Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Simple strain or PF?

Posted by KateB on 6/14/02 at 12:04 (087594)

Help! Last Friday, I believe I injured myself doing the cool-down of an aerobic workout. The instructor did a stretch (I think it's called runner's stretch?) where you have one foot in front, knee over ankle, and the other one stretched WAY back, until you are down so far your chest is right over your thigh (of the front leg).

Anyway, I did the stretch with the left leg WAY back and really pushed it, then I went to do the right leg back, and my left foot started some MAJOR foot cramps. I stopped the stretch, of course, and finished the cool-down on my own with some more gentle stretching, and massaged my foot a little bit.

Saturday morning I woke up and could barely walk on my left foot. With every step, my heel was killing me. Here it is, almost one week later, and I'm still having a lot of pain. Mostly it's in the rear arch / front heel section. From all my Internet searching, it sounds like a case of PF.

But, here's the thing. It doesn't hurt much with impact, but it really hurts with release. When I put my left heel down, there is just a very mild bruise-type feeling, but when I start to lift that foot back up, the real pain comes. Is this normal for PF - most of what I read indicates the pain comes when the foot hits the floor. So, I'm thinking I may just have a mildly strained arch or some other strained ligament/tendon/muscle.

Also, I can push my finger in hard all over my arch and heel with no pain. But there's a spot on the inside of my ankle, just abover the heel and behind the bump/bone that really hurts with pressure.

I haven't worked out all week, and I've been trying to rest as much as possible (but that's hard with a busy preschooler). I've also been icing, stretching calves, elevating, heating, etc. It seems to feel better later in the day (after several rounds of icing, stretching, etc.)

I have made a podiatrist appt, but they can't fit me in for two weeks. I also made a chiro. appt but they can't see me until Monday.

Just looking for some opinions or advice... Thanks in advance!

Kate

Re: Simple strain or PF?

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/14/02 at 15:08 (087605)

Your description does not make the diagnosis clear. It is an acute injury so you should see a practitioner who can see you within a couple of days.
I would call around to find a podiatrist who can see you sooner.
Ed

Re: Simple strain or PF?

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/14/02 at 15:08 (087605)

Your description does not make the diagnosis clear. It is an acute injury so you should see a practitioner who can see you within a couple of days.
I would call around to find a podiatrist who can see you sooner.
Ed