Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Methadone

Posted by J. King on 6/14/02 at 21:03 (087648)

My workers compensation nurse advised me to ask my pain management doctor to pprescribe methadone for me. She thinks this is a wonder drug. I know that it is addictive but she says it is not. Has anyone had experience with methadone?

Re: Methadone

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/17/02 at 16:36 (087831)

Methadone was originally used to allow patients addicted to narcotics to get off their addiction. Occasionally, it can be used as a treatment for chronic pain. Pain clinics can often be very creative in the way they use and combine medications for treatment of chronic pain.
Ed

J. King on 6/18/02 at 08:35 (087882)

Dr. Davis

I just don't want to become dependent on narcotics. I got dependent on vicodin for a while and it was not good. I got depressed. It seems that for chronic pain narcotics don't really work. I need to have my wits about me since I deal with workman's compensation and the veterans administration. These guys will try and cut your benefits if you do or say anything they can twist to make it seem that you have recovered. Plus, if you are driving in a narcotic daze and have a wreck you are DUI. I know some folks have no choice regarding pain meds. When it gets bad enough you will seek relief.

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/19/02 at 15:34 (088023)

Where is your pain? Cause?
Ed

J. King on 6/20/02 at 16:21 (088154)

I have pain in my feet, neck, shoulder, and wrist. The foot pain is PF and maybe TTS. These problems are all work-related. The foot pain is manageable as long as I stay off them.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/21/02 at 18:56 (088246)

What treatment have you had for PF? Has an NCV (nerve conduction velocity test) been done on your feet?
Ed

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/17/02 at 16:36 (087831)

Methadone was originally used to allow patients addicted to narcotics to get off their addiction. Occasionally, it can be used as a treatment for chronic pain. Pain clinics can often be very creative in the way they use and combine medications for treatment of chronic pain.
Ed

J. King on 6/18/02 at 08:35 (087882)

Dr. Davis

I just don't want to become dependent on narcotics. I got dependent on vicodin for a while and it was not good. I got depressed. It seems that for chronic pain narcotics don't really work. I need to have my wits about me since I deal with workman's compensation and the veterans administration. These guys will try and cut your benefits if you do or say anything they can twist to make it seem that you have recovered. Plus, if you are driving in a narcotic daze and have a wreck you are DUI. I know some folks have no choice regarding pain meds. When it gets bad enough you will seek relief.

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/19/02 at 15:34 (088023)

Where is your pain? Cause?
Ed

J. King on 6/20/02 at 16:21 (088154)

I have pain in my feet, neck, shoulder, and wrist. The foot pain is PF and maybe TTS. These problems are all work-related. The foot pain is manageable as long as I stay off them.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/21/02 at 18:56 (088246)

What treatment have you had for PF? Has an NCV (nerve conduction velocity test) been done on your feet?
Ed