Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Always something

Posted by wendyn on 6/10/02 at 21:17 (087026)

You know, if this keeps up I am going to end up a walking medical dictionary.

I have had trouble lately with some strange heart palpitations. I am too busy to pay attention to them and they stop just as suddenly as they start. Since I have not died from them yet I choose to ignore them.

Today I went to the gym and this strange feeling started right as I left the change room. I got on the bike and the machine beeped at me that my warm up was over (!?). Without doing anything my heart rate according to the monitor on the bike was 166 bpm. I usually have to work HARD to get it up to 150.

I went to the doctors later in the afternoon. My blood pressure and heart rate were normal. He sent me for some blood work and heart tests. During the EKG my resting heart rate was about 90 bpm which is still too high. She had me get up and lie back down and it shot up to 125.

My doctor thinks it's 'paroxysmal atrial tachycardia' which apprently sounds worse than it is.

They'll make sure it's not my thyroid or something causing this and I'll have to cut out all caffiene again (I'd been off it for a long time till about a year ago).

It doesn't sound like the condition is a big deal - if the heart rate doesn't slow back down on it's own, they have a medication that will do it when necessary. Sometimes these arrythimias can be stopped by coughing hard or drinking ice water (?)

I should get a part time job as a medical transcriptionist.

Re: Always something

Suzanne D on 6/10/02 at 21:37 (087030)

Dear Wendy,

I'm sure that was a frightening experience for you! I'm glad you know what it is - even if it IS hard to spell!

About 18 years ago, I started having some of those strange heart palpitations you described. They would come and go, and as you said, sometimes if I was really busy, I could just sort of ignore them. I remember once while playing the piano at church that it felt as if my heart was 'lurching' and surprised me as I was not doing anything strenuous.

I went to the doctor who sent me to a cardiologist and then for an echocardiogram. It was determined that I have mitral valve prolapse syndrome (which also sounds worse than it is). Basically, one valve in my heart doesn't close exactly right, but sort of flops a few times as it is closing like an old screen door might do. I have to take antibiotics before dental work or if I have surgery to protect from possible infection in the wall of the heart which might get through the leaky valve.

I also have an 'irregular heart rhythm' which the doctor said sometimes goes along with the mitral valve thing but sometimes doesn't. I guess that's what the skipping, lurching feeling was all about. I remember right before my hysterectomy 15 years ago, the anethesist looked over at the doctor quickly after checking my heart rate, and I heard the doctor say, 'It's o.k. We know about that.'

I was told to leave off caffeine (I still drink a Pepsi if I have to drive at night and am feeling sleepy!) and that stress made it worse. What DOESN'T stress make worse?! :-) I do remember after my father died how my chest hurt and I felt more of the strange sensations.

But most of the time, it doesn't bother me in the least. I often forget all about it until I hear someone telling about an irregular beat. But I remember how strange it felt initially and how it was good to hear a diagnosis.

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 6/10/02 at 21:38 (087031)

Wendy, that sounds similar to what I had a couple of months ago, remember? Luckily, in my case it was apparently just due to too much coffee.

It sure scared me silly, though. Mine was skipping beats too. He did an EKG on it the day before I went to sea and since it came out all right and the blood work came out all right, he gave me the go-ahead. He did tell me 'no more coffee' which I obeyed for a couple of weeks, and now I'm drinking it again. :(

I hope that it turns out to be just a problem with coffee in your case, too!

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 6/10/02 at 21:41 (087034)

Dang it! That sucks Wendy!

My heart beats over 100 beats per minute (resting) unless I keep on this beta blocker...it gave me migraines and my nerves were shot (made my pf worse since I tensed up). My doctor mainly put me on it 'to make me feel better'. My blood pressure shot up to 140/90 ... it is now like 128/70.
If I lose weight, I can get off the beta blocker (says my doc)

Caffaine makes the beta blocker useless...so I stopped for awhile and BAM! Headache and nervousness back.

I am now back on it.

