Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Just wanting a virtual shoulder to cry on

Posted by Lisa D. on 6/13/02 at 13:26 (087482)

Hi everyone. This is the first time I've posted, but I've been a faithful reader of this blessed site for a while. I've had PF for at least 2 years, 2 pods, 2 rounds of pt, 2 different night splints, injections, taping, can't take NSAIDs because of recurring ulcers, etc., etc., you've all been through the rest too. Anyway, it's just been a bad week. I'm in the process of waiting to hear back from my insurance co. (BCBS of Michigan). I know that they don't cover the ESWT cpt code, but my pod will appeal, and we'll go from there. He charges about $3000 for both feet. He's in Louisville, KY, which is where I live. I was so happy to find out that he performs ESWT. I was sure that no one here in the US did it. So since I've found out that there's even a remote possibility that I can get relief w/o surgery, I've been on cloud 9. But like I said, I've just had a bad week with pain and wanted to vent a little. Everyone on this site has been so very encouraging, even if they don't know it. I'm sure there are a ton of people like me out there who read everyone's postings without replying and telling the person how much they have helped. So to all you regular 'posters' out there, THANK YOU!!!

Re: Just wanting a virtual shoulder to cry on

MartyF on 6/13/02 at 17:22 (087488)

You sound like me. I've had PF for 3 years and gone through all the treatments. Nothing seems to work. So I bit the bullet -I have surgery scheduled for next Tuesday. Then today, my pod calls to tell me about this shocki-wave thing. Now I don't know what to do. I had my mind made up for surgery. Plus I doubt my insurance would cover this and this would be a new thing for my pod. I can't afford to cover the cost myself - my outpatient surgery would be done for just $15 co-pay. Any suggestions?

Re: Let me offer you mine Lisa

Tammie on 6/13/02 at 17:31 (087490)

I am glad to hear that you decided to finally post! You are right about one thing there are some wonderful people here who will give you all the support you might want or need! On the other good thing the advice is pretty good also!!!!!!!Not to mention the Drs help and the many who give of there time!Include Scott for giving this site to all of us!!!

I want to welcome you and also say we will be here to loan a shoulder , offer help and will be glad to help in any way you need! Stick around and tell us what questions you have and about your chace of ESWT . The Dr.s here are very much for this procedure and maybe they could offer some help! In any way I just wanted to say welcome and sure we even are aloud to blow off stress or whatever else we need as we are a safe place and those here have been thru this or are going thru and some have been around for some time, they know the ways of what people go thru during this hard time.

Welcome again and thanks for posting it is wonderful I feel badly that you never felt comfortable enough to let us welcome you and offer you that shoulder of hand! Please take care and hang in one day at a time! take care and post anytime you want!

Pauline on 6/13/02 at 20:16 (087514)

Marty,
I can imagine how you feel when your psyched for surgery,and now another treatment is offered. Besides that it's going to cost you out of pocket and probably no insurance coverage.

After following this board for several years and reading a lot of the surgical postings my suggestion would be avoid surgery at all cost and try the ESWT first. Many people report complications after their P.F. surgery and neither your surgeon nor the surgery guarantees you will end up pain free. Many posters having surgery reported negative results aferwards.

I suggest you go back and read many of the postings on the surgical site for several months back or years back to get a feel of the outcomes for the people that have had some type of release done.

Once cut the Plantar Fascia cannot be returned to it's original state and the way I look at it is if you can avoid surgery do so. ESWT offers a pretty safe treatment that might help your problem leaving your foot intact with it's natural support from the Plantar Fascia.

The cost of ESWT in Canada is much less than in the U.S. so that may be an option to consider.

You asked for opinions and this is mine. You can always have surgery anytime. You name the day and someone will do it, but you can never put back what was cut. ESWT is a new conservative treatment which provides many good results for people. I'd try it first.

If you go ahead with your planned surgery I wish you luck and hope which ever decision you choose works in your best interest.

BrianG on 6/13/02 at 22:03 (087526)

Hi Lisa,

One thing you didn't mention - work! Do you work, have a stand up job? Working on hard surfaces like tile, concrete and asphalt are all bad for you. It'll be tough to heal if you fit this catagory. Time to look for a sit down type job, before it's too late. It happened to me, I'm a perfect example. I worked too many years, on hard surfaces, and now cannot work, even if I wanted to.

Good luck
BrianG

Lisa D. on 6/14/02 at 09:00 (087570)

Marty, thanks for replying to my message. It's a big decision to finally schedule your surgery. But just from my reading everyone's messages on this board, especially in the Surgery section, I would wait if I were you, and look into the ESWT. If your pod is not proficient at it, then I would look for another pod who has some experience with the procedure. Surgery is just so final. You can't take it back if something goes wrong. For me, the down time is a big drawback. Not to mention the healing time of a 2 inch incision through some tender flesh! I have a feeling my insurance company won't pay for it either, but my husband said we could go to Canada and have the procedure done if my pod won't lower his cost for me. But I'm going to ask him first to adjust his price, then if he doesn't, it looks like I'm going North. Surgery really should be a last, last resort. If you have any doubts at all, I would at the very least, postpone the surgery until you've looked into the ESWT more. Try to make an informed decision. Well, I've rambled long enough. Thanks.

