Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

persistent plantar fibromatosis?

Posted by Karen A. on 6/13/02 at 23:42 (087538)

I'm not sure whether I have plantar fasciaitis or plantar fibromatosis or both.

I've been to a podiatrist, who took x-rays and had orthotics made. The orthotics were uncomfortable from the very start, but my complaints were simply answered with, 'you'll get used to them'. I did not... the orthotics are particularly uncomfortable through the arch area (I have no arch at all, and the arch on the orthotics feels overly pronounced). I took Celebrex, which didn't make any difference.

I then went to an orthopedic surgeon, who told me I had plantar fibromatosis, although he told the physical therapist it was plantar fasciaitis. When I asked him why, he said it made no difference to physical therapy treatment. Physical therapy didn't make much difference, and ultrasonic therapy cause a great deal of very sharp pain in my heel... so much so, they halted it immediately.

I am growning increasingly frustrated as I have been treating this problem for about a year and half and basically have seen no improvement, while it has continued to drain financial resources (insurance doesn't pay for everything).

I have tenderness in my heels... and only since the ultrasonic therapy, I do sometimes have sharp heel pain... though this only happens if I have been on my feet a great deal, and at the end of the day. It is occasional. There is tightness through the middle of the foot... feeling tight between the ball and heel. When I am seated and get up, I often have to 'walk out the stiffness' before I can walk normally. I'm an active person and this is extremely frustrating.

I've read all I can... and it seems most times this condition and stop or recur (and in fact, I had it about 7 years ago and it did stop). Most treatments do not seem effective... or if they are, the condition often recurs.

Any suggestions for courses of action would be most appreciated.

Re: persistent plantar fibromatosis?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/14/02 at 06:46 (087548)

Hi Karen:

Why don't you consider ESWT? It is non-invassive and non-surgical.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Karen A on 6/14/02 at 11:38 (087593)

What is ESWT?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/14/02 at 15:26 (087609)

Hi Karen:

ESWT is Extracorporeal shock wave therapy. It is non-invassive nad uses a sonic wave to stimulate a healing cycle. If you go to our website (Drfoot.tv) go to the techinology section for a complete understanding of the technology.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: persistent plantar fibromatosis? -- karen

nancy s. on 6/14/02 at 15:57 (087611)

hi karen,

eswt is extracorporeal shock wave therapy -- a good alternative to surgery for many people for whom conservative measures haven't worked. you can read plenty about it on this website by clicking on its box at the top of the page.

nancy

Karen A on 6/14/02 at 17:39 (087626)

Actually, I had ESWT done, and it caused sharp, extreme pain (like walking on knives), and the physical therapist halted it immediately. However, I thank you for your suggestion.

nancy s. on 6/14/02 at 22:42 (087652)

karen, i don't think you had eswt done. it sounds like ultrasound or iontophoresis, which are long-used physical therapy treatments.

eswt is administered by a trained podiatrist or other doctor, using relatively new technology via a powerful machine. it was approved by the fda about a year and a half ago. there are eswt locations sprouting up around the country, and it's also available in canada.

please read up on it in the eswt section of this website and also in scott's heel pain book, both of which you can click on at the top or bottom of this page. dr c is right that you should consider it. it's very different from the relatively simple techniques used by physical therapists. at least one doctor who posts on this site uses eswt. when you've read a bit about it, you can ask more specific questions on the doctors' board.

nancy

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/15/02 at 05:47 (087659)

Hi Karen:

It does not sound like ESWT was performed. If therapeutic ultrasound is left in one spot too long it will cause a sharp stinging sensation. What country do you live in? In the US ESWT is performed by Doctors not physical therapists.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Karen A on 6/15/02 at 11:36 (087677)

You're correct, I did not have ESWT done. However, the ultra sound was *not* left in one spot too long, as you suggest. It was in constant motion. The pain was not the stinging sensation you mention, but lasted many days (weeks, in fact), and felt like I stepped on the point of a knife. It happened out of the blue, not with every step, and the pain was extreme. I had never had that kind of pain before. That knife-likepain now seems to have subsided, although now and then when I've had a long day on my feet, I may still experience it.