I say all this in hopes that maybe it will help you girlfriend...somehow.

wendyn on 6/10/02 at 22:29 (087044)

You guys always make me feel better!

I have heard of mitral valve prolapse - but he does not think this is what I have. I was happy to hear that because I hate antibiotics and I'd be most unhappy to have to take them more often.

From what I understand, once it's confirmed, it's mostly a matter of learning not to trigger it.

The biggest reason I wasn't too afraid today is because this has happened enough before. I really wasn't even sure it was my heart I was feeling since it was more like a weird fluttering than a pounding. It was really just a good coincidence that I happened to be right at the gym when it started.

I had a VERY bad experience from taking a liquid form of ventolin once (I think it was Alupin sp?) My heart raced for about 3 hours from a half a dose. I should have gone to the hospital but I was too afraid to move or get out of bed.

I also have to be careful with cold medicines for the same reason.

CarlW on 6/11/02 at 08:22 (087066)

Wendy,

That must have been scary. I am glad you are getting it checked out right away and that it sounds like something that can be controlled easily.

If caffeine is restricted I would be happy to buy you a Moulson product instead.

Take care,

Carl

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:31 (087088)

Could also be an Anxiety attack Wendy. They can come for no reason what so ever.

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:33 (087090)

Carole do you spell coffee - G I N? You got to lay off the booze and those younger men you are seeing.

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:38 (087092)

I am sure most of you have heard of White Coat Blood Pressure. It is very common to have your blood pressure to be high at the doctors office. At the health club and at home my blood pressure can be 108/73 and my pulse in the low 70's. At the doc's office it is always much higher. If you think you have high blood pressure you should buy a monitor and take it regularly at home so that you are not put on a lifetime medicaton that you may not need. You can also be fitted by the doctor with a monitor that takes your pressure throughout the day and records it so you get a sense of how your pressure is on a regular day.

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:40 (087093)

Wendy: My wife has had mitral valve prolapse all her life. It is very very common. The only effect it has on her is she takes an atibiotic before going to the dentist. I have read lately that may not even be necessary.

Suzanne D on 6/11/02 at 11:14 (087104)

Yes, John, my family doctor has told me not long ago that there is a growing belief that the antibiotics may not be necessary for mitral prolapse before a dentist visit. But my dentist said he would not touch me unless I was premedicated. I guess he isn't as familiar with the new research. Anyway, it's just one Biaxin pill which I take an hour before the appointment. So it's not a big deal to me. I was initially prescribed Erythromycin (sp.?) for a couple of days before the visit, and it was so hard to remember and hard on my stomach. The doctor changed it to the one Biaxin pill about three years ago, and that is easier to remember and to take.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/11/02 at 11:28 (087109)

(giggle) John, you cheer me up. :)

Actually, I did drink last weekend, on my birthday. I had about two glasses of wine which finished off my (only) bottle.

Lately I haven't been seeing any men, much less younger ones. Guess I'm having a dry spell. But, I'm looking forward to fun in the sun in Florida so much, that I'd hardly noticed.

During my vacation, I'm going to be the designated driver and take my brother Bob and his friend (also Bob) to a singles bar. I've never been to one, but they are both newly single and want to see what it's like. So I'll go there and have a diet soda with two Bobs. I will not be interested in the guys, because I don't live in Florida and because guys in a singles bar are probably not my type. So they won't do much for me.

When I get back from Florida, I'll have to see if I can ferret out a few dates and get this old heart a'thumpin' again. (grin)

Carole C

Re: Some of John's suggestions

Kathy G on 6/11/02 at 13:21 (087128)

It always amazes me when John posts something forthright! I keep waiting for the punchline!

