Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Brian G & those interested in painkillers

Posted by Sharon W on 6/15/02 at 11:34 (087676)

Word is, there's a new painkiller in the pipeline. This article talks about it and also gives a pretty good overview of NSAIDs and Cox-2 enzyme inhibitors and how each one works:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/767197.asp?pne=11947&Oct=-300

-- Sharon

Re: Brian G & those interested in painkillers

john h on 6/15/02 at 11:48 (087678)

Sharon: I do not no the one you are taling about but there has been some discussussion on tv and in the papers about one that is very similare to vioxx or celebrex.

Sharon W on 6/15/02 at 12:01 (087680)

John,

You are probably talking about Bextra. It is a new Cox-2 enzyme inhibitor and it works in a way similar to Vioxx or Celebrex. I tried it and didn't like it. The link I provided above makes it clear what the differences are between NSAIDs, Cox-2 enzyme inhibitors, and this new drug they are developing, licofelone, which inhibits another enzyme called 5-lox. (Licofelone is not a brand name, so when it finally comes out on the market it will undoubtedly be called something else...)

The drug they are developing is a while new TYPE of anti-inflammatory painkiller. It is apparently not yet available on the market, but I think it sounds promising (so far). Of course, the true test of ANY drug is how well it works for patients who have it prescribed for them, and THAT really won't be fully known until it has been widely available for a while.

BrianG on 6/25/02 at 17:43 (088434)

Thanks Sharon, I just read the article. For me, arthritis pain is quite a bit different than my heel pain. I tried all the prescription strength anti inflamatories, with absolutely no success for my heels. They did help my knees somewhat. I have to believe we need a new narcotic type pain med, without the side effects they currantly have. Addiction / accomodation seems to be the biggest problem with that type of pain med. Once this problem is resolved, everyone will be afforded pain relief that will work!!!

Regards
BrianG

john h on 6/15/02 at 11:48 (087678)

Sharon: I do not no the one you are taling about but there has been some discussussion on tv and in the papers about one that is very similare to vioxx or celebrex.

Sharon W on 6/15/02 at 12:01 (087680)

John,

You are probably talking about Bextra. It is a new Cox-2 enzyme inhibitor and it works in a way similar to Vioxx or Celebrex. I tried it and didn't like it. The link I provided above makes it clear what the differences are between NSAIDs, Cox-2 enzyme inhibitors, and this new drug they are developing, licofelone, which inhibits another enzyme called 5-lox. (Licofelone is not a brand name, so when it finally comes out on the market it will undoubtedly be called something else...)

The drug they are developing is a while new TYPE of anti-inflammatory painkiller. It is apparently not yet available on the market, but I think it sounds promising (so far). Of course, the true test of ANY drug is how well it works for patients who have it prescribed for them, and THAT really won't be fully known until it has been widely available for a while.

BrianG on 6/25/02 at 17:43 (088434)

Thanks Sharon, I just read the article. For me, arthritis pain is quite a bit different than my heel pain. I tried all the prescription strength anti inflamatories, with absolutely no success for my heels. They did help my knees somewhat. I have to believe we need a new narcotic type pain med, without the side effects they currantly have. Addiction / accomodation seems to be the biggest problem with that type of pain med. Once this problem is resolved, everyone will be afforded pain relief that will work!!!

Regards
BrianG