Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Scott - Looking for Canada followup - eom

Posted by John W on 6/15/02 at 09:43 (087667)

Scott. Have you heard from the patients we took to Toronto to be treated on the Ossatron. I aam looking for long term follow up. I have been gone a while.

Re: Scott - Looking for Canada followup - eom

Scott R on 6/15/02 at 09:58 (087668)

There were 400,000 words at heelspurs.com in posts about the OssaTron. Two files relate to your request:

threads/21296.html
threads/21133.html

If you email me, I can send you their last-known phone numbers.

Re: more ossatron gang update

Scott R on 6/15/02 at 11:15 (087674)

I went through the messages and came up with a few relevant posts:

gina c: 3/29/2001:

I'm just now starting partial weightbearing after pf surgery. Used crutches for the first two weeks, but am now starting to use a walker with front wheels and rear 'brakes' and it is very easy to maneuver in. The walker just glides as you push it forward and makes for smooth walking. I have carpal tunnel in both hands/wrists so I was worried about a flare-up of that; the nurse suggested the walker as a way of relieving the pressure points of crutches. Would not recommend the walker for non weighbearing, but maybe that's just me. hope this helps somebody. Gina

gin c 3/19/2001:
I also had a pod who wanted me to postpone surgery (after having PF for 4 years and every treatment I could find, including ESWT) reason that, 'you've been in misery for the last four years, so what's one more year of misery before surgery?' This guy is a runner/distance walker; I couldn't walk the dog around the block! I had another pod who cross examined me as to how many doctors I had seen (4) and why I had left each one. He concluded that I had had 'an awful lot of treatment' - whatever that means! Maybe so, but none of it had helped me.

Posted by GinaC on 7/16/01 at 12:40

I finally decided to have surgery when I had exhausted all other treatment options, continued to get worse, and could no longer walk without pain and that pain was severely disrupting my life.I really felt that I was ready for surgery when I could not go on any normal type of vacation or school field trip, couldn't walk the dog, cut grass,clean house, couldn't go to the mall with my teen daughter for more than an hour without agony on the way home that continued into the next day. I was also alarmed that I was starting to have more pain when at rest. Now, I can get through the day with very little pain and am starting to walk the dog and thinking long and hard about cutting the grass (more because it will then be my job forever as opposed to foot concerns!

Posted by Nicole V.R. on 10/01/01 at 22:52

Hello everyone! It has been a long time since I posted a message on this site but I believe it may be beneficial for some for me to update my progress. I am one of the Ossatron Gang which received treatment in Toronto in February of 2000. For several months now I have considered myself 100% cured of my PF. I had suffered for several years prior to my treatment, and in fact suffered for many months after. Hindering my recovery was my pregnancy. Of course, giving birth is sheer joy in itself, but I can't begin to tell you all how happy I am that I can carry my baby up the three flights of stairs to our apartment, that I can chase after him and play with him, all with no pain.
The true test to declaring myself cured was when I took a temporary job in a college bookstore for 2 weeks for the start of classes. I worked as a cashier and stood for 7 hours straight. At the end of every day I was achey, but definitely felt no PF pain.
Thank you everyone on this board who supported me prior to and during my recovery for PF. And of course, Thank you, Scott for providing such a wonderful service.

Message Number 62172

Posted by Nicole V.R. on 10/03/01 at 16:23

To Brian G.:
I had only one Ossatron treatment. I'm not sure when I considered myself completely cured. I saw my last post to the board was a year ago, and I was in minor pain, that was 8 months after the treatment. I believe I healed fairly quickly after that, after all, I wasn't pregnant any more. No, the original Gang doesn't keep in touch (at least I don't).
========================
MOHEZ:
Posted by Mohez on 6/27/00 at 22:17

