Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

john h - Arkansas

Posted by Dee on 6/14/02 at 08:01 (087557)

Hello john h. What part of Arkansas do you live in? Both of my brothers live there - one in Fort Smith and one in Ozark. I traveled to Fort Smith about 4 years ago and stayed on for 3 months. Too much wilderness for me so I had to move back to the bustling state of North Carolina!! I just couldn't take having to drive 45 minutes to find a Wal Mart!!! Some beautiful country out that way though. That's why my brothers both like it so much out there. They both enjoy the outdoors a great deal. We were raised way out in the country and I couldn't wait to get away from it but apparently they missed it. Funny how siblings can be so different huh?

Re: john h - Arkansas

john h on 6/14/02 at 08:56 (087566)

Dee: I am in Little Rock and a couple hundred miles from Ft. Smith and Ozark both of which are at the foot of the mountain leading up to the U.of Arkansas and Wallmarts World Headquarters. I grew up in North Carolina. Moved to Chicago suburbs at age 11. Lived in Murphy, Cherokee County. in the Great Smoky Mountains.

Rich on 6/14/02 at 09:16 (087575)

John, I remember going to Laurel Falls as a kid with a school trip. Ever been there? We hiked up and practically ran down the trail. For some kids from flat Louisiana, the Smokey mountains were something to see! We saw the Sierra Madre's last October when we went to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Gorgeous!! From the plane it took me awhile to realize those weren't hills but actually large mountains!! I live such a sheltered life!! You mentioned you are going to Destin in Sept? We went there for our Honeymoon 16 years ago! I have an uncle in Pensacola and we try to get there as often as we can. He lives in one of those cushy golf neighborhoods so you have to watch out for balls when outside! LOL

Have a great weekend, we're off to Biloxi this afternoon....cha-ching!

Rich

john h on 6/14/02 at 10:11 (087580)

Rich we have been going to Destin nearly every year (except vietnam years) for 30 years. Lots of Canadians spend the winter months there. still the prettest beaches I have ever seen and that includes Hawaii,Cancun,St Johns,etc. Several years ago we were there when a hughe hurricane was coming in. About midnight my wife insisted I call the airline and try and change our reservation for an early morning departure. I did not want to do this but fortunately I got the change made. We were on the 11th floor of a beach front condo. We barely made it to the airport and caught the last plane to depart before the airport closed. there were about 300 people in the small airport all wanting on that plane. We took off with winds already gusting to 70 knots in a torrential rain. All the cars in our condo were destroyed and if we had not got out we would have been stranded without water or food for a week or so. entire road washed out between Destin and Ft Walton. The eyes of the hurricane passed only a short distance from Destin.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/14/02 at 10:38 (087585)

Wow! That must have been Opal. I'm glad you got out of there.

I visited the Destin and Fort Walton Beach areas a lot back in 1975, when we were stationed in Meridian, MS. It was an easy drive, and the area was spectacular, and nearly empty most of the year. I've heard that it's really built up now, though, and that I wouldn't recognize it.

Carole

john h on 6/14/02 at 11:19 (087591)

While you are traveling Carole I guess you know that Kinko's Print Stores usually have several on line computers hooked up in their stores you can rent by the hour if you need an internet fix. They normally have both PC and Mac to fit your every need. Many hotels now have DSL hookups in rooms for the laptop travelers. Then again, you may need an escape from all this PF stuff.

Re: internet on vacation

Carole C in NOLA on 6/14/02 at 12:33 (087598)

I'll be taking my laptop, but I'll also be sharing a room with my brother in order to minimize expenses for both of us (it's our frugal Scottish ancestry at work, I'm sure).

If I get online at all, we'll probably be answering e-mails to relatives and looking at real estate sites and so on. I don't want to talk to him about PF.

But then, maybe I'll have more time for solitary computing than I think. If so, I'll be sure to drop in!

