Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anyone received a settlement for Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome?

Posted by Mike S on 6/12/02 at 11:45 (087310)

Could anyone tell me if they have settled a worker's compensation claim for tarsal tunnel? Surgery failed, and there is no way I can go back to doing what I used to do. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Please email me if you have answers at (email removed)

Thanks

Re: Has anyone received a settlement for Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome?

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/12/02 at 21:43 (087384)

I have seen a number of patients who settled workers compensation claims for work related tarsal tunnel syndrome.
Ed

Mike S on 6/13/02 at 10:37 (087449)

Hello Ed, could you give me a ball park figure of how much their settlement was, and if they received training for a new job? Thanks

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/13/02 at 22:06 (087528)

Mike:

Unfortunately I am not privy to patients settlements. The retraining issue rests in part with the employer and the workers comp system in a particular state.

The medical side of the settlement is related to the degree of impairment. The degree of impairment is determined by an independent medical examiner (I perform a number of such exams). The commonly used reference is the 'Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment' published by the AMA.

Once I have provided an impairment rating to a patient or attorney, the attorney uses that to negotiate a settlement.
Ed

Cheri A on 6/14/02 at 19:32 (087644)

I settled with wc in order to seek other treatments that they were unwilling to cover. I did not get any training because during the diagnosing stage of my tts, I got another position with my company that requires me to sit down all day. I don't know if I would have gotten training or not.
My surgery left me a tiny bit better, but I do have some permament disability and chronic pain. I am not sure that I did the right thing by settling with wc, but I am very glad I tried other treatments because I would never have known otherwise. I always tell people that my opinion is to NOT settle with wc, and to push them hard to try other treatments. If you do settle, ask to keep the medical open in case you have trouble later on.
I hope your claim works out for the best. Hang in there!

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/17/02 at 17:39 (087839)

Keep in mind that if you do settle, you usually have the option to re-open the claim at a later date, although there is a hassle factor with that.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/12/02 at 21:43 (087384)

I have seen a number of patients who settled workers compensation claims for work related tarsal tunnel syndrome.
Ed

Mike S on 6/13/02 at 10:37 (087449)

Hello Ed, could you give me a ball park figure of how much their settlement was, and if they received training for a new job? Thanks

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/13/02 at 22:06 (087528)

Mike:

Unfortunately I am not privy to patients settlements. The retraining issue rests in part with the employer and the workers comp system in a particular state.

The medical side of the settlement is related to the degree of impairment. The degree of impairment is determined by an independent medical examiner (I perform a number of such exams). The commonly used reference is the 'Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment' published by the AMA.

Once I have provided an impairment rating to a patient or attorney, the attorney uses that to negotiate a settlement.
Ed

Cheri A on 6/14/02 at 19:32 (087644)

I settled with wc in order to seek other treatments that they were unwilling to cover. I did not get any training because during the diagnosing stage of my tts, I got another position with my company that requires me to sit down all day. I don't know if I would have gotten training or not.
My surgery left me a tiny bit better, but I do have some permament disability and chronic pain. I am not sure that I did the right thing by settling with wc, but I am very glad I tried other treatments because I would never have known otherwise. I always tell people that my opinion is to NOT settle with wc, and to push them hard to try other treatments. If you do settle, ask to keep the medical open in case you have trouble later on.
I hope your claim works out for the best. Hang in there!

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/17/02 at 17:39 (087839)

Keep in mind that if you do settle, you usually have the option to re-open the claim at a later date, although there is a hassle factor with that.
Ed