Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

1 in a Million: Large calf muscle linked to pain side of foot?

Posted by T Kim on 6/12/02 at 13:09 (087317)

HAS ANYONE SEEN OR HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE????

I just came back from the pod who seems to think this is a 1 in a million type problem that I have. I thought some one on this message board could help.

I have had this problem since high school and recently (I'm 30) it's occuring more often as I engage in more sports. Apparently I have a larger than normal muscle near on the inner side of my mid-foot (near my arches). I also have very large calf muscles for a girl my size which the pod mentioned is consistent with the size of the foot muscle (I didn't catch the name of it).

The pain only occurs during sporting activities and may linger for 12 hours or so and will go away. There are no pains to the touch on my feet other than after sporting events. The pod mentioned that there also may be a nerve trapped causing pain. The pain is a hot/bruise like feeling where the 'foot muscle' and arch are...and in BOTH feet.

One of the suggestions from the pod was to do a nerve study (with electrical impulses) to check for nerve damage...but he didn't seem to think it was necessary just a safety precaution. He also has never seen this case before, and recalls studying a case during med school. So again, I was hoping someone out there has seen this problem and have found a solution that I can draw upon.

I've lived with it for 15 years and the pod doesn't seem to think it will get worse as I age, but I would sure like to strengthen my game (soccer) and it is difficult with the foot pain that begins in the first 10 minutes of the game.
-One in a Million

Re: 1 in a Million: Large calf muscle linked to pain side of foot?

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/12/02 at 21:42 (087382)

You may be describing an enlarged abductor hallucis muscle or even an accessory (extra) abductor hallucis muscle. I have seen tarsal tunnel syndrome and heel pain caused by an accessory abductor hallucis.
Ed

Re: 1 in a Million: Large calf muscle linked to pain side of foot?

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/12/02 at 21:42 (087382)

You may be describing an enlarged abductor hallucis muscle or even an accessory (extra) abductor hallucis muscle. I have seen tarsal tunnel syndrome and heel pain caused by an accessory abductor hallucis.
Ed