I have borderline high blood pressure and I take a very low dose of a medication to keep it in check. Because my mother and my grandmother died as the result of strokes, I am very conscientious about checking my blood pressure. As John mentioned, I have a blood pressure monitor I try to use at least once a week. I am embarassed to admit that I am so paranoid that if I sit down for the requisite 5 minutes before I take my pressure, it's always higher than if I just take it on the spur of the moment! I get that anxious about it being elevated! I have to play these mind games with myself. Actually, as I write this, I realize I should just ask my husband to spring it on me so I'm not thinking about it at all. Isn't that silly? And yes, I've had white-coat hypertension for years! However, it was never of any concern until I finally had to give up regular exercise because of my stupid feet! One more thing to blame on PF!

Re: To Wendyn

Kathy G on 6/11/02 at 13:22 (087129)

You must have been really scared! I'm glad that it turned out not to be serious. Hope you don't have too hard a time cutting back on the caffeine!

Good Luck!

wendyn on 6/11/02 at 13:34 (087133)

Believe it or not, I wasn't that scared. It's happened several times before and it always just went away - it's just that all those other times I really didn't realize what was happening.

Now - if this had been the only time I'd felt this way - then I would have been REAL scared!

I've had no caffiene today, I'm having a small cup with half decaf right now because I'm getting a withdrawal headache.

I've quit caffiene before, and come to think of it - even a year ago I was telling people that I didn't drink it. I'm not sure what happened, it seems to have just snuck back in to my diet.

wendyn on 6/11/02 at 13:40 (087134)

John, mine was actually fine at the doctor's office, I think it was about 110 over 78. What caused the excitement yesterday was my heart rate, and how much it went up just from bending over once.

I feel much more normal today, but I have a withdrawal headache.

I have eaten about ever 90 minutes today, and lots of protein - my blood sugar feels much more normal. It's very hard to eat this often when you are in meetings all day.

wendyn on 6/11/02 at 13:42 (087135)

You are right John, but I have actually had those before and these are definately not them (fortunately I haven't had one for a very long time). My doctor agreed that this is something else.

It's not preceeded by anything other than sometimes bending over, and it happens VERY suddenly - within a split second. It also stops usually quite suddenly. I haven't had any feelings of anxiety, shortness of breath, sweating etc that would accompany a panic attack.

wendyn on 6/11/02 at 13:44 (087137)

A caffiene free molson product sounds lovely Carl.

Re: Monitoring your blood pressure at home

Sharon W on 6/11/02 at 13:55 (087142)

John,

A couple of years ago I was helping out in the emergency department of the hospital where I worked. A man came in who probably would soon have had a 'heart attack' -- I don't want to repeat any confidential information here but his heart rhythm had changed to something not compatible with long-term survival. He told me this story: he woke up in the morning feeling a little 'off' and he thought he might be coming down with the flu or something. AS PART OF HIS USUAL EVERYDAY MORNING ROUTINE, he checked his blood pressure and found that it was noticably higher on both numbers than usually. So he immediately called his family doctor and made an appointment for that same morning. He reported the high blood pressure reading to his doctor, and his doctor responded by listening to his heart with a stethescope, then ordering an EKG, and then sending him immediately by ambulance to the emergency room. The cardiologist who attended him there was able to do a procedure called a 'cardioversion' which was delightfully successful, and the man and his wife were sent home, holding hands and with huge smiles on their faces, in time for lunch. (The man did have a new prescription medicine to take daily -- but he had completely avoided the death to heart muscle that is what we refer to as a 'heart attack'.)

Taking your blood pressure every day at home can literally save your life!

-- Sharon

john h on 6/11/02 at 15:11 (087149)

Suzanne: I am sure the Dentist are protecting themselves against a possible law suit.

john h on 6/11/02 at 15:19 (087152)

Between the health club and home I take my blood pressure 4-5 times a week. It is always uplifting to see those low numbers.

nancy s. on 6/12/02 at 00:03 (087229)

wendy, at this point never mind the medical transcriptionist. i think you should go to medical school and become a doctor.

as you may know, i've been off caffeine for several years now. i've learned to fake myself out completely -- when i'm drinking a cup of decaf, i actually believe that my eyes are growing bigger and energy is beginning to course through my veins & muscles and that without this cup of decaf i'd have to return to bed.

