Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Major Setback in TT Release Surgery Recovery

Posted by Mike S. on 6/15/02 at 00:32 (087656)

Had surgery May 3, recovery through 5 weeks post-op went uneventful - was walking short distances with little problem. At end of 5th week, I guess I walked too much on Saturday (minor repairs around the house), Sunday light walking around house. Monday morning I had pain between achilles tendon & inside ankle that grew into gross swelling that I can't get down with NSAIDS, ice, rest & elevation.

Anyone else had a big setback with advice? Will have to consult with Doc Monday morning, but interested in stories & advice.

Re: Major Setback in TT Release Surgery Recovery

Laurie R on 6/15/02 at 12:18 (087682)

Hi Mike , I had my surgery on May 7 th so I am just a few days behind you . When did you start to put weight on your foot? Do you use crutches or a boot cast ? My Pod has me in a boot cast with crutches and says I can only put 50% of my weight on my foot for 4 weeks .. That will put me at the 8 week mark . I had a PF release and a TT release and he also cleaned out my tendons ...Plus I had a groth on the bottom of my foot .

I think what you are feeling is pretty normal , I am not a doctor and I think it is good you are going to see your doctor on Mon . What you explained , I have the same thing going on . But my foot is not painful , it is more of a soreness ...My ankle and achilles tendon is very tight and sore , I think it is due to not using it for the 4 weeks I was all the way off of it ...

Is your's more pain or soreness ? Have you started PT yet ? I did and have went two times... They are taking it really slow with me ...

Let me know if I can help you in any way ...My best to you , Laurie R

Mike S. on 6/15/02 at 18:29 (087700)

Had cast for two weeks and no wt bearing, boot for two weeks with wt bearing, at 5 weeks I was walking fine with sneaker, then bam, now I am in bad shape. GO EASY!

kay on 6/15/02 at 21:41 (087715)

oh you guys are scaring me. i am having surgery tuesday. let us know what you find out monday. i think my doc says no weight for 3 weeks and boot cast for 4 weeks. i suppose they all have their own way of doing things but who is right and who isn't.....only god knows.

kay

Laurie R on 6/16/02 at 22:39 (087763)

Hi Kay , I want to wish you all the luck in the world on your surgery for Tue . Please keep us posted on your recovery . I am almost 6 weeks post opp and I feel really great , things are going really well. I am very happy so far that I had the surgery ...... Please don't let us scare you . Also do everything your doctor tells you to do . Please don't rush things. I stayed all the way off my foot for the first 4 weeks , that is what my Pod told me to do . I now can put 50% of my weight with my boot cast and crutches and I just started PT to build the muscles back up in my leg.

My very best to you Kay , Laurie R

kay on 6/17/02 at 13:14 (087807)

thanks laurie, you guys don't know how much i have needed the kind words. there were several post i made here where i was really depressed. i will make sure that i will post here with any good news that i have in my recovery. yes thats the power of positive thinking. lol
kay

Barbara s on 6/18/02 at 08:06 (087878)

Hi Mike and Everyone,

I a almost 8 wks pst op. I haven't been posting for a while,because I haven't had much improvment.
I have had 3 wks of pt 3 times a wk now. The pt is not bad,but the swelling in my foot doesn't go away. I have not been able to be in a cam boot as my ankle area is too swollen to fit into the one I had. When I don't this to the surgeon he just said don't wear it.
In the morning I am able to get my foot in a pair of sandals for a few hrs,until the foot starts to swell too much.
This past weekend was terrible for me, I had a migrane and spent most of it in bed. I don't know which hurt more, foot or head.

Yesterday,Mon. I went for pt Evaluation,to take to the surgeon with me today. Had a different Pt doing the eval. I was laying on my stomach moving foot this way that way, and then I felt this terrible pain and screamed and started to cry. Pt is like, what's wrong I barely touched you.
He had crabbed around my ankle area,which is very sensitive. THere is a part of the incision that has not healed yet. That area swells up so much,that everytime it starts to close up it reopens a litte when my foot swells. Oh I cried and scared my 11 yr old grandson who was with me. He heard me scream and crying and yelled Grandma are you ok. I tried to get under control quickly so not to scare him too bad. This pod also massaged my the area on the bottom of my heal where the incision is and was doing it pretty hard saying this is very tight. I askd him to stop as it was very uncomfortable. He did. He wrapped my foot in some ice,then I went home.
Let me tell I was in pain the rest of the day. I didn't know which way to turn. I have some ultram 50mg so I took two and this seemed to help somewhat.
I will be seeing the surgeon today at 1030am hopefully he'll give me sometime to talk to him.
I am still not back at work,although the disability center sent me a letter on the 11th saying my benefits where only approved til June 7. I'll have to talk to Doc. about that today, as he sent them a note on may 22 saying I would be out another month yet. I'm not ready to go back. I still can't drive and after yesterday I think that PT set me back on my recovery.
I talked with my Primary Care Physician yesterday and I'm waiting for Pain Management Clinic to call me for an appointment. I was to a pain management Doc. a few yrs ago, but all he did was some enjections,that never worked so I never went back. Doc says this is different, so we will see.
Glad to hear almost everyone is doing so well, hope to join that group soon. Take care and God Bless Barbara S.

