Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

accessory bones

Posted by terri on 6/13/02 at 18:49 (087497)

What are accessory bones??

Re: accessory bones

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/13/02 at 21:55 (087523)

Additional bones that are not normally part of the anatomy but which occur in consistent locations at a low frewuency.
Ed

Re: accessory bones-- "low frequency"

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/13/02 at 21:56 (087524)

above

terri on 6/16/02 at 14:00 (087739)

Do they or can they cause problems? I strained a muscle/severely aggravated my PF a week ago. The doctor took x-rays to make sure I didn't brake anything. He pointed them about but didn't say anything about them. I have several around the toe area and one in the navicular area of the foot that was x-rayed.

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/19/02 at 15:48 (088024)

Accessory bones can, under certain circumstances, cause problems. One area that is often problematic is the accessory bone located next to the navicular. The tibialis posterior tendon, the tendon that pulls up on the arch does so by attaching to the navicular. There are instances when that tendon attaches to the accessory bone (in part) instead of the larger stronger navicular. That would weaken the arch and make PF more probable.
Ed

Re: accessory bones

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/13/02 at 21:55 (087523)

Additional bones that are not normally part of the anatomy but which occur in consistent locations at a low frewuency.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/13/02 at 21:56 (087524)

above

terri on 6/16/02 at 14:00 (087739)

Do they or can they cause problems? I strained a muscle/severely aggravated my PF a week ago. The doctor took x-rays to make sure I didn't brake anything. He pointed them about but didn't say anything about them. I have several around the toe area and one in the navicular area of the foot that was x-rayed.

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/19/02 at 15:48 (088024)

Accessory bones can, under certain circumstances, cause problems. One area that is often problematic is the accessory bone located next to the navicular. The tibialis posterior tendon, the tendon that pulls up on the arch does so by attaching to the navicular. There are instances when that tendon attaches to the accessory bone (in part) instead of the larger stronger navicular. That would weaken the arch and make PF more probable.
Ed