Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

haglund deformity

Posted by marla on 6/13/02 at 07:18 (087426)

Good Morning,
I had surgery to remove a haglund deformity on my right foot, last October. I still can bearly walk with out terrible pain. The doctor is talking about more surgery! I have been on steriods,ice packsetc. I can not wear shoes, thank god it is summer. My question is, was it nessacary to cut my perfectly good achilles tendon and rebolt it with an anchor to remove the deformity, was there any other way to do the surgery? Also, the top of my foot is numb, what happened? Will this EVER get any better? I am unable to walk my dogs, golf, bike kick box etc.....HELP!!!!
marla

Re: haglund deformity

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/13/02 at 10:30 (087448)

It sounds like you have a calcified achilles tendonitis with a haglunds deformity. Verfy dificult to tell what is going on. Why the second surgery? Is the achilles tendon torn. This is a surgical procedure that can take a very long time to start to heal. Sometime 10-12 weeks, sometime up to one year for complete pain resoluton If I had more information I could give you additional information and advice. Tell us more about the future plans for your foot .

marla on 6/14/02 at 10:27 (087583)

Thank you for your response. The first surgery I had was to remove the haglund deformity. My achillies tendon WAS a healthy tendon, it was not torn at the time. The surgeon cut my tendon to get to the bump. It has been 8 months since the surgery and the pain and swelling and the numbness both on top of my foot and on the heal has not gone away. In fact the pain is getting worse and now is traveling up my calf. They put in a soft tissue anchor to re attach the tendon. Not sure why about the second surgery, that is why I am going for second opinion. If I could turn back time I would have lived with the discomfort I had before this, this is pan, the other was discomfort. Was or is there a different route I could have taken, or can take know to get this fixed? Does this type of surgery ALWAYS require the cutting of a healthy tendon?
Thank you again for taking the time,
marla

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/14/02 at 18:29 (087635)

They need to see if you have a nerve that is traped into the incision. You are in alot of pain for this type of surgery. Still unsure why the achilles tendon was cut . I am not making any judgement because I wasn't there but I am not aware of any haglund surgery that involves the cutting of the achilles tendon

marla on 6/17/02 at 09:28 (087792)

I was told that is the way the surgery was to be performed,the only way. My MRI showed nothing. The dr. is unsure why I am in such pain.or Why the top of my foot feels like it is asleep. Drives me batty! Are there any other xrays of such they my show more of what the problem mybe? I do really apreciate this web site and the time you have taken with me.
Thanks,
Marla

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/13/02 at 10:30 (087448)

It sounds like you have a calcified achilles tendonitis with a haglunds deformity. Verfy dificult to tell what is going on. Why the second surgery? Is the achilles tendon torn. This is a surgical procedure that can take a very long time to start to heal. Sometime 10-12 weeks, sometime up to one year for complete pain resoluton If I had more information I could give you additional information and advice. Tell us more about the future plans for your foot .

marla on 6/14/02 at 10:27 (087583)

Thank you for your response. The first surgery I had was to remove the haglund deformity. My achillies tendon WAS a healthy tendon, it was not torn at the time. The surgeon cut my tendon to get to the bump. It has been 8 months since the surgery and the pain and swelling and the numbness both on top of my foot and on the heal has not gone away. In fact the pain is getting worse and now is traveling up my calf. They put in a soft tissue anchor to re attach the tendon. Not sure why about the second surgery, that is why I am going for second opinion. If I could turn back time I would have lived with the discomfort I had before this, this is pan, the other was discomfort. Was or is there a different route I could have taken, or can take know to get this fixed? Does this type of surgery ALWAYS require the cutting of a healthy tendon?
Thank you again for taking the time,
marla

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/14/02 at 18:29 (087635)

They need to see if you have a nerve that is traped into the incision. You are in alot of pain for this type of surgery. Still unsure why the achilles tendon was cut . I am not making any judgement because I wasn't there but I am not aware of any haglund surgery that involves the cutting of the achilles tendon

marla on 6/17/02 at 09:28 (087792)

I was told that is the way the surgery was to be performed,the only way. My MRI showed nothing. The dr. is unsure why I am in such pain.or Why the top of my foot feels like it is asleep. Drives me batty! Are there any other xrays of such they my show more of what the problem mybe? I do really apreciate this web site and the time you have taken with me.
Thanks,
Marla