Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lyra T -- compression socks?

Posted by Marty on 6/11/02 at 13:20 (087127)

Lura T,

Question, How can compression socks help TTS??? I can't have anything even touching that area. Right now I'm at work bare foot. I can't even ware socks much and when ever possible I take my shoes off. Then burning gets much worse when something touches it.

Marty

Re: Lyra T -- compression socks?

Lara T on 6/12/02 at 07:59 (087252)

I think you are writing to me and I had a typo on my name and it should be Lara (my mistake, not yours). Anyway, I'm not sure how compression socks help although we have some guesses (see below). I understand the c.socks help some people and cause pain to others. The reason I often encourage people to consider them is if they don't work, or cause pain, you can immediately solve the problem by taking the socks off. It's a fairly inexpensive (expensive socks, inexpensive treatment), non-invasive, easy thing to try.

My best guess as to why the socks work for me is that part of the problem is I have water retention. Compression socks are frequently used for varicose veins and edema, so may help other problems resulting from water retention? My symptoms came on when I started getting involved in sports again - they also came on when I started a medication that causes mild weight gain and water retention. If I listen to my mother and grandmothers complaints about their feet, I find that as they reached 70 or so, they started complaining about being on their feet and quit doing dinners for the family and other such things. Given that I was much more active than my mom & grandmom, I wonder if I just accelerated the process because we have some congenital form to our tarsal tunnel (I suspect narrow tunnels) that as age and use and such keep adding on, eventually we get TTS. That's my current theory anyway. Don't know if it makes sense, but probably doesn't matter if it does or doesn't.

Re: Lyra T -- compression socks?

Lara T on 6/12/02 at 07:59 (087252)

I think you are writing to me and I had a typo on my name and it should be Lara (my mistake, not yours). Anyway, I'm not sure how compression socks help although we have some guesses (see below). I understand the c.socks help some people and cause pain to others. The reason I often encourage people to consider them is if they don't work, or cause pain, you can immediately solve the problem by taking the socks off. It's a fairly inexpensive (expensive socks, inexpensive treatment), non-invasive, easy thing to try.

My best guess as to why the socks work for me is that part of the problem is I have water retention. Compression socks are frequently used for varicose veins and edema, so may help other problems resulting from water retention? My symptoms came on when I started getting involved in sports again - they also came on when I started a medication that causes mild weight gain and water retention. If I listen to my mother and grandmothers complaints about their feet, I find that as they reached 70 or so, they started complaining about being on their feet and quit doing dinners for the family and other such things. Given that I was much more active than my mom & grandmom, I wonder if I just accelerated the process because we have some congenital form to our tarsal tunnel (I suspect narrow tunnels) that as age and use and such keep adding on, eventually we get TTS. That's my current theory anyway. Don't know if it makes sense, but probably doesn't matter if it does or doesn't.