Carole C

Rick R on 6/14/02 at 14:13 (087602)

John,

North Carolina is rapidly becoming my home away from home. I was there all week and will be back next week. I have been working in Cary managing an acquisition. So far I haven't ventured out past the stinking strip malls except one trip to Wright beach in March.

Rick

nancy s. on 6/14/02 at 16:01 (087613)

destin seems to get about every third hurricane that has a name. nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there.

nancy

john h on 6/14/02 at 08:56 (087566)

Dee: I am in Little Rock and a couple hundred miles from Ft. Smith and Ozark both of which are at the foot of the mountain leading up to the U.of Arkansas and Wallmarts World Headquarters. I grew up in North Carolina. Moved to Chicago suburbs at age 11. Lived in Murphy, Cherokee County. in the Great Smoky Mountains.

Rich on 6/14/02 at 09:16 (087575)

John, I remember going to Laurel Falls as a kid with a school trip. Ever been there? We hiked up and practically ran down the trail. For some kids from flat Louisiana, the Smokey mountains were something to see! We saw the Sierra Madre's last October when we went to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Gorgeous!! From the plane it took me awhile to realize those weren't hills but actually large mountains!! I live such a sheltered life!! You mentioned you are going to Destin in Sept? We went there for our Honeymoon 16 years ago! I have an uncle in Pensacola and we try to get there as often as we can. He lives in one of those cushy golf neighborhoods so you have to watch out for balls when outside! LOL

Have a great weekend, we're off to Biloxi this afternoon....cha-ching!

Rich

john h on 6/14/02 at 10:11 (087580)

Rich we have been going to Destin nearly every year (except vietnam years) for 30 years. Lots of Canadians spend the winter months there. still the prettest beaches I have ever seen and that includes Hawaii,Cancun,St Johns,etc. Several years ago we were there when a hughe hurricane was coming in. About midnight my wife insisted I call the airline and try and change our reservation for an early morning departure. I did not want to do this but fortunately I got the change made. We were on the 11th floor of a beach front condo. We barely made it to the airport and caught the last plane to depart before the airport closed. there were about 300 people in the small airport all wanting on that plane. We took off with winds already gusting to 70 knots in a torrential rain. All the cars in our condo were destroyed and if we had not got out we would have been stranded without water or food for a week or so. entire road washed out between Destin and Ft Walton. The eyes of the hurricane passed only a short distance from Destin.

Carole C in NOLA on 6/14/02 at 10:38 (087585)

Wow! That must have been Opal. I'm glad you got out of there.

I visited the Destin and Fort Walton Beach areas a lot back in 1975, when we were stationed in Meridian, MS. It was an easy drive, and the area was spectacular, and nearly empty most of the year. I've heard that it's really built up now, though, and that I wouldn't recognize it.

Carole

john h on 6/14/02 at 11:19 (087591)

While you are traveling Carole I guess you know that Kinko's Print Stores usually have several on line computers hooked up in their stores you can rent by the hour if you need an internet fix. They normally have both PC and Mac to fit your every need. Many hotels now have DSL hookups in rooms for the laptop travelers. Then again, you may need an escape from all this PF stuff.

Re: internet on vacation

Carole C in NOLA on 6/14/02 at 12:33 (087598)

I'll be taking my laptop, but I'll also be sharing a room with my brother in order to minimize expenses for both of us (it's our frugal Scottish ancestry at work, I'm sure).

If I get online at all, we'll probably be answering e-mails to relatives and looking at real estate sites and so on. I don't want to talk to him about PF.

But then, maybe I'll have more time for solitary computing than I think. If so, I'll be sure to drop in!

Carole C

Rick R on 6/14/02 at 14:13 (087602)

John,

North Carolina is rapidly becoming my home away from home. I was there all week and will be back next week. I have been working in Cary managing an acquisition. So far I haven't ventured out past the stinking strip malls except one trip to Wright beach in March.

Rick

nancy s. on 6/14/02 at 16:01 (087613)

destin seems to get about every third hurricane that has a name. nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there.

nancy