Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stretching Exercises for PF

Posted by yasmin on 6/10/02 at 10:24 (086929)

Hi

I am trying to find some exercises for PF, I've searched through the Internet, and I can't really find anything that explains what to do, how long to hold it for, and how many times a day they should be performed etc.. Does anyone know of any good web site that has these answers?

Thanks

Yasmin

Re: Stretching Exercises for PF

Suzanne D on 6/10/02 at 10:39 (086932)

Yasmin, if you type in a search on this site for Julie's stretches, you ought to find a great deal of information. Julie is a yoga teacher who has posted several times in good detail about the stretches she recommends!

Best wishes,
Suzanne :-)

Re: Here are the exercises:

Suzanne D on 6/10/02 at 10:58 (086936)

In case you might not be familiar with the search function here, I thought I would try to find the exercises for you - and anyone else who might want to read about them. I hope Julie doesn't mind my copying these from an old post of hers. But I feel she will be glad to be of help to someone else, so here they are:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These are simple yoga exercises for the feet. They're part of a series for all the joints called Pawanmuktasana. That means 'energy-releasing exercises', and they release energy by speeding the removal of toxins from the joints. They work systematically and precisely on the joints and on their associated muscles, tendons and ligaments. The ones for the feet can be done sitting on the floor with the legs outstretched (a difficult position to hold, especially for people with low back problems), or lying down, or sitting in a chair, or standing on alternate legs (a non-no for folks with PF). Sitting in a chair and lying down are best.

TOE BENDING AND STRETCHING

This one works the toe joints (all 28 of them) while holding a gentle stretch through the achilles tendons and calf muscles; and works the entire musculature of the feet.

Extend one heel forward and hold this gentle stretch while working on your toes.

Curl your toes forward, as if making fists of your feet. (Don't do this so enthusiastically that you give yourself a cramp.)

Then stretch the toes and spread them: make spaces between them.

Do this nine times, breathing out as you curl the toes, and breathing in as you stretch them.

Repeat with the other foot, then with both feet.

ANKLE BENDING

This one works on the ankle joints and on the achilles/soleus/ gastrocnemuis complex. It helps to increase ankle dorsiflexion, the essential thing for PF-ers who are generally tight in this area.

Bend the feet forwards at the ankles, and then bend them back, one at a time, then together.

Do each nine times on each foot, then both feet, breathing out as you bend forwards, in as you bend back.

ANKLE ROTATIONS

Circle the feet at the ankles, slowly and carefully, nine times in each direction, first one foot, then the other, then both. Breathe freely.

If you co-ordinate your movements with your breath it increases their effectiveness because it (a) slows you down and (b) makes you more aware of what you're doing.

I've practised and taught these exercises for many years. They are effective and powerful, and useful for people with PF because they're both non- weight-bearing and specific. And they're very energizing.

I always do them in the morning before I get out of bed, and would recommend this to anyone with PF to help avoid the 'first step' pain.

They can be done as many times a day as you like: the more the better. It's good to do them after you've been sitting for awhile, before standing up and walking.

Re: Here are the exercises: thank u (eom)

yasmin on 6/10/02 at 15:17 (086968)

bb

Re: Stretching Exercises for PF

Suzanne D on 6/10/02 at 10:39 (086932)

Yasmin, if you type in a search on this site for Julie's stretches, you ought to find a great deal of information. Julie is a yoga teacher who has posted several times in good detail about the stretches she recommends!

Best wishes,
Suzanne :-)

Re: Here are the exercises:

Suzanne D on 6/10/02 at 10:58 (086936)

In case you might not be familiar with the search function here, I thought I would try to find the exercises for you - and anyone else who might want to read about them. I hope Julie doesn't mind my copying these from an old post of hers. But I feel she will be glad to be of help to someone else, so here they are:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These are simple yoga exercises for the feet. They're part of a series for all the joints called Pawanmuktasana. That means 'energy-releasing exercises', and they release energy by speeding the removal of toxins from the joints. They work systematically and precisely on the joints and on their associated muscles, tendons and ligaments. The ones for the feet can be done sitting on the floor with the legs outstretched (a difficult position to hold, especially for people with low back problems), or lying down, or sitting in a chair, or standing on alternate legs (a non-no for folks with PF). Sitting in a chair and lying down are best.

TOE BENDING AND STRETCHING

This one works the toe joints (all 28 of them) while holding a gentle stretch through the achilles tendons and calf muscles; and works the entire musculature of the feet.

Extend one heel forward and hold this gentle stretch while working on your toes.

Curl your toes forward, as if making fists of your feet. (Don't do this so enthusiastically that you give yourself a cramp.)

Then stretch the toes and spread them: make spaces between them.

Do this nine times, breathing out as you curl the toes, and breathing in as you stretch them.

Repeat with the other foot, then with both feet.

ANKLE BENDING

This one works on the ankle joints and on the achilles/soleus/ gastrocnemuis complex. It helps to increase ankle dorsiflexion, the essential thing for PF-ers who are generally tight in this area.

Bend the feet forwards at the ankles, and then bend them back, one at a time, then together.

Do each nine times on each foot, then both feet, breathing out as you bend forwards, in as you bend back.

ANKLE ROTATIONS

Circle the feet at the ankles, slowly and carefully, nine times in each direction, first one foot, then the other, then both. Breathe freely.

If you co-ordinate your movements with your breath it increases their effectiveness because it (a) slows you down and (b) makes you more aware of what you're doing.

I've practised and taught these exercises for many years. They are effective and powerful, and useful for people with PF because they're both non- weight-bearing and specific. And they're very energizing.

I always do them in the morning before I get out of bed, and would recommend this to anyone with PF to help avoid the 'first step' pain.

They can be done as many times a day as you like: the more the better. It's good to do them after you've been sitting for awhile, before standing up and walking.

Re: Here are the exercises: thank u (eom)

yasmin on 6/10/02 at 15:17 (086968)

bb