Jean T. on 6/18/02 at 11:04 (087903)

Kay I had surgery May16. A cast on for 2 weeks and no weigth bearing for 5. today I get to walk with crutches. So far so good. Just remember keep your foot up.
Jean

KathyB on 6/18/02 at 13:46 (087919)

Kay, I have not had TTS surgery, but I have had three surgeries on my ankle for my posterior tibial tendon problems and sub-talar joint problems. On my right foot I ruptured the tendon, a year later I crushed the sub-talar joint in the same ankle, six months later the right leg could not take the strain any longer and they caught the tendon before it ruptured and the joint before it went. I have been plodding along for 2 1/2 years of therapy and can walk without a limp. I have TTS in both of my ankles and will need 2 - 3 more surgeries in the next year or two. You will go through a point of depression because of a loss of your independence; if you know about you can catch it. Make sure you have made arrangements to get around and have as normal life as you can, but I caution you DON'T OVER DO IT!!!!! You will get through it and be so much better for it, if you take your time and don't rush it. Yes, I am still in pain for my TTS, but my new meds are helping to control it. Use your pain meds, if they don't work get better ones. Demand them they are your right. Take care and my prayers are with you on your recovery.

KathyB on 6/18/02 at 13:55 (087921)

You need to get another PT. NO PT should crab at you for your pain. I had a great PT who understood how much pain I was in after I ruptured my posterior tibial tendon. When I came out of my cast, my foot was still not to the floor; I could not even touch the area. My PT worked some hands on, hands off and used ultrasound that killed me. She tried various things to find which would not hurt me. She is the only reason that I don't have a major limp on that foot. I trusted her and she helped me though the worst time in my life with her compassion, skill and good humor. My PT put me in the pool early to help with both the swelling and walking (I work a belt so I could just barely touch the bottom) Aqua therapy worked very well for me.

Keep going though PTs until you find one that had both compassion and skill. It is your right to have a compassionate, skillful person who will work with you to reduce the pain not torture you. You should feel better after PT, not worse.

john h on 6/18/02 at 19:50 (087944)

go get'm Kay!

Re: Barb - so sorry you are still having problems

Missy B on 6/18/02 at 22:07 (087967)

Hi Barb,
I am so sorry to hear of your bad experiences. I have been thinking about you and wondering how the physical therapy was going and why you were not posting. I was hoping you were waiting to give us a good report, but I see this is not the case.
I think you need to make your doctor sit down and listen to your concerns. We all heal at different rates, but he should be able to explain to you why you are still having problems at this stage of your recovery. I guess I was lucky in that even though my pod has a very busy practice, he will always take the time to ask you pertinent questions as to how you are doing and really listen to your answers and your questions.
I agree with Kathy - you might also try looking for another therapist. He/she should be working with you to restore flexibility and strength, not create pain. Sure, my therapy was a little uncomfortable at times and I expected it to hurt a little since that happens when you are restoring a joint or muscle group to normal function - but you should never be subjected to severe pain. There are many forms of therapy - stretching exercises, treadmill or bicycle, aquatic, ultrasound, etc. - find a therapist who will work with you to find which ones are both comfortable and benefical for you.
Keep hanging in there - I know it can't be easy and your job disability problem must make you very frustrated. I hope you will continue to rest that foot at every opportunity as I feel that lots of 'off the foot' time has been very instrumental in my recovery. I will be thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers, hoping that you will see some major improvement very soon. Please keep us posted. We are here for you.
Missy B.

trish e on 6/27/02 at 07:48 (088573)

hello,talking about set backs well I had my surgery on 2/26/02,to make a long story short I have more pain than before my surgery,swelling ,burning,was in air cast 3wks and than last week dr says ok lets try your shoes now that was on the 19th by the 22rd I called and told him I could not bear the pain in my heal area so he says I need you to come in ,I have all the same going on with my foot but worse,my r.o.m. is better but the heal pain is worse so I took pic of my foot for 4 days called the office again on the 24th and the sec says trish you really should let him check it if it is painfull and swelling so thats what I dsid ,well as it turns out all this is from stress,healing,scar tissue,and possibilty of pinched nerve in my back,as far as the pic goes he said they were no help at all,sorry for waisting my ink I told him I felt that the neourton was doing nothing,along with the elivil,the double dose of v-b.than he says well the incision looks good there is no swelling,but it was swollen at 8.am my appointment was at 9.45am guess after 49 yrs and being in the health field my-self in ortho I don't know what swelling is.thank you for having this site so ppl like my-self can release.