you can do it!

nancy

wendyn on 6/12/02 at 07:52 (087247)

Thanks Nancy - but caffiene withdrawal can be really gross - it triggered a migraine yesterday and I went to bed the minute I got home from work. I still don't feel great and I'm debating wheter or not I can even go to work today.

nancy s. on 6/12/02 at 11:08 (087306)

sorry, wendy -- that sounds nasty. i hope you feel better soon, and my cavalierness about caffeine withdrawal is over!
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 6/12/02 at 13:15 (087319)

Wendy, maybe it would help to withdraw from caffeine slowly instead of all at once. Like, if you drink two cups of coffee a day, go to one cup a day for a week before cutting it out completely.

Trying to be helpful,

Carole C

Kathy G on 6/12/02 at 13:40 (087325)

My sister cut out caffeine by drinking half regular/half decaf coffee at first. Then she made it so that one cup was all decaf and the next was half-and-half, etc. until she finally was on all decaf. Of course, she was getting all her caffeine from coffee. If it's also diet drinks, I guess you could do that same thing.

My husband, who didn't think he was addicted to caffeine, finds that he gets a headache on his days off if he doesn't drink some diet soda. It's insidious, the way it creeps up on you.

Just some suggestions. I know it can be a very hard thing to kick and I guess the secret is to do it very gradually!

wendyn on 6/12/02 at 19:39 (087366)

Thanks Carole, in retrospect - that would have been wiser!!!!-

wendyn on 6/12/02 at 19:45 (087367)

Kathy - indeed, I highly recommend the gradually thing!!! The only reason I went cold turkey is because of what happened Monday. I figured that it may be better to suffer through the withdrawal if it may mean eliminating these new problems.

To anyone else considering giving up caffiene - don't do it all at once!!!!

I did end up staying home today, in a dark basement taking lots of pain killers.

john h on 6/12/02 at 22:02 (087394)

Wendy: have you seen the bottled water they sell with caffene in it? it just recently came on the market at $2 to $2.50 for a small bottle.

wendyn on 6/12/02 at 22:50 (087407)

Bottled water with caffeine in it? Weird. No, I have not seen it. My caffeine days are over though, so I don't think I'll be trying it if it does show up here.

Kathy G on 6/13/02 at 08:37 (087436)

Wendyn,

Hope the headache is gone and you're feeling better. Gradual is better but it's understandable that you did it abruptly after the scare you had.

Have a nice weekend!

john h on 6/13/02 at 09:58 (087444)

Wemdy: If you had a scotch and water (caffeine water) would you get a kick or what?

wendyn on 6/13/02 at 21:38 (087520)

John, you'd get kicked down and then back up again

Suzanne D on 6/10/02 at 21:37 (087030)

Dear Wendy,

I'm sure that was a frightening experience for you! I'm glad you know what it is - even if it IS hard to spell!

About 18 years ago, I started having some of those strange heart palpitations you described. They would come and go, and as you said, sometimes if I was really busy, I could just sort of ignore them. I remember once while playing the piano at church that it felt as if my heart was 'lurching' and surprised me as I was not doing anything strenuous.

I went to the doctor who sent me to a cardiologist and then for an echocardiogram. It was determined that I have mitral valve prolapse syndrome (which also sounds worse than it is). Basically, one valve in my heart doesn't close exactly right, but sort of flops a few times as it is closing like an old screen door might do. I have to take antibiotics before dental work or if I have surgery to protect from possible infection in the wall of the heart which might get through the leaky valve.

I also have an 'irregular heart rhythm' which the doctor said sometimes goes along with the mitral valve thing but sometimes doesn't. I guess that's what the skipping, lurching feeling was all about. I remember right before my hysterectomy 15 years ago, the anethesist looked over at the doctor quickly after checking my heart rate, and I heard the doctor say, 'It's o.k. We know about that.'

I was told to leave off caffeine (I still drink a Pepsi if I have to drive at night and am feeling sleepy!) and that stress made it worse. What DOESN'T stress make worse?! :-) I do remember after my father died how my chest hurt and I felt more of the strange sensations.

