Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

can PF and arthritis be connected

Posted by Rachel W. on 6/10/02 at 12:26 (086950)

I haven't put any messages on here for quite a while. I don't know if anyone remembers me.
I have had, I assume, PF since middle of February and it is quite severe now. I have been doing all the things that have been suggested on this website but unfortunately I don't seem to be getting any better.
However, within the last couple of weeks my knee and elbow have swollen up and become very painful and almost taken over the misery I have been having with my feet.
When does it ever end?
I'm waiting for bloodtest results at the moment and am seeing my GP on Friday to see if it is arthritis.
I have read up on the internet about arthritis and many of the causes of the disease seem to be hereditary or the immune system being low.
I thought that my PF was due to me starting a job in January in a kitchen being on my feet 5 to 6 hours a day which I have never done before.
Now I am baffled.
I know my job could have caused the PF, but I wonder whether I have PF now.
Could a job like that cause arthritis or could PF cause arthritis or was
starting that job just a coincidence?

Re: can PF and arthritis be connected

Carole C in NOLA on 6/10/02 at 12:41 (086955)

Rachel, I'll let the doctors answer that, but I have an additional observation.

I've been treated for osteoarthritis in the knees for several years now, and was quite crippled with it.

I noticed, to my amazement, that when I wore my custom orthotics my knees hurt much less.

Then, when I went back to shoes (the neutral cushioning NB 879) they started hurting as much as before! ouch.

I just bought another pair of shoes (the stability/cushioning NB 991 which are for slight to moderate pronators) and surprise! My knees hurt much less again.

So, do shoes cure arthritic knees? Probably not, but my rheumatologist is one of the best in my area and he's baffled. He told me a few years ago that he'd never seen osteoarthritis that looked that bad on the x-ray and so on. But the pain is greatly reduced with these new shoes.

Maybe I should have been seeing a DPM instead of a rheumatologist, all this time. Anyway, I'm cancelling my regular appointment with my rheumatologist on Friday, and I'll stop using Celebrex now.

Carole C

Rachel W. on 6/10/02 at 16:08 (086983)

Carole

It's funny you should say that about the orthotics because it was around the time I got my orthotics that I developed my knee problem. I didn't think much of it as I have the same problem in my elbow and I couldn't see the connection with that.

Anyway, thanks for your advice. Its interesting to know.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/10/02 at 17:28 (086998)

That is very interesting, Rachel. I've noticed that when my knees get inflamed and painful, my shoulders and elbows get that way too, but to a lesser extent. I don't know why.

I was thinking of you today as I sailed into a briefing at work, because me knees didn't hurt. I feel like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz, after he got a squirt of oil on his joints. I just hope that these shoes work out in other ways, too, and don't just have a different set of problems. Time will tell.

Carole C

Rachel W. on 6/11/02 at 03:54 (087051)

Carole,

I know exactly what you mean about the Tin man except I haven't had an oiling yet. My husband suggested that if a part of you has inflammation it gets in the bloodstream and could spread to other parts of the body.
I don't know whether he's right or just talking a load of rubbish.
Anyway, I have started taking cod liver oil capsules within the passed week because I've heard that it's good for joints. I'll have to wait and see what happens. I'm also using ibuprofen gel twice a day. Doesn't seem to have made any difference though.

Rachel.

Re: Can I have an answer from any of the doctors please

Rachel W. on 6/11/02 at 05:27 (087053)

I want to know whether PF can spread to other parts of the body or am I being ridiculous and could I just have arthritis or am I unlucky and have PF and arthritis.
Can inflammation spread.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/11/02 at 10:31 (087086)

Rachel:

Plantar fasciitis to my knowledge can not spread to other parts of the body. You can have compensations that may occur in other parts of the body.

Dr. Jon Cozzarelli

Rachel W. on 6/11/02 at 12:10 (087117)

Dr. Jon,

I was thinking the problems with my knee could have been from walking around on my knees before I started to use a crutch, and the problem with my right elbow could be from getting up off the sofa and putting all the weight onto my right elbow as I would have the crutch in my left hand. The only thing is they both flared up on the same day and I hadn't been walking on my knees for over a week as I had the crutches now.
Who knows. I might be totally wrong and have arthritis after all. I'll just have to wait and see.

Rachel.

R C on 6/11/02 at 14:02 (087144)

Rachel,

I had a similar experience with PF (right foot only) leading to pain in other areas. I had a sore left hip from hobbling around for two years; eight weeks on crutches gave me lower back pain, aching wrists and a throbbing shoulder. Driving home from the orthopaedic doctor (who put the cast on), I pulled a thigh muscle from operating the gas pedal and brake with my left leg. It's all better now, including the PF. There's hope for you, too.

