Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortizone shots/can they make you gain weight ?

Posted by Lisa G. on 6/14/02 at 04:44 (087542)

I'm 32 years old and have had heel spurs for about 5 years now, I've been to a few different doctor's and nothing has worked, I've done everything from the wraps, physical therapy, cortizone, anti-inflamatory etc....
I don't have insurance and feel like this is all a waste of time, why can't I find someone who will just do the surgery ?
I get to where I can't even walk sometimes and other times I'm in so much pain I just cry. I'm too young for this, someone please help !!!!!

Re: Cortizone shots/can they make you gain weight ?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/14/02 at 06:44 (087547)

Hi Lisa:

Lisa it's sounds like you have tried a pretty thorough regimen, I don't understand why you can't find someone to do the surgery. In our office we have an Operating Room where Plantar Fasciectomies, Heel spur resection can be performed. Also available is ESWT which is not covered on insurance. We are located in Belleville, New Jersey. Click on my name on top and it will link you to the website. I hope this info helps. feel free to contat my office via e-mail.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Carolyn F. on 6/14/02 at 07:59 (087556)

Lisa, I'm 33 and you sound exactly like me. I have been a sufferer for 5 years too and have tried everything as well. Please do not have surgery before you check into ESWT. Where do you live? Because Dr. John and Dr. Z. are both in N.J. and can perform the ESWT. There are others in the U.S. as well. This is a great website for reasearch. Have you read the heel pain book here? The ESWT is expensive yes , but it is possible to get your life back with it. I am hopeful and having the procedure on July 5th. Please feel free to email me with anything. (email removed)

Carolyn

Re: cortizone shots for mortons neuroma

janice l. on 6/14/02 at 16:25 (087617)

I have 2 neuromas in each foot and the dr. has recommended 2 shots in each foot for a series of 6 times. Is this normal, do the shots have side effects. Is there weight gain,I have had 2 shots so far, 2 times in each foot. Does ultra sound work? Any comments will be appreciated.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/15/02 at 05:45 (087658)

Hi Janice:

THeshots will not make you gain weight. Find out if they are cortisone or dilute alochol. The series of alcohol injections will help quite a bit. Ultrasound and electrical stimulation will help alleviate the discomfort. I would also suggest a thicker soled shoe which is wider. Best of luck.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

janice l. on 6/16/02 at 08:59 (087727)

Hello, the shots I am getting are cortizone and something else, sorry I do not know but go again on Fri. and will find out. Is there any long term damage from the cirtizone shots. They seem to be helping but do not look forward to getting the shots as they hurt so much. I had a neuroma removed about 12 yrs. ago and had no complications at the time but now it hurts in the same area, can it be scar tissue or can another grow again? Thanks for your help.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/16/02 at 10:36 (087732)

Hi

Yes there are complications from two many local steriod injections. Decrease fat padding is the big one. If you lose the fat on the ball of the foot you can't get it back. Without the fat padding pad the head of the metatarsal bone will have no shock absorption. Try Alcohol scerotic injection. Very effective without the fat lost problem. In addition padding , orthosis insert to push the met head bone away from the nerve is very important

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/14/02 at 06:44 (087547)

Hi Lisa:

Lisa it's sounds like you have tried a pretty thorough regimen, I don't understand why you can't find someone to do the surgery. In our office we have an Operating Room where Plantar Fasciectomies, Heel spur resection can be performed. Also available is ESWT which is not covered on insurance. We are located in Belleville, New Jersey. Click on my name on top and it will link you to the website. I hope this info helps. feel free to contat my office via e-mail.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Carolyn F. on 6/14/02 at 07:59 (087556)

Lisa, I'm 33 and you sound exactly like me. I have been a sufferer for 5 years too and have tried everything as well. Please do not have surgery before you check into ESWT. Where do you live? Because Dr. John and Dr. Z. are both in N.J. and can perform the ESWT. There are others in the U.S. as well. This is a great website for reasearch. Have you read the heel pain book here? The ESWT is expensive yes , but it is possible to get your life back with it. I am hopeful and having the procedure on July 5th. Please feel free to email me with anything. (email removed)

Carolyn

janice l. on 6/14/02 at 16:25 (087617)

I have 2 neuromas in each foot and the dr. has recommended 2 shots in each foot for a series of 6 times. Is this normal, do the shots have side effects. Is there weight gain,I have had 2 shots so far, 2 times in each foot. Does ultra sound work? Any comments will be appreciated.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/15/02 at 05:45 (087658)

Hi Janice:

THeshots will not make you gain weight. Find out if they are cortisone or dilute alochol. The series of alcohol injections will help quite a bit. Ultrasound and electrical stimulation will help alleviate the discomfort. I would also suggest a thicker soled shoe which is wider. Best of luck.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

janice l. on 6/16/02 at 08:59 (087727)

Hello, the shots I am getting are cortizone and something else, sorry I do not know but go again on Fri. and will find out. Is there any long term damage from the cirtizone shots. They seem to be helping but do not look forward to getting the shots as they hurt so much. I had a neuroma removed about 12 yrs. ago and had no complications at the time but now it hurts in the same area, can it be scar tissue or can another grow again? Thanks for your help.

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/16/02 at 10:36 (087732)

Hi

Yes there are complications from two many local steriod injections. Decrease fat padding is the big one. If you lose the fat on the ball of the foot you can't get it back. Without the fat padding pad the head of the metatarsal bone will have no shock absorption. Try Alcohol scerotic injection. Very effective without the fat lost problem. In addition padding , orthosis insert to push the met head bone away from the nerve is very important