Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Could I also have post. tib. tendonitis?

Posted by Andrue on 6/14/02 at 08:14 (087560)

After a recent attempt to return to cycling I've been getting pain on the inside of my ankle below and in front of the bump. The left foot sometimes feels like something is being stretched (v. painful) if I stand on it and my arch collapses more than normal (ankle rotating under wheight).

I also trigged it last night while icing with a bag of peas. My left foot was curled over the bag (entire surface in contact including toes and heel) and I moved my left knee out while keeping the foot flat on the peas - ouch!

I've had some swelling (not painful but occasionally a bit red) in this position on both feet for months and had assumed it was a feature of PF.

Could it be PTT?

Given that I hardly ever have pain in the bottom of my heel, it isn't worse after rest and that the worst of my pain is in front of my heel on the inside (below the swelling) could all my problems be PTT?

It seems to me that barefoot cycling and wearing slippers while doing heavy work (my two most likely culprits) would both affect this tendon.

I'm going to the pod. tomorrow and am wondering if I should try and suggest this or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Re: Could I also have post. tib. tendonitis?

paula on 6/14/02 at 09:19 (087577)

hi, not a doctor, but thought i'd tell you that i have pttd which means posterior tibial tendon dysfunction. with some similar symptoms as yours. maybe docs can tell us what is difference with ptt and pttd. i am sort of confused on that. i think the former means post tib tendon has micro tears and the latter means it has been stretched so badly it can't work right without either physical tehrapy or operation. ?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/14/02 at 11:03 (087587)

Your not barking up the wrong tree. Suggest an MRI or Diagnostic Ultrasound. Good luck

Dr. John Cozzarelli

paula on 6/14/02 at 09:19 (087577)

hi, not a doctor, but thought i'd tell you that i have pttd which means posterior tibial tendon dysfunction. with some similar symptoms as yours. maybe docs can tell us what is difference with ptt and pttd. i am sort of confused on that. i think the former means post tib tendon has micro tears and the latter means it has been stretched so badly it can't work right without either physical tehrapy or operation. ?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/14/02 at 11:03 (087587)

Your not barking up the wrong tree. Suggest an MRI or Diagnostic Ultrasound. Good luck

Dr. John Cozzarelli