!?!?!?

My third grader has a school agenda that he writes his homework in, it's never ocurred to me to get him a palm pilot. I don't even have palm pilot.

Limos for 6th grade grads? I wonder how the 6th graders pay for those? Surely there aren't parents foolish enough to do that. Surely.

Pauline on 6/09/02 at 18:05 (086871)

Wendyn,
I'm dead serious. My kids also used a small note book to write down their homework assignments. Palm pilots were not even marketed when they were in
High school although each of them uses one now in Grad. School, but they purchased it themselves. They both work fulltime why not?

We've dealt with extravagant gifts and treats given by other parents to their children through out their school years, but we never participated in their value system.

Most of their friends got new cars when they learned to drive bought and paid for by mom and dad. It didn't happen in our house. I personally think values are taught at a very early age, and children learn the important ones by watching their parents live them everyday.

What need does a third grader have for a palm pilot? Maybe it's really the parents image that makes it necessary for him to have one.

wendyn on 6/09/02 at 18:30 (086874)

That's sad Pauline. We have run into the same thing with the cars. My son's girlfriend drives a new Honda Civic (bought and paid for by mom and dad). She is in 11th grade, and she does not even have to pay for the gas.

Our son drives our vehicles when we let him, he pays for half his insurance and all of his gas.

Suzanne D on 6/09/02 at 20:21 (086883)

My goodness! My first graders have never heard of a Palm Pilot; I do well to help them keep up with their bookbags! My high school daughter gets a new assignment booklet at the beginning of each school year.

Too much, too soon...That seems to be too prevalent today. And usually too much too soon equals too little appreciation. There's nothing wrong with having to wait and work for something you want. It makes you take better care of it and appreciate it more. At least that's how I was taught.

Oops...I almost thought I was back in the classroom! You all will have to forgive me. When school is out, I start trying to teach something to someone; I guess I am just missing my children!

Suzanne :-)

Nancy N on 6/09/02 at 20:45 (086884)

Pauline--

I teach at a prep school, and you would not believe some of the things these kids have. Some are warranted academically (maybe--you could probably debate whether the senior whose life revolves around photography really needs *everything* he has), but some are not.

Our kids will leave their backpacks out on the school lawn without a second thought--sometimes they forget them and they sit out over a rainy weekend! Their attitude is 'Nothing will happen to it--and if it does, Mom and Dad will replace it.' We have kids who board even though their parents live a town or two over from us. One of those kids was in my class this past quarter and would be beside herself on Fridays because her 'baby car' was coming for her to use over the weekend. Her 'baby car' is a Mercedes SUV. I can't tell you how depressing it is to go out in the parking lot in the afternoon and see 17 year-olds driving better cars than you know you will ever be able to afford. And they think nothing of it--if they crash it, Mom and Dad will buy them a new one.

The attitude that these kids develop--largely of entitlement and of financial carelessness--is astonishing. But I see it every day...

john h on 6/10/02 at 15:31 (086974)

Nancy: One of my acquaintenance has a teenage son. During the past 18 months he has wrecked his Lexus 300, his mothers Lexus 300, his father's Lexus 300, and his fathers new boat. He has been expelled from a prestigeous private school and public school. These are the least of his problems!

john h on 6/09/02 at 15:19 (086853)

3rd grade? i was riding a broom stick pretending I was the Long Ranger looking for the evil Betty Greenwood.

Pauline on 6/09/02 at 15:50 (086856)

John,
Sounds like a pretty normal childhood to me. Just think of all the exercise you would have missed if you were watching the Lone Ranger on your Palm Pilot instead.

That's what kept you slim and trim and your imagination working.

wendyn on 6/09/02 at 15:56 (086858)

Pauline are you serious!?!?!?!?

My third grader has a school agenda that he writes his homework in, it's never ocurred to me to get him a palm pilot. I don't even have palm pilot.

Limos for 6th grade grads? I wonder how the 6th graders pay for those? Surely there aren't parents foolish enough to do that. Surely.

Pauline on 6/09/02 at 18:05 (086871)

Wendyn,
I'm dead serious. My kids also used a small note book to write down their homework assignments. Palm pilots were not even marketed when they were in
High school although each of them uses one now in Grad. School, but they purchased it themselves. They both work fulltime why not?

We've dealt with extravagant gifts and treats given by other parents to their children through out their school years, but we never participated in their value system.

Most of their friends got new cars when they learned to drive bought and paid for by mom and dad. It didn't happen in our house. I personally think values are taught at a very early age, and children learn the important ones by watching their parents live them everyday.

What need does a third grader have for a palm pilot? Maybe it's really the parents image that makes it necessary for him to have one.

wendyn on 6/09/02 at 18:30 (086874)

That's sad Pauline. We have run into the same thing with the cars. My son's girlfriend drives a new Honda Civic (bought and paid for by mom and dad). She is in 11th grade, and she does not even have to pay for the gas.

Our son drives our vehicles when we let him, he pays for half his insurance and all of his gas.

Suzanne D on 6/09/02 at 20:21 (086883)

My goodness! My first graders have never heard of a Palm Pilot; I do well to help them keep up with their bookbags! My high school daughter gets a new assignment booklet at the beginning of each school year.

Too much, too soon...That seems to be too prevalent today. And usually too much too soon equals too little appreciation. There's nothing wrong with having to wait and work for something you want. It makes you take better care of it and appreciate it more. At least that's how I was taught.

Oops...I almost thought I was back in the classroom! You all will have to forgive me. When school is out, I start trying to teach something to someone; I guess I am just missing my children!

Suzanne :-)

Nancy N on 6/09/02 at 20:45 (086884)

Pauline--

I teach at a prep school, and you would not believe some of the things these kids have. Some are warranted academically (maybe--you could probably debate whether the senior whose life revolves around photography really needs *everything* he has), but some are not.

Our kids will leave their backpacks out on the school lawn without a second thought--sometimes they forget them and they sit out over a rainy weekend! Their attitude is 'Nothing will happen to it--and if it does, Mom and Dad will replace it.' We have kids who board even though their parents live a town or two over from us. One of those kids was in my class this past quarter and would be beside herself on Fridays because her 'baby car' was coming for her to use over the weekend. Her 'baby car' is a Mercedes SUV. I can't tell you how depressing it is to go out in the parking lot in the afternoon and see 17 year-olds driving better cars than you know you will ever be able to afford. And they think nothing of it--if they crash it, Mom and Dad will buy them a new one.

The attitude that these kids develop--largely of entitlement and of financial carelessness--is astonishing. But I see it every day...

john h on 6/10/02 at 15:31 (086974)

Nancy: One of my acquaintenance has a teenage son. During the past 18 months he has wrecked his Lexus 300, his mothers Lexus 300, his father's Lexus 300, and his fathers new boat. He has been expelled from a prestigeous private school and public school. These are the least of his problems!