Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

re:deep massage and small fibromas?crunchy feeling bumps

Posted by lisa k on 6/12/02 at 18:25 (087356)

I have 4 questions: in relation to small 'crunchy feeling' bumps in Arch
1)How common are small fibromas in the PF patient?
2)Would they have shown up on a MRI I already had done?(my xrays-normal) 3)What is the best treatment? can deep hard PT massage help or make worse?
4)Can it just be scar tissue from a recent PF tear and detachment?
Thank you! Doctors for any info & what to AVOID in making this worse.

Re: re:deep massage and small fibromas?crunchy feeling bumps

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/12/02 at 18:58 (087360)

Hi Lisa:

They are common in the foot. Sometimes there is a cross corelation with hypo and or hyperthyroidism. The yare benign. The yare also called Dupytrens contracture. Reently fibromas have injected with 4% Alcohol sclerosing them. They should easily be seen on MRI. They can be measured and give exact depth location.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/12/02 at 21:33 (087374)

My response disappeared somewhere in cyberspace so I will re-post.
Sounds like plantar fibromatosis. Deep tissue massage may help for small lesions. I often use a combination of triamcinolone acetonide plus Wydase (hyaluronidase) injected into the lesions to shrink them.
Ed

Mar on 6/13/02 at 09:06 (087439)

Hmmm... I have a soft (not crunchy)lump in my left arch which sometimes is very sore and other times not (related to PF???) Could it be a fibroma or a neuroma? Mar

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/13/02 at 11:53 (087463)

More likely a 'fibroma.'
Ed

Re: Re:Dr. Ed

D.Thomas on 6/13/02 at 13:07 (087476)

Dr. Ed,

Does having plantar fibromatosis affect having fascia surgrey? Is it a bad thing to have a fascia release when you have plantar fibromatosis?

And another question:

When you get your heel cord lengthened, do they cut it completely and re-attached it somehow? How exactly do you lengthen a heel cord?

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/13/02 at 21:59 (087525)

The presence of plantar fibromatosis has no effect on PF surgery.

Several different procedures exist for lengthening of the achilles. The achilles is partially cut in a pattern that allows the fibers to slide and advance. Easier to diagram than explain-- we don't have that capability here.
Ed

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/12/02 at 18:58 (087360)

Hi Lisa:

They are common in the foot. Sometimes there is a cross corelation with hypo and or hyperthyroidism. The yare benign. The yare also called Dupytrens contracture. Reently fibromas have injected with 4% Alcohol sclerosing them. They should easily be seen on MRI. They can be measured and give exact depth location.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/12/02 at 21:33 (087374)

My response disappeared somewhere in cyberspace so I will re-post.
Sounds like plantar fibromatosis. Deep tissue massage may help for small lesions. I often use a combination of triamcinolone acetonide plus Wydase (hyaluronidase) injected into the lesions to shrink them.
Ed

Mar on 6/13/02 at 09:06 (087439)

Hmmm... I have a soft (not crunchy)lump in my left arch which sometimes is very sore and other times not (related to PF???) Could it be a fibroma or a neuroma? Mar

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/13/02 at 11:53 (087463)

More likely a 'fibroma.'
Ed

D.Thomas on 6/13/02 at 13:07 (087476)

Dr. Ed,

Does having plantar fibromatosis affect having fascia surgrey? Is it a bad thing to have a fascia release when you have plantar fibromatosis?

And another question:

When you get your heel cord lengthened, do they cut it completely and re-attached it somehow? How exactly do you lengthen a heel cord?

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/13/02 at 21:59 (087525)

The presence of plantar fibromatosis has no effect on PF surgery.

Several different procedures exist for lengthening of the achilles. The achilles is partially cut in a pattern that allows the fibers to slide and advance. Easier to diagram than explain-- we don't have that capability here.
Ed