Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fasciatis?

Posted by Mike M on 6/11/02 at 10:20 (087081)

i have a sharp pain in the middle of my left arch - i noticed it first when running-it felt like something was ripping inside my arch- a very sharp apin that i stupidly would run through, it would eventually go away , it happened irregularly for about a year - now i have the pain everyday just walking around, i ahven't been running regularly for 6 months, my feet are wide but not flat, i don't have any other problems associated with my legs or back, other than vericose veins and pretty tight calf muscles - does this condition sound common, and what is the normal treatment?

thank you, Mike

Re: plantar fasciatis?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/11/02 at 10:33 (087089)

Hi Mike :
It sounds as if you may of torn the plantar fascia. Has the foot been imaged? If the foot has plantar fasciitis the first step in the A.M. is usually the worst. I would suggest that yopu read Scoot's heel pain book and start with an MRI or diagnostic ultrasound. Treatment includes, physical therapy, NSAIDS, icing, stretching and sometimes ESWT.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: plantar fasciatis?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/11/02 at 10:33 (087089)

Hi Mike :
It sounds as if you may of torn the plantar fascia. Has the foot been imaged? If the foot has plantar fasciitis the first step in the A.M. is usually the worst. I would suggest that yopu read Scoot's heel pain book and start with an MRI or diagnostic ultrasound. Treatment includes, physical therapy, NSAIDS, icing, stretching and sometimes ESWT.

Dr. John Cozzarelli