Hi to all. It has been a long time since I posted, but I have been a frequent reader of the board. Wow its changed. Those of you who know me, know that I was treated for free by John Warlick, formerly of Healthtronics. After my first treatment, I was about 25% better - tops. I subseqeuently went for a second blast and John W told me to tell DR. G to take it to the max - OUCH!!. After my second treatments on both heels, Dr. Galea said that was the highest he has taken it for any patient without being out. It has been about 13 weeks post right heel and 9 weeks post left heel. I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT THE HEELS ARE 75% BETTER THAN PRE 1ST OSSATRON TREATMENT. Having said that - it must be noted that I have not re-started any of my athletic endevours that i used to participate in pre-PF. The only thing I have done is to Golf. I can now succesfully walk a golf course ( with orthotics ) and not have ANY, I repeat ANY heel pain at all. I did not think that i would ever be able to say that. Things are looking very good from my end, the real test will come later on this summer when I start pounding on the heels a little more ( Tennis, ball hockey etc). For now I am just going to enjoy this feeling of not having the same pain every day that I have had for the last 5 years.
If anyone wants my advice - I WOULD RUN, NOT WALK TO YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBOURHOOD OSSATRON MACHINE AND GET TREATED ASAP. IT HAS WORKED FOR ME SO FAR.

My regiment still consists of stretching, orthotics and once in a while some ice and anti -inflammatories ( if I think I will have a busy day ). I will also try and buy those Personal foot trainers that seem to work on some people.

Posted by john h on 6/04/02 at 10:14

Brian: Do not forget Mohez who had multiple treatments with all three macines in Canada. He had bilateral PF for several years and had approximately 11 ESWT treatments. His last report he said he was cured and was doing all his old activities without any pain. Hope it goes this way for you. Did they perform any other treatment on your feet other than the ESWT? Sure pulling for you!!

. Mohez is back to running and doing all the things he once did.

I just went back and researched Mohez's treatments: 3 Ossatron,2 orby, 5 dornier. Do a search under Mohez as it is intersting to follow Mohez's adventure

Message Number 75193

Posted by Mohez on 2/27/02 at 15:09

The ossatron worked for me ( mind you i had it done three times ), sandwiched between five Dornier treatments and 3 Orba you know what treatments. I have been zapped like there is no tomorrow.

========================
Matt Lerner: 12/05/2001
By the way, I do consider the ESWT treatments I've received (on my non-tts foot) to be a qualified success- I've been able to avoid a pf surgery so far because of the treatments but don't feel that it will be a permanent solution. Regards.

Message Number 49868

Posted by Matt L on 6/04/01 at 13:42

Agree, I've had 3 ESWT sessions- 2 without anesthesia and 1 with. In my case, I'm fairly sure the anesthesia was not necessary as I never felt a thing during the 2 other sessions (with a localized nerve block). Evidently, others have had painful experiences.

Matt is still posting in 2002 about Tarsal tunnel.

=================
Posted by Karen K on 7/19/00 at 11:36

Hi John,
I had a very severe case of pf for 2 years prior to my tx with the OssaTron. I was treated with 'the gang' back in Feb. and by May I would say I was feeling about 50% better. Now, as I said, I'm up to 70-75% but the rate of getting better seems to slow down with each month.

Posted by Karen K on 10/04/00 at 12:43

Hi All,
I know I haven't posted lately. I'm one of the 8 who had ESWT done in Canada. I had an extremly bad case and the treatment did wonders but, I'm one who needs multiple treatments. I've been tying to hold out for FDA approval of the Ossatron to be able to recieve treatment in the states. I am on the FDA e-mail list for notifications of PMAs and such. A little over a week ago I recived the e-mail from the FDA, 'July's Approvals' and there was no mention of the OssaTron. I was so upset I thought I'd call upthe FDA and give 'em hell! (in a nice way) Well, I got transferred around a few times until I ended up in someone's voicemail. Well, I left a message basically telling them to get their act together and asking them how much longer they thought approval would take. Much to my surprise, later that day, there was a message on my answering machine from the FDA. They apologised that they could not give me any info on the status of things but assured me the dicision would be made in a matter of weeks rather then months

Posted by Karen K. on 2/21/02 at 08:19

I did have one treatment in Canada with Dr. Galea in Toronto. I highly recommend him. The first treatment did wonders for me. Like other people with really bad cases of PF I do need another treatment.

