Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pain after eswt

Posted by dave on 6/10/02 at 07:46 (086910)

Well im going on the 11th week post eswt. I had some real good weeks and a few bad weeks. My pain levels are going up and down like a see saw. I was treated at the insertion point with eswt on both feet. One day I have pain at the insertion point and the next day its farther back. then the next day its somewhere else. Back and forth from day to day. Im starting to think that there is something going on down there. Its been pretty uncomfortable. Does anyone know if this is normal for post ewst?

Re: pain after eswt

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/10/02 at 08:59 (086919)

You can have up and down pain cycles with ESWT . Is there any activity that you can figure out what is causing this. Sometimes it can be a certain activity

dave on 6/10/02 at 09:08 (086920)

I havent been doing anything out of the ordinary at all. The only thing that i can figure that may have agrevated my pf is doing some gardening over the holiday weekend. Although it was very minimal. Mary and I did some digging but i was kneeling the whole time? Otherwise i have been a good boy. I am assuming that the eswt procedure creates tiny little pockets that creates tiny blood vessels that fill them in. To me this may promote new tissue growth that would cause the pulling and tightness taht i am feeling. My case of pf has always been pretty ruthless and has always been very difficult to manage.

john h on 6/10/02 at 10:54 (086935)

Dave: my experience with ESWT is that in my case recovery is anything but linear. Ups and downs seem to be common. You need to take a long view on this. Look at where you are 4-6 months from now and evaluate are you better or worse.

Patricia R. on 6/12/02 at 07:57 (087250)

Hi..I had it done on 4/23/02 and the pain has increased...it is
pretty much constant and it is at the point of treatment. My physician
seems reluctant to answer questions I had regarding the number of
impulses received, etc.....Let me hear from you again.

dave on 6/12/02 at 08:07 (087253)

Thanks John! How long did it take you to recover from your first treatment? Where your pain levels fluctuating alot? How long did it take for things to settle down? I am not unhappy with the treatment that i had. Im just a little discouraged that i am going through another setback. This one seems to be longer than the typical setback that i have. Usually if i over do it i have a set back that will last a week. Three days of a pain level of a 5 or 6 then it will calm down to a 2 or a 3 by the weekend. For some reason and i dont know what to point a finger at, i have had a setback that has lasted for 2 weeks now which is typically out of the norm. Although i have had them in the past. Its been four or five months since my last big one.

john h on 6/12/02 at 10:10 (087284)

Dave: Setbacks are really hard to deal with and even after many years I do not deal with them very well. We are always looking to get better day by day. I have had to many setbacks to count but looking at this over a period of years I am better today than I was 3 or 4 years ago. I can rarely point to what might have caused a setback. If you have always improved before there is no reason to think you will not improve again, May take longer but it will happen. Keep on iceing and doing the things you have done in the past to get better and it will. My pain level in recent years has fluctuated but not nearly as much as 3-5 years ago. I walked out of ESWT with little or no pain but many people report getting worse for a while. Lot of factors working with ESWT such as how was your foot prior to treatment, how many shockwaves, how powerful the shockwaves, and as Pauline and I have discussed stress may contribute to increased pain.

dave on 6/12/02 at 10:25 (087292)

John, you r are right. It seems that everytime i have a setback it somehow is related to stress. Im not sure if one is a result of the other. i will however start documenting this to keep track of it. I wonder if the human body creates a chemical when one is stressed that conflicts with nerve transmission.

Re: Re; stress and pain flare up

Julie C. on 6/18/02 at 09:03 (087887)

Someone asked about stress and it's effect on pain. Yes, I have found a direct connection between my pain and increase in current life stressors. My dissertation topic is concerning the connection between mind/body. Research clearly indicates that stress has an direct impact on the body's natural healing ability. Many changes occur as a result of the biological reactions within the body - all of which can have a direct impact on our healing and subsequent pain.

Less than a year ago I was racing in the World Duathon Championships and today I just want to walk to my car without pain. As most people on this board I done everything for my PF and will do the ESWT after my 3rd course of PT. Difficult for this thing not to consume my entire stream of consciouness. Think I will start a support group!