But most of the time, it doesn't bother me in the least. I often forget all about it until I hear someone telling about an irregular beat. But I remember how strange it felt initially and how it was good to hear a diagnosis.

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 6/10/02 at 21:38 (087031)

Wendy, that sounds similar to what I had a couple of months ago, remember? Luckily, in my case it was apparently just due to too much coffee.

It sure scared me silly, though. Mine was skipping beats too. He did an EKG on it the day before I went to sea and since it came out all right and the blood work came out all right, he gave me the go-ahead. He did tell me 'no more coffee' which I obeyed for a couple of weeks, and now I'm drinking it again. :(

I hope that it turns out to be just a problem with coffee in your case, too!

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 6/10/02 at 21:41 (087034)

Dang it! That sucks Wendy!

My heart beats over 100 beats per minute (resting) unless I keep on this beta blocker...it gave me migraines and my nerves were shot (made my pf worse since I tensed up). My doctor mainly put me on it 'to make me feel better'. My blood pressure shot up to 140/90 ... it is now like 128/70.
If I lose weight, I can get off the beta blocker (says my doc)

Caffaine makes the beta blocker useless...so I stopped for awhile and BAM! Headache and nervousness back.

I am now back on it.

I say all this in hopes that maybe it will help you girlfriend...somehow.

wendyn on 6/10/02 at 22:29 (087044)

You guys always make me feel better!

I have heard of mitral valve prolapse - but he does not think this is what I have. I was happy to hear that because I hate antibiotics and I'd be most unhappy to have to take them more often.

From what I understand, once it's confirmed, it's mostly a matter of learning not to trigger it.

The biggest reason I wasn't too afraid today is because this has happened enough before. I really wasn't even sure it was my heart I was feeling since it was more like a weird fluttering than a pounding. It was really just a good coincidence that I happened to be right at the gym when it started.

I had a VERY bad experience from taking a liquid form of ventolin once (I think it was Alupin sp?) My heart raced for about 3 hours from a half a dose. I should have gone to the hospital but I was too afraid to move or get out of bed.

I also have to be careful with cold medicines for the same reason.

CarlW on 6/11/02 at 08:22 (087066)

Wendy,

That must have been scary. I am glad you are getting it checked out right away and that it sounds like something that can be controlled easily.

If caffeine is restricted I would be happy to buy you a Moulson product instead.

Take care,

Carl

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:31 (087088)

Could also be an Anxiety attack Wendy. They can come for no reason what so ever.

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:33 (087090)

Carole do you spell coffee - G I N? You got to lay off the booze and those younger men you are seeing.

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:38 (087092)

I am sure most of you have heard of White Coat Blood Pressure. It is very common to have your blood pressure to be high at the doctors office. At the health club and at home my blood pressure can be 108/73 and my pulse in the low 70's. At the doc's office it is always much higher. If you think you have high blood pressure you should buy a monitor and take it regularly at home so that you are not put on a lifetime medicaton that you may not need. You can also be fitted by the doctor with a monitor that takes your pressure throughout the day and records it so you get a sense of how your pressure is on a regular day.

john h on 6/11/02 at 10:40 (087093)

Wendy: My wife has had mitral valve prolapse all her life. It is very very common. The only effect it has on her is she takes an atibiotic before going to the dentist. I have read lately that may not even be necessary.

Suzanne D on 6/11/02 at 11:14 (087104)

Yes, John, my family doctor has told me not long ago that there is a growing belief that the antibiotics may not be necessary for mitral prolapse before a dentist visit. But my dentist said he would not touch me unless I was premedicated. I guess he isn't as familiar with the new research. Anyway, it's just one Biaxin pill which I take an hour before the appointment. So it's not a big deal to me. I was initially prescribed Erythromycin (sp.?) for a couple of days before the visit, and it was so hard to remember and hard on my stomach. The doctor changed it to the one Biaxin pill about three years ago, and that is easier to remember and to take.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/11/02 at 11:28 (087109)

(giggle) John, you cheer me up. :)

Actually, I did drink last weekend, on my birthday. I had about two glasses of wine which finished off my (only) bottle.