Lisa D. on 6/14/02 at 09:02 (087571)

My job involves sitting and standing. I'm a legal secretary in a very busy firm. They are very good to me though. Some mornings I come in 20-30 min late because it hurt too bad to try and stand in the shower, and they are very understanding. So I'm very fortunate to have such a great support group, here at work and at home. Do you still have your PF?

Lisa D. on 6/14/02 at 09:16 (087576)

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I can usually handle alot on my own. And my husband is always there for me. Sometimes, though, you just need to talk to someone who understands what you're going through. It's so hard to describe this type of pain to friends. Sometimes I feel as if they secretly think I'm exagerating. So, hopefully, the ESWT will make me all better, then I can become superwoman again! Anyway, it was nice to hear from you. Thanks!

BrianG on 6/14/02 at 17:19 (087623)

Oh yes, still have PF in both heels, for about 8 years. Do you tape your feet? It might be a good thing to try for a few days a week. I'd also try to sit whenever possible. The more time you can get off your feet, the better chance you'll have of healing. Ice at night is also good.

BrianG

margie w on 6/16/02 at 01:14 (087718)

Marty,
I have has pf on and off for the last 10 years, switching feet. In Sept. '98, after suffering with my left foot for over a year I was about to have surgery and then found this site. After reading some good results but others that were bad, I backed out and in November was lucky enough to get in the Atlanta Ossotron study. It took 2 treatments, one in November and one in February but it was 100% successful. By July of '99 I started walking 4 miles/day (never before a regular exerciser) and easily dropped 25 pounds by Christmas! Everything was fine until Feb. 2002 when I did something wrong! I think I was walking too fast on our treadmill at too sharp of an incline and my shoes were too worn. Now it's my right foot that is injured. I would have the ESWT in a heartbeat!!!!!! I'm going to fight my insurance co. (if possible) and check into going to Canada because I'm sure it's the way to go. I have tried everything and I know that the shock waves work. (My husband also recently had his tennis elbow done in the Atlanta study and was successful). The surgery is too risky because if the scar tissue doesn't heal properly, it could be worse than it is now! I hope I've given some useful advise and good luck!!!

Lisa D. on 6/17/02 at 08:28 (087786)

I have tried taping in the past. The first few times it didn't help at all, then the last time I tried it, they taped it in a different way and it gave me severe shin splints the next day. So I'm kinda turned off of taping. But ice does help alot. Sometimes I'll put my ice pack inside of my night splint and wear it while I'm watching tv. Those two things seem to make the most difference for me ... my night splint and using ice. I wear NB tennis shoes everywhere, which probably helps too. I was stretching alot, but I learned that may have been agrivating it and making it worse, so I stopped for a while, and am now doing very gentle stretches only before I get out of bed in the morning.

MartyF on 6/13/02 at 17:22 (087488)

You sound like me. I've had PF for 3 years and gone through all the treatments. Nothing seems to work. So I bit the bullet -I have surgery scheduled for next Tuesday. Then today, my pod calls to tell me about this shocki-wave thing. Now I don't know what to do. I had my mind made up for surgery. Plus I doubt my insurance would cover this and this would be a new thing for my pod. I can't afford to cover the cost myself - my outpatient surgery would be done for just $15 co-pay. Any suggestions?

Tammie on 6/13/02 at 17:31 (087490)

I am glad to hear that you decided to finally post! You are right about one thing there are some wonderful people here who will give you all the support you might want or need! On the other good thing the advice is pretty good also!!!!!!!Not to mention the Drs help and the many who give of there time!Include Scott for giving this site to all of us!!!

I want to welcome you and also say we will be here to loan a shoulder , offer help and will be glad to help in any way you need! Stick around and tell us what questions you have and about your chace of ESWT . The Dr.s here are very much for this procedure and maybe they could offer some help! In any way I just wanted to say welcome and sure we even are aloud to blow off stress or whatever else we need as we are a safe place and those here have been thru this or are going thru and some have been around for some time, they know the ways of what people go thru during this hard time.

Welcome again and thanks for posting it is wonderful I feel badly that you never felt comfortable enough to let us welcome you and offer you that shoulder of hand! Please take care and hang in one day at a time! take care and post anytime you want!

Pauline on 6/13/02 at 20:16 (087514)

Marty,
I can imagine how you feel when your psyched for surgery,and now another treatment is offered. Besides that it's going to cost you out of pocket and probably no insurance coverage.

After following this board for several years and reading a lot of the surgical postings my suggestion would be avoid surgery at all cost and try the ESWT first. Many people report complications after their P.F. surgery and neither your surgeon nor the surgery guarantees you will end up pain free. Many posters having surgery reported negative results aferwards.