Rachael T. on 6/20/02 at 00:22 (088076)

Julie, hang in there! I too, thought I'd never walk comfortably again during a year plus long battle on PF......but much has improved. I am not healed yet - but I am much improved...& have a life back & am even beginning to walk more & train & ride horses daily. I write to you, because your statement hit a nerve - about how this can 'consume' one's thinking.....oh, how true! I truly think it does for periods of time - particularly when you are really in pain! I truly feet now I am beginning to not be consumed mentally by the dreaded PF...... I hope this persists! And, I wish you well.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/10/02 at 08:59 (086919)

You can have up and down pain cycles with ESWT . Is there any activity that you can figure out what is causing this. Sometimes it can be a certain activity

dave on 6/10/02 at 09:08 (086920)

I havent been doing anything out of the ordinary at all. The only thing that i can figure that may have agrevated my pf is doing some gardening over the holiday weekend. Although it was very minimal. Mary and I did some digging but i was kneeling the whole time? Otherwise i have been a good boy. I am assuming that the eswt procedure creates tiny little pockets that creates tiny blood vessels that fill them in. To me this may promote new tissue growth that would cause the pulling and tightness taht i am feeling. My case of pf has always been pretty ruthless and has always been very difficult to manage.

john h on 6/10/02 at 10:54 (086935)

Dave: my experience with ESWT is that in my case recovery is anything but linear. Ups and downs seem to be common. You need to take a long view on this. Look at where you are 4-6 months from now and evaluate are you better or worse.

Patricia R. on 6/12/02 at 07:57 (087250)

Hi..I had it done on 4/23/02 and the pain has increased...it is
pretty much constant and it is at the point of treatment. My physician
seems reluctant to answer questions I had regarding the number of
impulses received, etc.....Let me hear from you again.

dave on 6/12/02 at 08:07 (087253)

Thanks John! How long did it take you to recover from your first treatment? Where your pain levels fluctuating alot? How long did it take for things to settle down? I am not unhappy with the treatment that i had. Im just a little discouraged that i am going through another setback. This one seems to be longer than the typical setback that i have. Usually if i over do it i have a set back that will last a week. Three days of a pain level of a 5 or 6 then it will calm down to a 2 or a 3 by the weekend. For some reason and i dont know what to point a finger at, i have had a setback that has lasted for 2 weeks now which is typically out of the norm. Although i have had them in the past. Its been four or five months since my last big one.

john h on 6/12/02 at 10:10 (087284)

Dave: Setbacks are really hard to deal with and even after many years I do not deal with them very well. We are always looking to get better day by day. I have had to many setbacks to count but looking at this over a period of years I am better today than I was 3 or 4 years ago. I can rarely point to what might have caused a setback. If you have always improved before there is no reason to think you will not improve again, May take longer but it will happen. Keep on iceing and doing the things you have done in the past to get better and it will. My pain level in recent years has fluctuated but not nearly as much as 3-5 years ago. I walked out of ESWT with little or no pain but many people report getting worse for a while. Lot of factors working with ESWT such as how was your foot prior to treatment, how many shockwaves, how powerful the shockwaves, and as Pauline and I have discussed stress may contribute to increased pain.

dave on 6/12/02 at 10:25 (087292)

John, you r are right. It seems that everytime i have a setback it somehow is related to stress. Im not sure if one is a result of the other. i will however start documenting this to keep track of it. I wonder if the human body creates a chemical when one is stressed that conflicts with nerve transmission.

Julie C. on 6/18/02 at 09:03 (087887)

Someone asked about stress and it's effect on pain. Yes, I have found a direct connection between my pain and increase in current life stressors. My dissertation topic is concerning the connection between mind/body. Research clearly indicates that stress has an direct impact on the body's natural healing ability. Many changes occur as a result of the biological reactions within the body - all of which can have a direct impact on our healing and subsequent pain.

Less than a year ago I was racing in the World Duathon Championships and today I just want to walk to my car without pain. As most people on this board I done everything for my PF and will do the ESWT after my 3rd course of PT. Difficult for this thing not to consume my entire stream of consciouness. Think I will start a support group!

Rachael T. on 6/20/02 at 00:22 (088076)

Julie, hang in there! I too, thought I'd never walk comfortably again during a year plus long battle on PF......but much has improved. I am not healed yet - but I am much improved...& have a life back & am even beginning to walk more & train & ride horses daily. I write to you, because your statement hit a nerve - about how this can 'consume' one's thinking.....oh, how true! I truly think it does for periods of time - particularly when you are really in pain! I truly feet now I am beginning to not be consumed mentally by the dreaded PF...... I hope this persists! And, I wish you well.