Inflammation (as such) is not a separate substance that can spread via the bloodstream the way cancer does.

Since your PF is apparently work related, you might try searching here under Workman's Comp. Warning: It's a whole 'nother can of worms, however.

Best wishes-
RC

Rachel W. on 6/12/02 at 07:58 (087251)

Thanks RC, I'll have a search.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/10/02 at 12:41 (086955)

Rachel, I'll let the doctors answer that, but I have an additional observation.

I've been treated for osteoarthritis in the knees for several years now, and was quite crippled with it.

I noticed, to my amazement, that when I wore my custom orthotics my knees hurt much less.

Then, when I went back to shoes (the neutral cushioning NB 879) they started hurting as much as before! ouch.

I just bought another pair of shoes (the stability/cushioning NB 991 which are for slight to moderate pronators) and surprise! My knees hurt much less again.

So, do shoes cure arthritic knees? Probably not, but my rheumatologist is one of the best in my area and he's baffled. He told me a few years ago that he'd never seen osteoarthritis that looked that bad on the x-ray and so on. But the pain is greatly reduced with these new shoes.

Maybe I should have been seeing a DPM instead of a rheumatologist, all this time. Anyway, I'm cancelling my regular appointment with my rheumatologist on Friday, and I'll stop using Celebrex now.

Carole C

Rachel W. on 6/10/02 at 16:08 (086983)

Carole

It's funny you should say that about the orthotics because it was around the time I got my orthotics that I developed my knee problem. I didn't think much of it as I have the same problem in my elbow and I couldn't see the connection with that.

Anyway, thanks for your advice. Its interesting to know.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/10/02 at 17:28 (086998)

That is very interesting, Rachel. I've noticed that when my knees get inflamed and painful, my shoulders and elbows get that way too, but to a lesser extent. I don't know why.

I was thinking of you today as I sailed into a briefing at work, because me knees didn't hurt. I feel like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz, after he got a squirt of oil on his joints. I just hope that these shoes work out in other ways, too, and don't just have a different set of problems. Time will tell.

Carole C

Rachel W. on 6/11/02 at 03:54 (087051)

Carole,

I know exactly what you mean about the Tin man except I haven't had an oiling yet. My husband suggested that if a part of you has inflammation it gets in the bloodstream and could spread to other parts of the body.
I don't know whether he's right or just talking a load of rubbish.
Anyway, I have started taking cod liver oil capsules within the passed week because I've heard that it's good for joints. I'll have to wait and see what happens. I'm also using ibuprofen gel twice a day. Doesn't seem to have made any difference though.

Rachel.

Rachel W. on 6/11/02 at 05:27 (087053)

I want to know whether PF can spread to other parts of the body or am I being ridiculous and could I just have arthritis or am I unlucky and have PF and arthritis.
Can inflammation spread.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/11/02 at 10:31 (087086)

Rachel:

Plantar fasciitis to my knowledge can not spread to other parts of the body. You can have compensations that may occur in other parts of the body.

Dr. Jon Cozzarelli

Rachel W. on 6/11/02 at 12:10 (087117)

Dr. Jon,

I was thinking the problems with my knee could have been from walking around on my knees before I started to use a crutch, and the problem with my right elbow could be from getting up off the sofa and putting all the weight onto my right elbow as I would have the crutch in my left hand. The only thing is they both flared up on the same day and I hadn't been walking on my knees for over a week as I had the crutches now.
Who knows. I might be totally wrong and have arthritis after all. I'll just have to wait and see.

Rachel.

R C on 6/11/02 at 14:02 (087144)

Rachel,

I had a similar experience with PF (right foot only) leading to pain in other areas. I had a sore left hip from hobbling around for two years; eight weeks on crutches gave me lower back pain, aching wrists and a throbbing shoulder. Driving home from the orthopaedic doctor (who put the cast on), I pulled a thigh muscle from operating the gas pedal and brake with my left leg. It's all better now, including the PF. There's hope for you, too.

Inflammation (as such) is not a separate substance that can spread via the bloodstream the way cancer does.

Since your PF is apparently work related, you might try searching here under Workman's Comp. Warning: It's a whole 'nother can of worms, however.

Best wishes-
RC

Rachel W. on 6/12/02 at 07:58 (087251)

Thanks RC, I'll have a search.