I suggest you go back and read many of the postings on the surgical site for several months back or years back to get a feel of the outcomes for the people that have had some type of release done.

Once cut the Plantar Fascia cannot be returned to it's original state and the way I look at it is if you can avoid surgery do so. ESWT offers a pretty safe treatment that might help your problem leaving your foot intact with it's natural support from the Plantar Fascia.

The cost of ESWT in Canada is much less than in the U.S. so that may be an option to consider.

You asked for opinions and this is mine. You can always have surgery anytime. You name the day and someone will do it, but you can never put back what was cut. ESWT is a new conservative treatment which provides many good results for people. I'd try it first.

If you go ahead with your planned surgery I wish you luck and hope which ever decision you choose works in your best interest.

BrianG on 6/13/02 at 22:03 (087526)

Hi Lisa,

One thing you didn't mention - work! Do you work, have a stand up job? Working on hard surfaces like tile, concrete and asphalt are all bad for you. It'll be tough to heal if you fit this catagory. Time to look for a sit down type job, before it's too late. It happened to me, I'm a perfect example. I worked too many years, on hard surfaces, and now cannot work, even if I wanted to.

Good luck
BrianG

Lisa D. on 6/14/02 at 09:00 (087570)

Marty, thanks for replying to my message. It's a big decision to finally schedule your surgery. But just from my reading everyone's messages on this board, especially in the Surgery section, I would wait if I were you, and look into the ESWT. If your pod is not proficient at it, then I would look for another pod who has some experience with the procedure. Surgery is just so final. You can't take it back if something goes wrong. For me, the down time is a big drawback. Not to mention the healing time of a 2 inch incision through some tender flesh! I have a feeling my insurance company won't pay for it either, but my husband said we could go to Canada and have the procedure done if my pod won't lower his cost for me. But I'm going to ask him first to adjust his price, then if he doesn't, it looks like I'm going North. Surgery really should be a last, last resort. If you have any doubts at all, I would at the very least, postpone the surgery until you've looked into the ESWT more. Try to make an informed decision. Well, I've rambled long enough. Thanks.

Lisa D. on 6/14/02 at 09:02 (087571)

My job involves sitting and standing. I'm a legal secretary in a very busy firm. They are very good to me though. Some mornings I come in 20-30 min late because it hurt too bad to try and stand in the shower, and they are very understanding. So I'm very fortunate to have such a great support group, here at work and at home. Do you still have your PF?

Lisa D. on 6/14/02 at 09:16 (087576)

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I can usually handle alot on my own. And my husband is always there for me. Sometimes, though, you just need to talk to someone who understands what you're going through. It's so hard to describe this type of pain to friends. Sometimes I feel as if they secretly think I'm exagerating. So, hopefully, the ESWT will make me all better, then I can become superwoman again! Anyway, it was nice to hear from you. Thanks!

BrianG on 6/14/02 at 17:19 (087623)

Oh yes, still have PF in both heels, for about 8 years. Do you tape your feet? It might be a good thing to try for a few days a week. I'd also try to sit whenever possible. The more time you can get off your feet, the better chance you'll have of healing. Ice at night is also good.

BrianG

margie w on 6/16/02 at 01:14 (087718)

Marty,
I have has pf on and off for the last 10 years, switching feet. In Sept. '98, after suffering with my left foot for over a year I was about to have surgery and then found this site. After reading some good results but others that were bad, I backed out and in November was lucky enough to get in the Atlanta Ossotron study. It took 2 treatments, one in November and one in February but it was 100% successful. By July of '99 I started walking 4 miles/day (never before a regular exerciser) and easily dropped 25 pounds by Christmas! Everything was fine until Feb. 2002 when I did something wrong! I think I was walking too fast on our treadmill at too sharp of an incline and my shoes were too worn. Now it's my right foot that is injured. I would have the ESWT in a heartbeat!!!!!! I'm going to fight my insurance co. (if possible) and check into going to Canada because I'm sure it's the way to go. I have tried everything and I know that the shock waves work. (My husband also recently had his tennis elbow done in the Atlanta study and was successful). The surgery is too risky because if the scar tissue doesn't heal properly, it could be worse than it is now! I hope I've given some useful advise and good luck!!!

Lisa D. on 6/17/02 at 08:28 (087786)

I have tried taping in the past. The first few times it didn't help at all, then the last time I tried it, they taped it in a different way and it gave me severe shin splints the next day. So I'm kinda turned off of taping. But ice does help alot. Sometimes I'll put my ice pack inside of my night splint and wear it while I'm watching tv. Those two things seem to make the most difference for me ... my night splint and using ice. I wear NB tennis shoes everywhere, which probably helps too. I was stretching alot, but I learned that may have been agrivating it and making it worse, so I stopped for a while, and am now doing very gentle stretches only before I get out of bed in the morning.