Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What type of medications are effective for TTS?

Posted by Henry C on 6/12/02 at 09:32 (087275)

Hello Everybody,

I would like to know what type of medications everybody out there is taking for TTS pain. How much of the medication are you taking on a daily basis and is it effective? Any other comments are always welcome!

Henry

Re: What type of medications are effective for TTS?

Sharon W on 6/12/02 at 13:53 (087328)

Henry,

For me Neurontin has been remarkably effective. I am up to 300 mg, 3 times per day. It doesn't take away ALL the pain, but it helps, and most importantly IT LETS ME SLEEP AT NIGHT. THAT'S a biggie, because I was constantly sleep-deprived before I started on Neurontin. I had already been taking Ambien at bedtime to GET to sleep, but I kept waking up various times during the night due to what I call the 'night burns'. Now, if my feet burn at night, at least it doesn't wake me up!!

I also have Ultram, for 'breakthrough' pain.

-- Sharon

Sherry on 6/13/02 at 23:15 (087536)

Hi, I take elevil 100mg. at night for pain and 4800 neurontin for related neuropathy. I am doing very well on these and work 40 hrs a week, most on my feet. I would like to know what else you are doing for your feet. Sherry

Cheri A on 6/14/02 at 19:21 (087642)

I take Neurontin, 300 mg. at night. It helps a LOT with the burning. It seems to take a while to start working when you first start taking it, but it is worth it. I tried to up the dose and take it during the day, but it makes me a little un-coordinated. I take Ultram 1 or 2 times a day. It helps also, but I am never pain-free. I do have 'good' days, with minimal pain, but not often. I also take an anti-depressant.
What do you take?

Marty on 6/14/02 at 22:03 (087650)

I take Neurontin 600 mg a day. I tried to go down to 300 mg, but the buring come back with a vengeance. But the thing that seems to help the most to me is 1000mg of Ibuprofen every 4 hours. Not sure if it's the pain or the anti swelling it's helping the most. Yes I know my kidney has got look like Swiss cheese by now. What can I do??? I would like to take a better pain killer and anti inflammation product. I know that this is not a fix to the problem but I'm not really sure I want the release yet.

Marty

KathyB on 6/17/02 at 13:21 (087808)

I have just been to the doctor, I had been off Neurotin 1200 mg a day for about a week and the pain is back worse than before. He put me on 1800 mg of Neurotin a day, and am ramping me on Topmax. I am also going on a steriod for 12 days to help get the pain under control. I will see him back in a month to see how the pain is going. I have crossed fingers that it will work, I can't walk more than 100 feet without major pain anymore.

Sharon W on 6/12/02 at 13:53 (087328)

Henry,

For me Neurontin has been remarkably effective. I am up to 300 mg, 3 times per day. It doesn't take away ALL the pain, but it helps, and most importantly IT LETS ME SLEEP AT NIGHT. THAT'S a biggie, because I was constantly sleep-deprived before I started on Neurontin. I had already been taking Ambien at bedtime to GET to sleep, but I kept waking up various times during the night due to what I call the 'night burns'. Now, if my feet burn at night, at least it doesn't wake me up!!

I also have Ultram, for 'breakthrough' pain.

-- Sharon

Sherry on 6/13/02 at 23:15 (087536)

Hi, I take elevil 100mg. at night for pain and 4800 neurontin for related neuropathy. I am doing very well on these and work 40 hrs a week, most on my feet. I would like to know what else you are doing for your feet. Sherry

Cheri A on 6/14/02 at 19:21 (087642)

I take Neurontin, 300 mg. at night. It helps a LOT with the burning. It seems to take a while to start working when you first start taking it, but it is worth it. I tried to up the dose and take it during the day, but it makes me a little un-coordinated. I take Ultram 1 or 2 times a day. It helps also, but I am never pain-free. I do have 'good' days, with minimal pain, but not often. I also take an anti-depressant.
What do you take?

Marty on 6/14/02 at 22:03 (087650)

I take Neurontin 600 mg a day. I tried to go down to 300 mg, but the buring come back with a vengeance. But the thing that seems to help the most to me is 1000mg of Ibuprofen every 4 hours. Not sure if it's the pain or the anti swelling it's helping the most. Yes I know my kidney has got look like Swiss cheese by now. What can I do??? I would like to take a better pain killer and anti inflammation product. I know that this is not a fix to the problem but I'm not really sure I want the release yet.

Marty

KathyB on 6/17/02 at 13:21 (087808)

I have just been to the doctor, I had been off Neurotin 1200 mg a day for about a week and the pain is back worse than before. He put me on 1800 mg of Neurotin a day, and am ramping me on Topmax. I am also going on a steriod for 12 days to help get the pain under control. I will see him back in a month to see how the pain is going. I have crossed fingers that it will work, I can't walk more than 100 feet without major pain anymore.