Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bone Spur

Posted by Carolyn J on 6/14/02 at 09:06 (087572)

I have been diagnosed from an xray as having a heel spur. I was diagnosed today in Augsburg Germany near my new home. I am surprised to find a typical cause of this condition as weight gain.....in the last 18 months I have lost 65 pounds (am now at 95lbs, 59') through dieting and increased exercise. I do aerobics and dance every morning and have experienced the heel pain since last June 2001. It has increased so significantly that I am often unable to walk without extreme pain, although during exercise I experience less pain. I do not yet fully understand the German language and have found myself lacking in valuable information as to possible treatment. I found this site in an attempt to understand what the diagnosis meant! I am a dance and aerobics teacher and cannot take a chance of further injury from my knees or hip due to poor control of walking properly. What would be the best route for complete recovery...surgery or periodic cortizone injections? I need some idea of a direction prior to my next consultion with the sports medicine facility next week. Please help!

Re: Bone Spur

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/14/02 at 10:13 (087581)

Hi Carolyn:

You are lucky you are in Germany. ESWT has been used there for many years. I would seek the services of an orthopedic doctor who is comfortable with this non-invassive treatment. That is the direction you should go in.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Carole C in NOLA on 6/14/02 at 11:29 (087592)

Carolyn, something else you should do is to read the heel pain book on this website. It describes many of the treatments for your pain that you can do yourself.

Like you, I lost weight (83 pounds) during the year and a half before my heel spurs and foot pain developed. My heel pain began last September 22nd and was caused by riding my recumbent bicycle barefoot at the highest tension, and with the seat back too far (which causes repetitive strain of the Achilles tendons). I had just bought the bicycle in an effort to 'jump start' my weight loss, which had been slowing down.

My pain has been reduced from an 8 or 9 level on a scale of 1 to 10, to a 0 to 1 level. In other words, it is essentially gone. This is due to the conservative treatments discussed in the heel pain book and on this site. Doctors here have told me that these treatments work for the vast majority of their patients (I've been given figures of 90-95%).

I did not have ESWT or surgery.

What worked for me, was rest, custom orthotics, Birkenstock shoes, never going barefoot for even one step or standing without my orthotics or Birkenstocks, using a shower stool and shower shoes, gentle non-weightbearing stretching (sitting down) several times a day, and icing.

It is possible that you may have to change occupations or at least find some way to prevent excessive strain of your feet while you heal.

Carole C

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/14/02 at 10:13 (087581)

Hi Carolyn:

You are lucky you are in Germany. ESWT has been used there for many years. I would seek the services of an orthopedic doctor who is comfortable with this non-invassive treatment. That is the direction you should go in.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Carole C in NOLA on 6/14/02 at 11:29 (087592)

Carolyn, something else you should do is to read the heel pain book on this website. It describes many of the treatments for your pain that you can do yourself.

Like you, I lost weight (83 pounds) during the year and a half before my heel spurs and foot pain developed. My heel pain began last September 22nd and was caused by riding my recumbent bicycle barefoot at the highest tension, and with the seat back too far (which causes repetitive strain of the Achilles tendons). I had just bought the bicycle in an effort to 'jump start' my weight loss, which had been slowing down.

My pain has been reduced from an 8 or 9 level on a scale of 1 to 10, to a 0 to 1 level. In other words, it is essentially gone. This is due to the conservative treatments discussed in the heel pain book and on this site. Doctors here have told me that these treatments work for the vast majority of their patients (I've been given figures of 90-95%).

I did not have ESWT or surgery.

What worked for me, was rest, custom orthotics, Birkenstock shoes, never going barefoot for even one step or standing without my orthotics or Birkenstocks, using a shower stool and shower shoes, gentle non-weightbearing stretching (sitting down) several times a day, and icing.

It is possible that you may have to change occupations or at least find some way to prevent excessive strain of your feet while you heal.

Carole C