Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New to PF, can I still exercise?

Posted by Katrina B on 6/11/02 at 16:57 (087163)

I do not have a 'confirmed' case of PF (I have my first pod appt scheduled for next week), but I fit all the classic symptoms of PF. It started Saturday, pretty suddenly - pain in the heel with each step, radiating into the arch at times, worse when first getting up but a dull ache most of the day, etc. I also have several of the 'contributing factors' - I've always had very tight calf muscles, my left arch is moderately flat (which is where the PF pain is), and 3 months ago I became pretty active (exercise 5 times/week).

I am following the basic advice: icing 2-3 times a day, stretching calf and achilles several times a day, bought new sneakers with good cushioning and support, resting and elevating as much as possible (I'm a stay-at-home-mom to a very busy 3-year-old, so I can only rest so much)...

My question is: If I keep it low-impact, can I continue to do aerobics several times a week? Up until now, I've been doing pretty high-impact aerobics, with lots of jumps, twists, hops, etc. I don't want to over-do it, but I don't want to get out of the habit or benefits of the exercising I've been doing.

I appreciate any advice! Thanks.

Katrina

Re: New to PF, can I still exercise?

Carole C in NOLA on 6/11/02 at 17:55 (087174)

Katrina, my best advice, what I'd do myself if I was in your situation and if I was diagnosed with PF, is as follows.

I'd completely quit the aerobics, high or low impact, for now. Healing your feet has to be a much higher priority than exercise, or they may never heal. Rest is very important with PF. The question is not whether or not you can continue low impact aerobics, the question is whether you should even be on your feet long enough to go grocery shopping.

I hope the above isn't too blunt or upsetting. When I first got PF last September, it was from a new and poorly thought out exercise program that I had begun in order to lose weight, and until I was diagnosed I continued the particular exercise that caused my PF to begin with. If I had not done that, I think I would have healed in half the time. That is why I'm sounding like such a meanie.

Carole C

Re: New to PF, can I still exercise?

Carole C in NOLA on 6/11/02 at 17:55 (087174)

Katrina, my best advice, what I'd do myself if I was in your situation and if I was diagnosed with PF, is as follows.

I'd completely quit the aerobics, high or low impact, for now. Healing your feet has to be a much higher priority than exercise, or they may never heal. Rest is very important with PF. The question is not whether or not you can continue low impact aerobics, the question is whether you should even be on your feet long enough to go grocery shopping.

I hope the above isn't too blunt or upsetting. When I first got PF last September, it was from a new and poorly thought out exercise program that I had begun in order to lose weight, and until I was diagnosed I continued the particular exercise that caused my PF to begin with. If I had not done that, I think I would have healed in half the time. That is why I'm sounding like such a meanie.

Carole C