I am in U.S., and I will look into this treatment. Although, I wonder why I don't see it mentioned all that much in the journal articles and various web resources. And I wonder, once this procedure is done, does the problem recur? It seems it does, regardless of most treatment, as they seem to treat the symptoms and not the cure. I've spent a great deal of money and time, at this point, and have experienced no relief.

I've been evaluated once again and have decided to try a silicon orthotic, in the hopes of putting my foot in proper alignment (my arch collapse completely to the floor when I walk, and has for my entire life). I will keep ESWT in mind, should the silicon orthotic not work. It sounds like a good first alternative to surgical intervention. Thank you for the suggestion.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/14/02 at 06:46 (087548)

Hi Karen:

Why don't you consider ESWT? It is non-invassive and non-surgical.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Karen A on 6/14/02 at 11:38 (087593)

What is ESWT?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/14/02 at 15:26 (087609)

Hi Karen:

ESWT is Extracorporeal shock wave therapy. It is non-invassive nad uses a sonic wave to stimulate a healing cycle. If you go to our website (Drfoot.tv) go to the techinology section for a complete understanding of the technology.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

nancy s. on 6/14/02 at 15:57 (087611)

hi karen,

eswt is extracorporeal shock wave therapy -- a good alternative to surgery for many people for whom conservative measures haven't worked. you can read plenty about it on this website by clicking on its box at the top of the page.

nancy

Karen A on 6/14/02 at 17:39 (087626)

Actually, I had ESWT done, and it caused sharp, extreme pain (like walking on knives), and the physical therapist halted it immediately. However, I thank you for your suggestion.

nancy s. on 6/14/02 at 22:42 (087652)

karen, i don't think you had eswt done. it sounds like ultrasound or iontophoresis, which are long-used physical therapy treatments.

eswt is administered by a trained podiatrist or other doctor, using relatively new technology via a powerful machine. it was approved by the fda about a year and a half ago. there are eswt locations sprouting up around the country, and it's also available in canada.

please read up on it in the eswt section of this website and also in scott's heel pain book, both of which you can click on at the top or bottom of this page. dr c is right that you should consider it. it's very different from the relatively simple techniques used by physical therapists. at least one doctor who posts on this site uses eswt. when you've read a bit about it, you can ask more specific questions on the doctors' board.

nancy

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/15/02 at 05:47 (087659)

Hi Karen:

It does not sound like ESWT was performed. If therapeutic ultrasound is left in one spot too long it will cause a sharp stinging sensation. What country do you live in? In the US ESWT is performed by Doctors not physical therapists.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Karen A on 6/15/02 at 11:36 (087677)

You're correct, I did not have ESWT done. However, the ultra sound was *not* left in one spot too long, as you suggest. It was in constant motion. The pain was not the stinging sensation you mention, but lasted many days (weeks, in fact), and felt like I stepped on the point of a knife. It happened out of the blue, not with every step, and the pain was extreme. I had never had that kind of pain before. That knife-likepain now seems to have subsided, although now and then when I've had a long day on my feet, I may still experience it.

I am in U.S., and I will look into this treatment. Although, I wonder why I don't see it mentioned all that much in the journal articles and various web resources. And I wonder, once this procedure is done, does the problem recur? It seems it does, regardless of most treatment, as they seem to treat the symptoms and not the cure. I've spent a great deal of money and time, at this point, and have experienced no relief.

I've been evaluated once again and have decided to try a silicon orthotic, in the hopes of putting my foot in proper alignment (my arch collapse completely to the floor when I walk, and has for my entire life). I will keep ESWT in mind, should the silicon orthotic not work. It sounds like a good first alternative to surgical intervention. Thank you for the suggestion.