Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Am I a candidate for ESWT ?

Posted by niels l on 6/12/02 at 05:30 (087237)

Hi

After 3 years of pf I am going to get ESWT next week. How will I know if I am a candidate for ESWT ?

My pain is worst in the evening. Mostly the pain is around the hell-spur place (the inside of the front of the heel) and at the outside of the front of the heel, but also other places such as up the side of the heels. the achilles and the whole outher side under my foot.

I have a high arch and -i think- tight achilles. I have Hallux limitus in the big toe joint.

I am from Denmark, where ESWT is not available, so i am going to be treated by a doctor in Germany. Will I be able to drive my car for 3 hours right after the treatment ?

Re: Am I a candidate for ESWT ?

john h on 6/12/02 at 09:52 (087279)

Neils: I also have hallux limitus in both great toes. I had surgery to repair one (chelictomy) 3 years ago and it worked very well. I had it in conjunction with PF surgery and both procdures lasted about 30 minutes. Some doctors think there may be a correlation between PF and Hallux Limitus. With Hallux Limitus you of course cannot stretch the band of fascia from the great toe to the heel as much. Hallux Limitus may also cause you to walk a little different on your foot creating further problems. I have also had ESWT 4 times. You should have no problem driving your car. I walked out of ESWT and drove 120 miles to an airport and flew home.

BrianG on 6/12/02 at 18:41 (087358)

Hi Niels,

I had the Dornier Epos, with ankle block's. I drove home from the treatment, over 6 hours. I was fortunate to have an automatic trans, with cruise control. I'm not sure I could have done it without these two options. Good luck

BrianG

Lara T on 6/12/02 at 22:51 (087408)

My podiatrist once made the comment that if PF continued for a year, it's probably TTS. I don't know if other podiatrists agree, but even if it's not obsolutely true, it might be worth checking out. I have TTS and am trying to figure out if ESWT would be appropriate - I haven't figured it out yet, but at the moment I'm getting the sense it wouldn't help. I hate to give you something else to check out - or suggest something you have already checked out. I know how frustrating it is to keep getting advice for things that you've already checked out and found a blind alley - or lead to another blind alley.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/13/02 at 05:35 (087417)

IT is very important to rule out TTS and its relationship to your pf pain. In most cases with TTS , ESWT shouldn't be done. DO you have pain in the morning when you first get up . Describe some of your symtoms and maybe I can help you or refer you to an experienced ESWT doctor

niels l on 6/13/02 at 06:57 (087424)

Hi dr Z

No, I dont have any particular morning pain, it is normally worst in the evening. What does that indicate ?

Please explain what TTS is and how it is diagnosed.

I am aware that my hallux limtus may contribute to my pf. Does that mean that ESWT is not worth a try, because my hallux limitus will continue to trigger the pf ? My hallux limitus does not it self feel painfull, only a little annoying.

Do you know of any good doctors in Denmark or (northern) Germany ? I have seen many danish docters, who are all ignorant and they have never even heard of ESWT !

Lara T on 6/13/02 at 11:40 (087458)

Thank you very much. I know you were responding primarily to the original poster, but I've been trying to puzzle out what I should and shouldn't try, so glad to have your (and Dr. Ed and the other pods) perspective. You've answered my primary question of this week and will now will quit pursuing whether ESWT is appropriate for me.

J. King on 6/13/02 at 17:01 (087487)

So would ESWT make TTS worse. I was diagnosed with TTS and PF but I wonder about the TTS diagnosis.

john h on 6/12/02 at 09:52 (087279)

Neils: I also have hallux limitus in both great toes. I had surgery to repair one (chelictomy) 3 years ago and it worked very well. I had it in conjunction with PF surgery and both procdures lasted about 30 minutes. Some doctors think there may be a correlation between PF and Hallux Limitus. With Hallux Limitus you of course cannot stretch the band of fascia from the great toe to the heel as much. Hallux Limitus may also cause you to walk a little different on your foot creating further problems. I have also had ESWT 4 times. You should have no problem driving your car. I walked out of ESWT and drove 120 miles to an airport and flew home.

BrianG on 6/12/02 at 18:41 (087358)

Hi Niels,

I had the Dornier Epos, with ankle block's. I drove home from the treatment, over 6 hours. I was fortunate to have an automatic trans, with cruise control. I'm not sure I could have done it without these two options. Good luck

BrianG

Lara T on 6/12/02 at 22:51 (087408)

My podiatrist once made the comment that if PF continued for a year, it's probably TTS. I don't know if other podiatrists agree, but even if it's not obsolutely true, it might be worth checking out. I have TTS and am trying to figure out if ESWT would be appropriate - I haven't figured it out yet, but at the moment I'm getting the sense it wouldn't help. I hate to give you something else to check out - or suggest something you have already checked out. I know how frustrating it is to keep getting advice for things that you've already checked out and found a blind alley - or lead to another blind alley.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/13/02 at 05:35 (087417)

IT is very important to rule out TTS and its relationship to your pf pain. In most cases with TTS , ESWT shouldn't be done. DO you have pain in the morning when you first get up . Describe some of your symtoms and maybe I can help you or refer you to an experienced ESWT doctor

niels l on 6/13/02 at 06:57 (087424)

Hi dr Z

No, I dont have any particular morning pain, it is normally worst in the evening. What does that indicate ?

Please explain what TTS is and how it is diagnosed.

I am aware that my hallux limtus may contribute to my pf. Does that mean that ESWT is not worth a try, because my hallux limitus will continue to trigger the pf ? My hallux limitus does not it self feel painfull, only a little annoying.

Do you know of any good doctors in Denmark or (northern) Germany ? I have seen many danish docters, who are all ignorant and they have never even heard of ESWT !

Lara T on 6/13/02 at 11:40 (087458)

Thank you very much. I know you were responding primarily to the original poster, but I've been trying to puzzle out what I should and shouldn't try, so glad to have your (and Dr. Ed and the other pods) perspective. You've answered my primary question of this week and will now will quit pursuing whether ESWT is appropriate for me.

J. King on 6/13/02 at 17:01 (087487)

So would ESWT make TTS worse. I was diagnosed with TTS and PF but I wonder about the TTS diagnosis.