Lately I haven't been seeing any men, much less younger ones. Guess I'm having a dry spell. But, I'm looking forward to fun in the sun in Florida so much, that I'd hardly noticed.

During my vacation, I'm going to be the designated driver and take my brother Bob and his friend (also Bob) to a singles bar. I've never been to one, but they are both newly single and want to see what it's like. So I'll go there and have a diet soda with two Bobs. I will not be interested in the guys, because I don't live in Florida and because guys in a singles bar are probably not my type. So they won't do much for me.

When I get back from Florida, I'll have to see if I can ferret out a few dates and get this old heart a'thumpin' again. (grin)

Carole C

Re: Some of John's suggestions

Kathy G on 6/11/02 at 13:21 (087128)

It always amazes me when John posts something forthright! I keep waiting for the punchline!

I have borderline high blood pressure and I take a very low dose of a medication to keep it in check. Because my mother and my grandmother died as the result of strokes, I am very conscientious about checking my blood pressure. As John mentioned, I have a blood pressure monitor I try to use at least once a week. I am embarassed to admit that I am so paranoid that if I sit down for the requisite 5 minutes before I take my pressure, it's always higher than if I just take it on the spur of the moment! I get that anxious about it being elevated! I have to play these mind games with myself. Actually, as I write this, I realize I should just ask my husband to spring it on me so I'm not thinking about it at all. Isn't that silly? And yes, I've had white-coat hypertension for years! However, it was never of any concern until I finally had to give up regular exercise because of my stupid feet! One more thing to blame on PF!

Kathy G on 6/11/02 at 13:22 (087129)

You must have been really scared! I'm glad that it turned out not to be serious. Hope you don't have too hard a time cutting back on the caffeine!

Good Luck!

wendyn on 6/11/02 at 13:34 (087133)

Believe it or not, I wasn't that scared. It's happened several times before and it always just went away - it's just that all those other times I really didn't realize what was happening.

Now - if this had been the only time I'd felt this way - then I would have been REAL scared!

I've had no caffiene today, I'm having a small cup with half decaf right now because I'm getting a withdrawal headache.

I've quit caffiene before, and come to think of it - even a year ago I was telling people that I didn't drink it. I'm not sure what happened, it seems to have just snuck back in to my diet.

wendyn on 6/11/02 at 13:40 (087134)

John, mine was actually fine at the doctor's office, I think it was about 110 over 78. What caused the excitement yesterday was my heart rate, and how much it went up just from bending over once.

I feel much more normal today, but I have a withdrawal headache.

I have eaten about ever 90 minutes today, and lots of protein - my blood sugar feels much more normal. It's very hard to eat this often when you are in meetings all day.

wendyn on 6/11/02 at 13:42 (087135)

You are right John, but I have actually had those before and these are definately not them (fortunately I haven't had one for a very long time). My doctor agreed that this is something else.

It's not preceeded by anything other than sometimes bending over, and it happens VERY suddenly - within a split second. It also stops usually quite suddenly. I haven't had any feelings of anxiety, shortness of breath, sweating etc that would accompany a panic attack.

wendyn on 6/11/02 at 13:44 (087137)

A caffiene free molson product sounds lovely Carl.