Laurie R on 6/15/02 at 12:18 (087682)

Hi Mike , I had my surgery on May 7 th so I am just a few days behind you . When did you start to put weight on your foot? Do you use crutches or a boot cast ? My Pod has me in a boot cast with crutches and says I can only put 50% of my weight on my foot for 4 weeks .. That will put me at the 8 week mark . I had a PF release and a TT release and he also cleaned out my tendons ...Plus I had a groth on the bottom of my foot .

I think what you are feeling is pretty normal , I am not a doctor and I think it is good you are going to see your doctor on Mon . What you explained , I have the same thing going on . But my foot is not painful , it is more of a soreness ...My ankle and achilles tendon is very tight and sore , I think it is due to not using it for the 4 weeks I was all the way off of it ...

Is your's more pain or soreness ? Have you started PT yet ? I did and have went two times... They are taking it really slow with me ...

Let me know if I can help you in any way ...My best to you , Laurie R

Mike S. on 6/15/02 at 18:29 (087700)

Had cast for two weeks and no wt bearing, boot for two weeks with wt bearing, at 5 weeks I was walking fine with sneaker, then bam, now I am in bad shape. GO EASY!

kay on 6/15/02 at 21:41 (087715)

oh you guys are scaring me. i am having surgery tuesday. let us know what you find out monday. i think my doc says no weight for 3 weeks and boot cast for 4 weeks. i suppose they all have their own way of doing things but who is right and who isn't.....only god knows.

kay

Laurie R on 6/16/02 at 22:39 (087763)

Hi Kay , I want to wish you all the luck in the world on your surgery for Tue . Please keep us posted on your recovery . I am almost 6 weeks post opp and I feel really great , things are going really well. I am very happy so far that I had the surgery ...... Please don't let us scare you . Also do everything your doctor tells you to do . Please don't rush things. I stayed all the way off my foot for the first 4 weeks , that is what my Pod told me to do . I now can put 50% of my weight with my boot cast and crutches and I just started PT to build the muscles back up in my leg.

My very best to you Kay , Laurie R

kay on 6/17/02 at 13:14 (087807)

thanks laurie, you guys don't know how much i have needed the kind words. there were several post i made here where i was really depressed. i will make sure that i will post here with any good news that i have in my recovery. yes thats the power of positive thinking. lol
kay

Barbara s on 6/18/02 at 08:06 (087878)

Hi Mike and Everyone,

I a almost 8 wks pst op. I haven't been posting for a while,because I haven't had much improvment.
I have had 3 wks of pt 3 times a wk now. The pt is not bad,but the swelling in my foot doesn't go away. I have not been able to be in a cam boot as my ankle area is too swollen to fit into the one I had. When I don't this to the surgeon he just said don't wear it.
In the morning I am able to get my foot in a pair of sandals for a few hrs,until the foot starts to swell too much.
This past weekend was terrible for me, I had a migrane and spent most of it in bed. I don't know which hurt more, foot or head.

Yesterday,Mon. I went for pt Evaluation,to take to the surgeon with me today. Had a different Pt doing the eval. I was laying on my stomach moving foot this way that way, and then I felt this terrible pain and screamed and started to cry. Pt is like, what's wrong I barely touched you.
He had crabbed around my ankle area,which is very sensitive. THere is a part of the incision that has not healed yet. That area swells up so much,that everytime it starts to close up it reopens a litte when my foot swells. Oh I cried and scared my 11 yr old grandson who was with me. He heard me scream and crying and yelled Grandma are you ok. I tried to get under control quickly so not to scare him too bad. This pod also massaged my the area on the bottom of my heal where the incision is and was doing it pretty hard saying this is very tight. I askd him to stop as it was very uncomfortable. He did. He wrapped my foot in some ice,then I went home.
Let me tell I was in pain the rest of the day. I didn't know which way to turn. I have some ultram 50mg so I took two and this seemed to help somewhat.
I will be seeing the surgeon today at 1030am hopefully he'll give me sometime to talk to him.
I am still not back at work,although the disability center sent me a letter on the 11th saying my benefits where only approved til June 7. I'll have to talk to Doc. about that today, as he sent them a note on may 22 saying I would be out another month yet. I'm not ready to go back. I still can't drive and after yesterday I think that PT set me back on my recovery.
I talked with my Primary Care Physician yesterday and I'm waiting for Pain Management Clinic to call me for an appointment. I was to a pain management Doc. a few yrs ago, but all he did was some enjections,that never worked so I never went back. Doc says this is different, so we will see.
Glad to hear almost everyone is doing so well, hope to join that group soon. Take care and God Bless Barbara S.

