Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Specially made orthotics/or Good Feet Store orthotics

Posted by Yvonne K on 6/09/02 at 21:22 (086889)

I have heel spurs w/plantar fasciitis, podiatrist also says gout. he said i need surgery or these specially made orthotics made at his office w/a cast impression. i went to the Good Feet Store to see their line, which has a patented orthotic that i tried on and these awesome shoes that are American Diabetic Assocation approved (the only shoe to be approved by them) and together they felt awesome. They are both quiet expensive and the specially made orthotic is 300. i am not sure what to do! i am sick of the pain!!! has anyone had the specially made orthotic and/or the Good Feet orthotic--over the counter!! Please email me. (email removed)

Re: that store is apparently not the best way to go

Carole C in NOLA on 6/09/02 at 22:00 (086893)

I've used soft custom orthotics made by my pedorthist, a certified C.Ped. She watched me walk, cast an impression of my foot in a foam box, and made the orthotics there in her office. Then, she had me wear them and did some final adjustments so that they satisfied her. It took about 2-3 hours of her time, during which she instructed me in gentle stretching and many other treatments (she is a real goldmine of information). The orthotics were great, I could come back for future adjustments if needed, and the total cost was $225.

I've heard from a number of people on this board, including Mahatmelissama, that the Good Feet Store orthotic is way overpriced for what you get, which is essentially an over the counter orthotic that doesn't work very well (according to what I've read here - - I've never tried them). If you want to know more about them, do a search on 'Alzner' on this message board. I was pretty appalled when I read what people have been reporting about their experiences with them over the past several years.

I'd suggest that you stay away from them, and instead get the custom orthotic that you podiatrist wants to make in his office. $300 is a reasonable price for a custom orthotic.

SAS shoes are a good shoe that are often used by diabetics, and your podiatrist can tell you where to buy them if he wants to fit your orthotics to that brand of shoe.

Hope this helps!

Carole C

Re: Just don't buy the Alznner!

Mahatmelissama on 6/10/02 at 14:15 (086960)

If you have a size 11 foot woman ... 9 and 1/2 I think in Alznner's...
I can send you mine for free! They HURT my feet!

Re: Specially made orthotics/or Good Feet Store orthotics

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/10/02 at 15:24 (086971)

The Alznner orthotic is a decent prefabricated orthotic. Similar pre-fabricated orthitcs are available from pedorthists and podiatrists at a fraction of the price the Good Feet people are charging.

The real question is whether a prefab orthotic is appropriate for you or not. Licensed professionals such as pedorthists and podiatrists can help you make that determination. The people at the Good Feet stores are salespeople for the most part. I have found, in my experience that the salespeople at the stores do not have sufficient knowledge to determine whether the devices they are selling are appropriate for your condition. They generally do not accept refunds if the devices do not work.
Ed

Mike D on 7/09/02 at 00:12 (089337)

Ed, time to take the gloves off. Since when does an orthotic sell for a fraction of the price of a good feet arch support? The barefoot sells for $59, the Alznner is being replaced by the Maxx which cost $199 for a lifetime warranty and judging by the orthotics I see that last around 3 years, you have a math problem. We are not salespeople, we help 99% of our customers. What is your record? Not even close, because they come to us and we help them. We spend time with them and offer a 90 day exchange policy. They work and if a customer is skeptical, we don't sell.
We work with our customers with intense follow up and unlimited rezing at no office visit charges, free exchangings and at least a 60 minute initial fitting.
We don't ruin their feet with cortisone or surgery, we suggest excerise,
stretching and proper foot wear. You would think that twelve years of college would enlighten you, I guess you have to pay for your Benz.

Mike Dills

Mike D on 7/09/02 at 00:15 (089338)

Did you break them in? Were they comfortable at the start? If not, why did you buy? Did you use cushions? They have over 22 styles that are more flexible and comfortable. Don't knock them so much without elaborating.
Why did you go there?
Mike

Re: no fighting

scott r on 7/09/02 at 09:03 (089344)

Mike, heelspurs.com LLC has a fairly strict 'be nice' policy for the message boards. In arguments, you should use only neutral facts or opinions stated neutrally, not personal attacks. Dr. Ed stated some unkind opinions about the stores in general, but your post 'got personal'. Don't 'take off the gloves' in future posts.