Posted by Karen K. on 2/22/02 at 09:55

I did have an MRI and it was paid for without appeal. I personally feel an MRI is a waste of time. They found no thickening of my fascia But, I still had great results with ESWT.

Posted by Karen K. on 3/06/02 at 16:13

I just got the call I've been approved! ... They are paying for all physician and vendor fees. I went through the whole appeal process including finally standing(sitting) in front of the board of appeals pleading my case. The whole appeal process took about 3 months. I was fortunate enough to have had a treatment before [ossatron in canada] and was able to explain to the board how much worse I was before my first treatment.

I hope I've done my part in convincing the Ins. company that this works and should be an option for all sufferers before fascia release surgery. I'll be having ESWT with Dr. Moran in NJ on March 28.

Posted by Karen K. on 4/01/02 at 12:18

Everything went very well. He uses the OssaTron with the help of Rhonda, the Health Tronics tech. Both Dr. Morin and Rhonda were great. I had IV sedation which I highly recommend. I didn't feel a thing. Just a little soreness for the past few days.

Too soon to tell if the procedure was successful, but I am optimistic. I've ditched the Birkenstocks. Hope to never see them again. Wearing shoes and sneakers with arch supports and stretching like crazy!

Scott R on 6/15/02 at 11:25 (087675)

'Karen K 75% better

'Matthew L 'Qualified success', has had '3 treatments', still has TTS

'NICOLE VR '100% better' but doesn't say specifically it was OssaTron

'Scott R 'Doing pretty good' doesn't know how much OssaTron helped, let's say '30%'

'helen a' unknown, lives in toronto, wasn't doing good immediately after ESWT

mohez excited about being 75% better after two treatments, eventually said to have had 11 from various

susan unknown, overweight, not a message board contributor

gina c had surgery in 2001

I'm just now starting partial weightbearing after pf surgery. Used crutches for the first two weeks, but am now starting to use a walker with front wheels and rear 'brakes' and it is very easy to maneuver in. The walker just glides as you push it forward and makes for smooth walking. I have carpal tunnel in both hands/wrists so I was worried about a flare-up of that; the nurse suggested the walker as a way of relieving the pressure points of crutches. Would not recommend the walker for non weighbearing, but maybe that's just me. hope this helps somebody. Gina

gin c 3/19/2001:
I also had a pod who wanted me to postpone surgery (after having PF for 4 years and every treatment I could find, including ESWT) reason that, 'you've been in misery for the last four years, so what's one more year of misery before surgery?' This guy is a runner/distance walker; I couldn't walk the dog around the block! I had another pod who cross examined me as to how many doctors I had seen (4) and why I had left each one. He concluded that I had had 'an awful lot of treatment' - whatever that means! Maybe so, but none of it had helped me.

I finally decided to have surgery when I had exhausted all other treatment options, continued to get worse, and could no longer walk without pain and that pain was severely disrupting my life.I really felt that I was ready for surgery when I could not go on any normal type of vacation or school field trip, couldn't walk the dog, cut grass,clean house, couldn't go to the mall with my teen daughter for more than an hour without agony on the way home that continued into the next day. I was also alarmed that I was starting to have more pain when at rest. Now, I can get through the day with very little pain and am starting to walk the dog and thinking long and hard about cutting the grass (more because it will then be my job forever as opposed to foot concerns!

Hello everyone! It has been a long time since I posted a message on this site but I believe it may be beneficial for some for me to update my progress. I am one of the Ossatron Gang which received treatment in Toronto in February of 2000. For several months now I have considered myself 100% cured of my PF. I had suffered for several years prior to my treatment, and in fact suffered for many months after. Hindering my recovery was my pregnancy. Of course, giving birth is sheer joy in itself, but I can't begin to tell you all how happy I am that I can carry my baby up the three flights of stairs to our apartment, that I can chase after him and play with him, all with no pain.
The true test to declaring myself cured was when I took a temporary job in a college bookstore for 2 weeks for the start of classes. I worked as a cashier and stood for 7 hours straight. At the end of every day I was achey, but definitely felt no PF pain.
Thank you everyone on this board who supported me prior to and during my recovery for PF. And of course, Thank you, Scott for providing such a wonderful service.