Sharon W on 6/11/02 at 13:55 (087142)

John,

A couple of years ago I was helping out in the emergency department of the hospital where I worked. A man came in who probably would soon have had a 'heart attack' -- I don't want to repeat any confidential information here but his heart rhythm had changed to something not compatible with long-term survival. He told me this story: he woke up in the morning feeling a little 'off' and he thought he might be coming down with the flu or something. AS PART OF HIS USUAL EVERYDAY MORNING ROUTINE, he checked his blood pressure and found that it was noticably higher on both numbers than usually. So he immediately called his family doctor and made an appointment for that same morning. He reported the high blood pressure reading to his doctor, and his doctor responded by listening to his heart with a stethescope, then ordering an EKG, and then sending him immediately by ambulance to the emergency room. The cardiologist who attended him there was able to do a procedure called a 'cardioversion' which was delightfully successful, and the man and his wife were sent home, holding hands and with huge smiles on their faces, in time for lunch. (The man did have a new prescription medicine to take daily -- but he had completely avoided the death to heart muscle that is what we refer to as a 'heart attack'.)

Taking your blood pressure every day at home can literally save your life!

-- Sharon

john h on 6/11/02 at 15:11 (087149)

Suzanne: I am sure the Dentist are protecting themselves against a possible law suit.

john h on 6/11/02 at 15:19 (087152)

Between the health club and home I take my blood pressure 4-5 times a week. It is always uplifting to see those low numbers.

nancy s. on 6/12/02 at 00:03 (087229)

wendy, at this point never mind the medical transcriptionist. i think you should go to medical school and become a doctor.

as you may know, i've been off caffeine for several years now. i've learned to fake myself out completely -- when i'm drinking a cup of decaf, i actually believe that my eyes are growing bigger and energy is beginning to course through my veins & muscles and that without this cup of decaf i'd have to return to bed.

you can do it!

nancy

wendyn on 6/12/02 at 07:52 (087247)

Thanks Nancy - but caffiene withdrawal can be really gross - it triggered a migraine yesterday and I went to bed the minute I got home from work. I still don't feel great and I'm debating wheter or not I can even go to work today.

nancy s. on 6/12/02 at 11:08 (087306)

sorry, wendy -- that sounds nasty. i hope you feel better soon, and my cavalierness about caffeine withdrawal is over!
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 6/12/02 at 13:15 (087319)

Wendy, maybe it would help to withdraw from caffeine slowly instead of all at once. Like, if you drink two cups of coffee a day, go to one cup a day for a week before cutting it out completely.

Trying to be helpful,

Carole C

Kathy G on 6/12/02 at 13:40 (087325)

My sister cut out caffeine by drinking half regular/half decaf coffee at first. Then she made it so that one cup was all decaf and the next was half-and-half, etc. until she finally was on all decaf. Of course, she was getting all her caffeine from coffee. If it's also diet drinks, I guess you could do that same thing.

My husband, who didn't think he was addicted to caffeine, finds that he gets a headache on his days off if he doesn't drink some diet soda. It's insidious, the way it creeps up on you.

Just some suggestions. I know it can be a very hard thing to kick and I guess the secret is to do it very gradually!

wendyn on 6/12/02 at 19:39 (087366)

Thanks Carole, in retrospect - that would have been wiser!!!!-

wendyn on 6/12/02 at 19:45 (087367)

Kathy - indeed, I highly recommend the gradually thing!!! The only reason I went cold turkey is because of what happened Monday. I figured that it may be better to suffer through the withdrawal if it may mean eliminating these new problems.

To anyone else considering giving up caffiene - don't do it all at once!!!!

I did end up staying home today, in a dark basement taking lots of pain killers.

john h on 6/12/02 at 22:02 (087394)

Wendy: have you seen the bottled water they sell with caffene in it? it just recently came on the market at $2 to $2.50 for a small bottle.

wendyn on 6/12/02 at 22:50 (087407)

Bottled water with caffeine in it? Weird. No, I have not seen it. My caffeine days are over though, so I don't think I'll be trying it if it does show up here.

Kathy G on 6/13/02 at 08:37 (087436)

Wendyn,

Hope the headache is gone and you're feeling better. Gradual is better but it's understandable that you did it abruptly after the scare you had.

Have a nice weekend!

john h on 6/13/02 at 09:58 (087444)

Wemdy: If you had a scotch and water (caffeine water) would you get a kick or what?

wendyn on 6/13/02 at 21:38 (087520)

John, you'd get kicked down and then back up again