Scott Roberts, Member
heelspurs.com LLC

paula on 7/09/02 at 11:46 (089347)

dr ed has helped me, for free, many times on this board. i dont' like to see him attacked. i've had more help for free from him and other doctors here then from all the foot device people i've paid a small fortune for. and when dr ed has given me his ideas and opinions, they were always right besides. i've paid half of what i own for the wrong advice these last two years. i only wish i didn't live accross the counntry so i could see ed as a patient

Re: that store is apparently not the best way to go

Carole C in NOLA on 6/09/02 at 22:00 (086893)

I've used soft custom orthotics made by my pedorthist, a certified C.Ped. She watched me walk, cast an impression of my foot in a foam box, and made the orthotics there in her office. Then, she had me wear them and did some final adjustments so that they satisfied her. It took about 2-3 hours of her time, during which she instructed me in gentle stretching and many other treatments (she is a real goldmine of information). The orthotics were great, I could come back for future adjustments if needed, and the total cost was $225.

I've heard from a number of people on this board, including Mahatmelissama, that the Good Feet Store orthotic is way overpriced for what you get, which is essentially an over the counter orthotic that doesn't work very well (according to what I've read here - - I've never tried them). If you want to know more about them, do a search on 'Alzner' on this message board. I was pretty appalled when I read what people have been reporting about their experiences with them over the past several years.

I'd suggest that you stay away from them, and instead get the custom orthotic that you podiatrist wants to make in his office. $300 is a reasonable price for a custom orthotic.

SAS shoes are a good shoe that are often used by diabetics, and your podiatrist can tell you where to buy them if he wants to fit your orthotics to that brand of shoe.

Hope this helps!

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 6/10/02 at 14:15 (086960)

If you have a size 11 foot woman ... 9 and 1/2 I think in Alznner's...
I can send you mine for free! They HURT my feet!

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/10/02 at 15:24 (086971)

The Alznner orthotic is a decent prefabricated orthotic. Similar pre-fabricated orthitcs are available from pedorthists and podiatrists at a fraction of the price the Good Feet people are charging.

The real question is whether a prefab orthotic is appropriate for you or not. Licensed professionals such as pedorthists and podiatrists can help you make that determination. The people at the Good Feet stores are salespeople for the most part. I have found, in my experience that the salespeople at the stores do not have sufficient knowledge to determine whether the devices they are selling are appropriate for your condition. They generally do not accept refunds if the devices do not work.
Ed

Mike D on 7/09/02 at 00:12 (089337)

Ed, time to take the gloves off. Since when does an orthotic sell for a fraction of the price of a good feet arch support? The barefoot sells for $59, the Alznner is being replaced by the Maxx which cost $199 for a lifetime warranty and judging by the orthotics I see that last around 3 years, you have a math problem. We are not salespeople, we help 99% of our customers. What is your record? Not even close, because they come to us and we help them. We spend time with them and offer a 90 day exchange policy. They work and if a customer is skeptical, we don't sell.
We work with our customers with intense follow up and unlimited rezing at no office visit charges, free exchangings and at least a 60 minute initial fitting.
We don't ruin their feet with cortisone or surgery, we suggest excerise,
stretching and proper foot wear. You would think that twelve years of college would enlighten you, I guess you have to pay for your Benz.

Mike Dills

Mike D on 7/09/02 at 00:15 (089338)

Did you break them in? Were they comfortable at the start? If not, why did you buy? Did you use cushions? They have over 22 styles that are more flexible and comfortable. Don't knock them so much without elaborating.
Why did you go there?
Mike

Re: no fighting

scott r on 7/09/02 at 09:03 (089344)

Mike, heelspurs.com LLC has a fairly strict 'be nice' policy for the message boards. In arguments, you should use only neutral facts or opinions stated neutrally, not personal attacks. Dr. Ed stated some unkind opinions about the stores in general, but your post 'got personal'. Don't 'take off the gloves' in future posts.

Scott Roberts, Member
heelspurs.com LLC

paula on 7/09/02 at 11:46 (089347)

dr ed has helped me, for free, many times on this board. i dont' like to see him attacked. i've had more help for free from him and other doctors here then from all the foot device people i've paid a small fortune for. and when dr ed has given me his ideas and opinions, they were always right besides. i've paid half of what i own for the wrong advice these last two years. i only wish i didn't live accross the counntry so i could see ed as a patient