Message Number 62172

To Brian G.:
I had only one Ossatron treatment. I'm not sure when I considered myself completely cured. I saw my last post to the board was a year ago, and I was in minor pain, that was 8 months after the treatment. I believe I healed fairly quickly after that, after all, I wasn't pregnant any more. No, the original Gang doesn't keep in touch (at least I don't).
========================
MOHEZ:

Hi to all. It has been a long time since I posted, but I have been a frequent reader of the board. Wow its changed. Those of you who know me, know that I was treated for free by John Warlick, formerly of Healthtronics. After my first treatment, I was about 25% better - tops. I subseqeuently went for a second blast and John W told me to tell DR. G to take it to the max - OUCH!!. After my second treatments on both heels, Dr. Galea said that was the highest he has taken it for any patient without being out. It has been about 13 weeks post right heel and 9 weeks post left heel. I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT THE HEELS ARE 75% BETTER THAN PRE 1ST OSSATRON TREATMENT. Having said that - it must be noted that I have not re-started any of my athletic endevours that i used to participate in pre-PF. The only thing I have done is to Golf. I can now succesfully walk a golf course ( with orthotics ) and not have ANY, I repeat ANY heel pain at all. I did not think that i would ever be able to say that. Things are looking very good from my end, the real test will come later on this summer when I start pounding on the heels a little more ( Tennis, ball hockey etc). For now I am just going to enjoy this feeling of not having the same pain every day that I have had for the last 5 years.
If anyone wants my advice - I WOULD RUN, NOT WALK TO YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBOURHOOD OSSATRON MACHINE AND GET TREATED ASAP. IT HAS WORKED FOR ME SO FAR.

My regiment still consists of stretching, orthotics and once in a while some ice and anti -inflammatories ( if I think I will have a busy day ). I will also try and buy those Personal foot trainers that seem to work on some people.

Brian: Do not forget Mohez who had multiple treatments with all three macines in Canada. He had bilateral PF for several years and had approximately 11 ESWT treatments. His last report he said he was cured and was doing all his old activities without any pain. Hope it goes this way for you. Did they perform any other treatment on your feet other than the ESWT? Sure pulling for you!!

I just went back and researched Mohez's treatments: 3 Ossatron,2 orby, 5 dornier. Do a search under Mohez as it is intersting to follow Mohez's adventure

Message Number 75193

The ossatron worked for me ( mind you i had it done three times ), sandwiched between five Dornier treatments and 3 Orba you know what treatments. I have been zapped like there is no tomorrow.

========================
By the way, I do consider the ESWT treatments I've received (on my non-tts foot) to be a qualified success- I've been able to avoid a pf surgery so far because of the treatments but don't feel that it will be a permanent solution. Regards.

Message Number 49868

Agree, I've had 3 ESWT sessions- 2 without anesthesia and 1 with. In my case, I'm fairly sure the anesthesia was not necessary as I never felt a thing during the 2 other sessions (with a localized nerve block). Evidently, others have had painful experiences.

=================

Hi John,
I had a very severe case of pf for 2 years prior to my tx with the OssaTron. I was treated with 'the gang' back in Feb. and by May I would say I was feeling about 50% better. Now, as I said, I'm up to 70-75% but the rate of getting better seems to slow down with each month.

