Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Update

Posted by john h on 6/10/02 at 11:24 (086942)

It has been some months since I posted about where I am in my 7 year battle with bilateral PF. ESWT seems to be getting a lot more attention on the board recently so although I am hesitant, I will tell you how I am doing. I had surgery on my left foot approximately 3 years ago (PF Baxter procedure and TTS with no compressed nerve found). No bad effects from this surgery.

I have had 4 ESWT treatments with the Orby with Dr.Zuckerman spaced over 2 years. Last treatment September 2001. Although over the years I have tried every conceivable treatment both conventional and non-conventional, for the past 8 weeks I have confined myself to Birk Sandals 70% of the time and Rockport Pro Walkers with a semi-rigid orthotic 30% of the time. I ice once or twice a day and use Ibuprofen Creame (not gel) nightly. My max pain level ever has been around a 6 but over the past two years has gradually moved down to a 1-2 with an occasional bump to a 3-4 for unkown reasons.

During the past two months my feet have been consistenly better than they have ever been over the past 7 years. I have never gone this long without some sort of flareup. For the most part I place my pain level has been a max of 1 and sometimes less. I do everything I want to except run or walk long distances (5 miles). I go to work, mow the yard, climb ladders on to the roof, shop at the mall, walk 2-3 miles, ride a bike for 30 minutes,lift weights,etc.

I have no scientific evidence of why I am better or certainly do not rule out a reimergence of PF at a worse level. After all these years I am left with the feeling that the things that help are (1)ESWT (2)Birkenstock Sandals (3)Ice (4) Time (5) Paying attention to your activities (6)Knowledge.

We have come a long way on this board since it's first inception. We have some very knowledgable experts in medicine,ESWT,Surgery, and most importantly a place where people with PF can find compassion and people who understand their pain and suffering. To the experts I say 'Thank You' for giving of your time and to the board participants I say thank you for being there when I needed somone who would understand. To Scott you created a real Life Saver with this board and you should be proud of yourself.It will out live you.

Several years ago I read in some scientific publication 'PF will probably go away on its own in ten (10) years'. I think that is one of the great statements I have come across.

Re: Update

Pauline on 6/10/02 at 11:48 (086945)

John,
Have you noticed at all through your journey with P.F. if your flareup's come at times of additional stress, such as illness, death of a loved one or friend, holiday time, travel, overworked etc.

I've been tracking my P.F. and have found flareups seem to come on for no reason until I examine what's happen or happening in my life at the time. When I go back and read my journal I notice the pattern. I'm wondering if you go from a 1 to a 3 at times of stress?

Also have you ever noticed any sensation in the palm of your hand usually from the base of the hand running upward toward the first finger at the time of flareups?

If you haven't specifically followed this could you track it for a while?
I think it would be interesting to see if anyone having flareups find they are timed to additional stress and if the hand tissue is involved at all.

This of course is following a full blown case of P.F. when your in a stage of recovery. If anyone else would consider tracking this I would be interested in your findings.

john h on 6/10/02 at 12:01 (086946)

Pauline: I have not kept a PF diary which I wish I had but I most certainly would not rule out stress as a factor in a flareup of PF. As you know stress causes muscle contractions in the back and neck for many people and certainly stess in the back muscles could manifest itself in the feet. In fact I would think that stress very much could be a factor in PF flareups. Stress increases adrenlin output, drives up blood pressure, can drive up blood surgar levels, cause muscle contractions, increase respiration and cause a host of other physical and mental problems so why not a PF flareup?

yasmin on 6/10/02 at 15:38 (086975)

John

Just wanted to say I am glad you're getting better, I hope its all the way up from now on!

yasmin

Carole C in NOLA on 6/10/02 at 17:46 (087001)

John, what wonderful news! I can stop feeling sad that you have had PF for 7 years and still feel worse than me, because it sounds like we are about on the same level of pain now. A pain level of 0-1 most of the time sure beats a pain level of 1-4, doesn't it!

I agree wholeheartedly with your list of helpful stuff, especially ice, pay attention to your activities, and knowledge. So much of this is learning what wierd little things you have to avoid doing for a while in order to prevent setbacks, for long enough that healing can occur.

Again, I'm very cheered up to hear of how well you are doing, and I definitely join you in saying 'Thank You' to the experts, the board participants, and especially to Scott who recognized the need for this site and then tackled that problem head on in creating it.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 6/10/02 at 17:51 (087004)

Pauline, I've noticed that for me stress and PF problems come at the same time, but then which came first, the chicken or the egg?

When I'm feeling stressed, I'm less likely to be taking care of my PF properly and I'm more likely to do stupid things. My foot and leg muscles and tendons are tense and/or tight, and it's easier for me to strain tight tissues than relaxed ones.

When my PF hurts me, the constant pain and inability to participate in life stresses me horribly, and things that I could normally cope with become more difficult.

I've never had any hand problems.

Carole C

john h on 6/10/02 at 17:56 (087006)

the difference betwween a pain level of 1 and 4 for me is like night an day. at a pain level of 4 I spent limited time on my feet. no walking 2 or 3 miles, no mowing the yard on my feet (rider rather than my pusher) and most importantly a difference in attitude and sense of well being. i cannot imagine how our people who are at a pain level of 6-10 make it day to day and attend to familes and try to hold down a job. just hope I can stay as well as I am for as long as possible and maybe for a long time.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/10/02 at 18:08 (087008)

Exactly!!! At last I am able to LIVE my life, with a few inconveniences that are hardly noticeable (like taking six pairs of shoes on my holiday).

