Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spurs

Posted by Susi on 6/11/02 at 15:07 (087148)

Wow what a great web site
I have been hobbling along with a painful heel for so long now that I decided to see the doctor. After an x-ray it was discovered that I have a calaneous spur. He prescribed antibiotics which I am taking, but after reading these pages am wondering if I should rather have that bugger removed. How long after surgery can you walk ? I cant take time of work and need my right foot to drive . Anyone out there that can explain the procedure to me.

Regards
Susi

Re: Heel Spurs

Pauline on 6/11/02 at 16:01 (087156)

Susi,
The best thing that you can do is to arm yourself with information about heelspurs. Begin by reading Scott's book. Yes homework again. Sounds like work, but without knowledge you may find yourself not asking the necessary questions to achieve your goal of becomming pain free.

There is no quick fix for this condition. All surgery should be taken very seriously even on your feet. No surgery is without risk, and there is no guarantee if you select this option, and rush into it thinking you'll get rid of your pain that may not happen.

This is how the game is played. Arm yourself with as much information from Scott's book by reading it, post questions and seek answers on this site, do your homework to find a good physician for treatment and keep a positive attitude.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, but it takes time, patience, lots of rest and consistent treatment offered by your physician.

My final suggestion is after you've selected your physician if you are offered a surgical option try ESWT first even if it means finding another physician. Remember conservative treatments first, surgery last resort.
Best of luck.

kay f on 6/11/02 at 20:09 (087197)

from what i have been told if you have a spur it is there because something else is wrong....plantar fasciitis or something. you need to find the cause of the spur rather than just having them removed because they'll just come back.
kay

Tonya on 6/11/02 at 21:09 (087209)

My doctor did not want to remove my spur when I had my fascia release done. He said that it would just cause unneccesary bleeding and trauma to my foot. He said that the spur was due to plantar fasciitis. Kind of like my body producing it's own band-aid. Now, I do not know if he just felt this was best in my case, or if it is what he believes as a whole. Just research as much as you can and exhaust all therapies before asking for surgery. You may be able to get by without it if you can get the inflammation down.

Susi on 6/12/02 at 03:13 (087236)

Where do I get hold of Scotts Book , what is it called. Bear in mind I live in South Africa, but Im sure i can get it here

john h on 6/12/02 at 10:50 (087304)

Susi: Scott's book is here on the board. Look on the bottom of this page and you will see The Heel Pain Book.

Pauline on 6/11/02 at 16:01 (087156)

Susi,
The best thing that you can do is to arm yourself with information about heelspurs. Begin by reading Scott's book. Yes homework again. Sounds like work, but without knowledge you may find yourself not asking the necessary questions to achieve your goal of becomming pain free.

There is no quick fix for this condition. All surgery should be taken very seriously even on your feet. No surgery is without risk, and there is no guarantee if you select this option, and rush into it thinking you'll get rid of your pain that may not happen.

This is how the game is played. Arm yourself with as much information from Scott's book by reading it, post questions and seek answers on this site, do your homework to find a good physician for treatment and keep a positive attitude.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, but it takes time, patience, lots of rest and consistent treatment offered by your physician.

My final suggestion is after you've selected your physician if you are offered a surgical option try ESWT first even if it means finding another physician. Remember conservative treatments first, surgery last resort.
Best of luck.

kay f on 6/11/02 at 20:09 (087197)

from what i have been told if you have a spur it is there because something else is wrong....plantar fasciitis or something. you need to find the cause of the spur rather than just having them removed because they'll just come back.
kay

Tonya on 6/11/02 at 21:09 (087209)

My doctor did not want to remove my spur when I had my fascia release done. He said that it would just cause unneccesary bleeding and trauma to my foot. He said that the spur was due to plantar fasciitis. Kind of like my body producing it's own band-aid. Now, I do not know if he just felt this was best in my case, or if it is what he believes as a whole. Just research as much as you can and exhaust all therapies before asking for surgery. You may be able to get by without it if you can get the inflammation down.

Susi on 6/12/02 at 03:13 (087236)

Where do I get hold of Scotts Book , what is it called. Bear in mind I live in South Africa, but Im sure i can get it here

john h on 6/12/02 at 10:50 (087304)

Susi: Scott's book is here on the board. Look on the bottom of this page and you will see The Heel Pain Book.