Hi All,
I know I haven't posted lately. I'm one of the 8 who had ESWT done in Canada. I had an extremly bad case and the treatment did wonders but, I'm one who needs multiple treatments. I've been tying to hold out for FDA approval of the Ossatron to be able to recieve treatment in the states. I am on the FDA e-mail list for notifications of PMAs and such. A little over a week ago I recived the e-mail from the FDA, 'July's Approvals' and there was no mention of the OssaTron. I was so upset I thought I'd call upthe FDA and give 'em hell! (in a nice way) Well, I got transferred around a few times until I ended up in someone's voicemail. Well, I left a message basically telling them to get their act together and asking them how much longer they thought approval would take. Much to my surprise, later that day, there was a message on my answering machine from the FDA. They apologised that they could not give me any info on the status of things but assured me the dicision would be made in a matter of weeks rather then months

I did have one treatment in Canada with Dr. Galea in Toronto. I highly recommend him. The first treatment did wonders for me. Like other people with really bad cases of PF I do need another treatment.

I did have an MRI and it was paid for without appeal. I personally feel an MRI is a waste of time. They found no thickening of my fascia But, I still had great results with ESWT.

I just got the call I've been approved! ... They are paying for all physician and vendor fees. I went through the whole appeal process including finally standing(sitting) in front of the board of appeals pleading my case. The whole appeal process took about 3 months. I was fortunate enough to have had a treatment before [ossatron in canada] and was able to explain to the board how much worse I was before my first treatment.

I hope I've done my part in convincing the Ins. company that this works and should be an option for all sufferers before fascia release surgery. I'll be having ESWT with Dr. Moran in NJ on March 28.

Everything went very well. He uses the OssaTron with the help of Rhonda, the Health Tronics tech. Both Dr. Morin and Rhonda were great. I had IV sedation which I highly recommend. I didn't feel a thing. Just a little soreness for the past few days.

Too soon to tell if the procedure was successful, but I am optimistic. I've ditched the Birkenstocks. Hope to never see them again. Wearing shoes and sneakers with arch supports and stretching like crazy!

John W on 6/15/02 at 14:07 (087685)

Thanks Scott. Glad we went. Maybe we can set up round two somewhere in the states.

Scott R on 6/15/02 at 15:50 (087697)

Sure, if it's your nickel, I'm sure we can find a few takers. I certainly will do it this time where no one accidentally pays for a plane ticket (evethough it wasn't my fault last time) and so that it doesn't cause me as much stress. Do it in Atlanta so you and I won't have to fly. Cheers

Re: Scott - Looking for Canada followup - eom

Scott R on 6/15/02 at 09:58 (087668)

There were 400,000 words at heelspurs.com in posts about the OssaTron. Two files relate to your request:

threads/21296.html
threads/21133.html

If you email me, I can send you their last-known phone numbers.

Scott R on 6/15/02 at 11:15 (087674)

gin c 3/19/2001:

Message Number 62172

To Brian G.:
========================
MOHEZ:

Message Number 75193

========================

Message Number 49868

=================

Hi John,

Hi All,

Scott R on 6/15/02 at 11:25 (087675)

'Karen K 75% better

'Matthew L 'Qualified success', has had '3 treatments', still has TTS

'NICOLE VR '100% better' but doesn't say specifically it was OssaTron

'Scott R 'Doing pretty good' doesn't know how much OssaTron helped, let's say '30%'

'helen a' unknown, lives in toronto, wasn't doing good immediately after ESWT

mohez excited about being 75% better after two treatments, eventually said to have had 11 from various

susan unknown, overweight, not a message board contributor

gina c had surgery in 2001

gin c 3/19/2001:

Message Number 62172

To Brian G.:
========================
MOHEZ:

Message Number 75193

========================

Message Number 49868

=================

Hi John,

Hi All,

John W on 6/15/02 at 14:07 (087685)

Thanks Scott. Glad we went. Maybe we can set up round two somewhere in the states.

Scott R on 6/15/02 at 15:50 (087697)

Sure, if it's your nickel, I'm sure we can find a few takers. I certainly will do it this time where no one accidentally pays for a plane ticket (evethough it wasn't my fault last time) and so that it doesn't cause me as much stress. Do it in Atlanta so you and I won't have to fly. Cheers