Jean T. on 6/18/02 at 11:04 (087903)

Kay I had surgery May16. A cast on for 2 weeks and no weigth bearing for 5. today I get to walk with crutches. So far so good. Just remember keep your foot up.
Jean

KathyB on 6/18/02 at 13:46 (087919)

Kay, I have not had TTS surgery, but I have had three surgeries on my ankle for my posterior tibial tendon problems and sub-talar joint problems. On my right foot I ruptured the tendon, a year later I crushed the sub-talar joint in the same ankle, six months later the right leg could not take the strain any longer and they caught the tendon before it ruptured and the joint before it went. I have been plodding along for 2 1/2 years of therapy and can walk without a limp. I have TTS in both of my ankles and will need 2 - 3 more surgeries in the next year or two. You will go through a point of depression because of a loss of your independence; if you know about you can catch it. Make sure you have made arrangements to get around and have as normal life as you can, but I caution you DON'T OVER DO IT!!!!! You will get through it and be so much better for it, if you take your time and don't rush it. Yes, I am still in pain for my TTS, but my new meds are helping to control it. Use your pain meds, if they don't work get better ones. Demand them they are your right. Take care and my prayers are with you on your recovery.

KathyB on 6/18/02 at 13:55 (087921)

You need to get another PT. NO PT should crab at you for your pain. I had a great PT who understood how much pain I was in after I ruptured my posterior tibial tendon. When I came out of my cast, my foot was still not to the floor; I could not even touch the area. My PT worked some hands on, hands off and used ultrasound that killed me. She tried various things to find which would not hurt me. She is the only reason that I don't have a major limp on that foot. I trusted her and she helped me though the worst time in my life with her compassion, skill and good humor. My PT put me in the pool early to help with both the swelling and walking (I work a belt so I could just barely touch the bottom) Aqua therapy worked very well for me.

Keep going though PTs until you find one that had both compassion and skill. It is your right to have a compassionate, skillful person who will work with you to reduce the pain not torture you. You should feel better after PT, not worse.

john h on 6/18/02 at 19:50 (087944)

go get'm Kay!

Re: Barb - so sorry you are still having problems

Missy B on 6/18/02 at 22:07 (087967)

Hi Barb,
I am so sorry to hear of your bad experiences. I have been thinking about you and wondering how the physical therapy was going and why you were not posting. I was hoping you were waiting to give us a good report, but I see this is not the case.
I think you need to make your doctor sit down and listen to your concerns. We all heal at different rates, but he should be able to explain to you why you are still having problems at this stage of your recovery. I guess I was lucky in that even though my pod has a very busy practice, he will always take the time to ask you pertinent questions as to how you are doing and really listen to your answers and your questions.
I agree with Kathy - you might also try looking for another therapist. He/she should be working with you to restore flexibility and strength, not create pain. Sure, my therapy was a little uncomfortable at times and I expected it to hurt a little since that happens when you are restoring a joint or muscle group to normal function - but you should never be subjected to severe pain. There are many forms of therapy - stretching exercises, treadmill or bicycle, aquatic, ultrasound, etc. - find a therapist who will work with you to find which ones are both comfortable and benefical for you.
Keep hanging in there - I know it can't be easy and your job disability problem must make you very frustrated. I hope you will continue to rest that foot at every opportunity as I feel that lots of 'off the foot' time has been very instrumental in my recovery. I will be thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers, hoping that you will see some major improvement very soon. Please keep us posted. We are here for you.
Missy B.

trish e on 6/27/02 at 07:48 (088573)

hello,talking about set backs well I had my surgery on 2/26/02,to make a long story short I have more pain than before my surgery,swelling ,burning,was in air cast 3wks and than last week dr says ok lets try your shoes now that was on the 19th by the 22rd I called and told him I could not bear the pain in my heal area so he says I need you to come in ,I have all the same going on with my foot but worse,my r.o.m. is better but the heal pain is worse so I took pic of my foot for 4 days called the office again on the 24th and the sec says trish you really should let him check it if it is painfull and swelling so thats what I dsid ,well as it turns out all this is from stress,healing,scar tissue,and possibilty of pinched nerve in my back,as far as the pic goes he said they were no help at all,sorry for waisting my ink I told him I felt that the neourton was doing nothing,along with the elivil,the double dose of v-b.than he says well the incision looks good there is no swelling,but it was swollen at 8.am my appointment was at 9.45am guess after 49 yrs and being in the health field my-self in ortho I don't know what swelling is.thank you for having this site so ppl like my-self can release.