Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ossatron Experience ... heel pain moved to outside

Posted by Tim V on 6/10/02 at 19:12 (087016)

Hello, I had the Ossatron on my right heel 15 wks ago. It has dramatically reduced the debilitating PF pain in front of heel I have had for 18 months. Starting right after the procedure (with first weight bearing steps). I have a new pain on the lateral side about mid-heel (lateral insertion point?). I had lots of first steps pain here right after the procedure, but it is now changing to increased resting pain after walking/end of day. There is a discrete pain area that can be located by palpation. I had no pain at this point before the Ossatron. It feels closer to the heel surface than the old pain in front of heel which seemed 'deeper'. The bump or firm/tender area has moved from the medial front to center/lateral portion of the heel. I have never had any tingling or numbness before or after the procedure and have repeatedly tested negative for Tinel's sign.

I had the procedure (new to the area) done at the Regional Lithotripsy Services center in Portland, OR. My doctor has done 12-15 of these in the past year but doesn't seem to have an explanation for my new pain. He is prescribing an ankle-foot orthotic. I am very happy that ESWT appears to have resolved my orignal recalcitrant pain but disappointed about this new pain.

I am curious if any of the doctors (Dr. Z?) posting to this board could offer an explanation or if they have seen this occur. Is it possible that the ESWT caused an acute PF on the lateral side? What does ESWT do to a healthy heel? Or is it likely that I had some PF there and since the main target was in front of the heel, the ESWT energy aggravated this rather than starting its healing magic. Is ESWT ever done at the lateral insertion?

This website/message board is a wonderful info exchange resource for PF sufferers.

Any insight/experience would be appreciated. Thank you

Re: Ossatron Experience ... heel pain moved to outside

DR Zuckerman on 6/10/02 at 20:42 (087022)

Hi

Yes I have seen this. A few things could cause this. First you have some pf at the lateral band and now that the medial pain is gone the lateral band is now more painful. You could be walking on the lateral side of the foot due to pain on the medial side. So what to do .I would go for one steriod injection that can heal it up or a retreat in that area. I have treated the lateral side many many time and cleared this problem up.

Re: Ossatron Experience ... heel pain moved to outside

DR Zuckerman on 6/10/02 at 20:42 (087022)

Hi

Yes I have seen this. A few things could cause this. First you have some pf at the lateral band and now that the medial pain is gone the lateral band is now more painful. You could be walking on the lateral side of the foot due to pain on the medial side. So what to do .I would go for one steriod injection that can heal it up or a retreat in that area. I have treated the lateral side many many time and cleared this problem up.