Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr Ed -- Distal PF

Posted by Mar on 6/12/02 at 13:32 (087323)

Ed -- I promised to keep you posted. I asked Dr. Wishnie about the distal PF (remember metatarsalgia and sesamoiditis) and he said it isn;t indicated right now and that the ESWT I had on the heels may also help relieve some of the metatarsalgia. Mar

Re: Dr Ed -- Distal PF

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/12/02 at 21:27 (087372)

Mar:

What did he feel is causing the pain around the big toe joint?
Ed

Mar on 6/13/02 at 09:00 (087438)

Ed --

Both he and my other pod feel that the pain around the big toe joint is from the sesamoiditis (bipartite sesamoid) and that the fascia may be pulling on it making it worse. Dr. W feels that the fascia will become more elastic after the ESWT on the heels and then not pull as much on the big toe area. As for the rest of the pain in the ball of the foot, I think both of them are not sure why this lingers. Dr. W feels I have thin fat pads, my other pod does not.

Mar

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/13/02 at 11:55 (087464)

Would he consider applying the shock waves to the fascia just behind the sesamoids?
Ed

Mar on 6/13/02 at 13:22 (087480)

He said he wouldn't consider it now and that it is very tricky because of the nerves (I think) that run down the ankles and into the foot??? Mar

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/12/02 at 21:27 (087372)

Mar:

What did he feel is causing the pain around the big toe joint?
Ed

Mar on 6/13/02 at 09:00 (087438)

Ed --

Both he and my other pod feel that the pain around the big toe joint is from the sesamoiditis (bipartite sesamoid) and that the fascia may be pulling on it making it worse. Dr. W feels that the fascia will become more elastic after the ESWT on the heels and then not pull as much on the big toe area. As for the rest of the pain in the ball of the foot, I think both of them are not sure why this lingers. Dr. W feels I have thin fat pads, my other pod does not.

Mar

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/13/02 at 11:55 (087464)

Would he consider applying the shock waves to the fascia just behind the sesamoids?
Ed

Mar on 6/13/02 at 13:22 (087480)

He said he wouldn't consider it now and that it is very tricky because of the nerves (I think) that run down the ankles and into the foot??? Mar