I don't know how people with pain level 6-10 do it either. I was that way for about three months while working and living alone, and it really broke me down emotionally. I was even thinking of seeing a shrink, except that I knew it was situational so I thought I could handle it. And yet I'm one of the lucky ones with no family to care for and I had a desk job, a handicapped hangtag, and a first floor apartment with no stairs, even before I ever got PF.

I think you will stay as well as you are (or better) for a long time if you are careful not to mess up for a few months. That will let your feet heal even further.

Obviously you are doing the right things for your feet! Even if you do get worse, now you know 'the way out' of your own PF labyrinthe.

Carole C

CarlW on 6/11/02 at 08:34 (087067)

John,

Thanks for posting your status. You give us all hope which I think is one of the most important attributes in dealing with this terrible condition.

I hope your healing continues.

Carl

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:47 (087094)

Carole: you are correct in your assessment 'even if you get worse---'. If a person knows his/her pain will get better they can normally get through it. If you think the pain is something that want get better and you may have to endure for life it is a whole new ball game (anxiety,depression and lots of other bad stuff).

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:51 (087095)

Thanks Carl! Certainly I always look for success stories to look for hope. Just hope it all continues. Almost 8 years of this in both feet sucks.

Pauline on 6/10/02 at 11:48 (086945)

John,
Have you noticed at all through your journey with P.F. if your flareup's come at times of additional stress, such as illness, death of a loved one or friend, holiday time, travel, overworked etc.

I've been tracking my P.F. and have found flareups seem to come on for no reason until I examine what's happen or happening in my life at the time. When I go back and read my journal I notice the pattern. I'm wondering if you go from a 1 to a 3 at times of stress?

Also have you ever noticed any sensation in the palm of your hand usually from the base of the hand running upward toward the first finger at the time of flareups?

If you haven't specifically followed this could you track it for a while?
I think it would be interesting to see if anyone having flareups find they are timed to additional stress and if the hand tissue is involved at all.

This of course is following a full blown case of P.F. when your in a stage of recovery. If anyone else would consider tracking this I would be interested in your findings.

john h on 6/10/02 at 12:01 (086946)

Pauline: I have not kept a PF diary which I wish I had but I most certainly would not rule out stress as a factor in a flareup of PF. As you know stress causes muscle contractions in the back and neck for many people and certainly stess in the back muscles could manifest itself in the feet. In fact I would think that stress very much could be a factor in PF flareups. Stress increases adrenlin output, drives up blood pressure, can drive up blood surgar levels, cause muscle contractions, increase respiration and cause a host of other physical and mental problems so why not a PF flareup?

yasmin on 6/10/02 at 15:38 (086975)

John

Just wanted to say I am glad you're getting better, I hope its all the way up from now on!

yasmin

Carole C in NOLA on 6/10/02 at 17:46 (087001)

John, what wonderful news! I can stop feeling sad that you have had PF for 7 years and still feel worse than me, because it sounds like we are about on the same level of pain now. A pain level of 0-1 most of the time sure beats a pain level of 1-4, doesn't it!

I agree wholeheartedly with your list of helpful stuff, especially ice, pay attention to your activities, and knowledge. So much of this is learning what wierd little things you have to avoid doing for a while in order to prevent setbacks, for long enough that healing can occur.

Again, I'm very cheered up to hear of how well you are doing, and I definitely join you in saying 'Thank You' to the experts, the board participants, and especially to Scott who recognized the need for this site and then tackled that problem head on in creating it.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 6/10/02 at 17:51 (087004)

Pauline, I've noticed that for me stress and PF problems come at the same time, but then which came first, the chicken or the egg?

When I'm feeling stressed, I'm less likely to be taking care of my PF properly and I'm more likely to do stupid things. My foot and leg muscles and tendons are tense and/or tight, and it's easier for me to strain tight tissues than relaxed ones.

When my PF hurts me, the constant pain and inability to participate in life stresses me horribly, and things that I could normally cope with become more difficult.

I've never had any hand problems.

Carole C

john h on 6/10/02 at 17:56 (087006)

the difference betwween a pain level of 1 and 4 for me is like night an day. at a pain level of 4 I spent limited time on my feet. no walking 2 or 3 miles, no mowing the yard on my feet (rider rather than my pusher) and most importantly a difference in attitude and sense of well being. i cannot imagine how our people who are at a pain level of 6-10 make it day to day and attend to familes and try to hold down a job. just hope I can stay as well as I am for as long as possible and maybe for a long time.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/10/02 at 18:08 (087008)

Exactly!!! At last I am able to LIVE my life, with a few inconveniences that are hardly noticeable (like taking six pairs of shoes on my holiday).

I don't know how people with pain level 6-10 do it either. I was that way for about three months while working and living alone, and it really broke me down emotionally. I was even thinking of seeing a shrink, except that I knew it was situational so I thought I could handle it. And yet I'm one of the lucky ones with no family to care for and I had a desk job, a handicapped hangtag, and a first floor apartment with no stairs, even before I ever got PF.

I think you will stay as well as you are (or better) for a long time if you are careful not to mess up for a few months. That will let your feet heal even further.

Obviously you are doing the right things for your feet! Even if you do get worse, now you know 'the way out' of your own PF labyrinthe.

Carole C

CarlW on 6/11/02 at 08:34 (087067)

John,

Thanks for posting your status. You give us all hope which I think is one of the most important attributes in dealing with this terrible condition.

I hope your healing continues.

Carl

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:47 (087094)

Carole: you are correct in your assessment 'even if you get worse---'. If a person knows his/her pain will get better they can normally get through it. If you think the pain is something that want get better and you may have to endure for life it is a whole new ball game (anxiety,depression and lots of other bad stuff).

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:51 (087095)

Thanks Carl! Certainly I always look for success stories to look for hope. Just hope it all continues. Almost 8 years of this in both feet sucks.