Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about use of Spenco orthotics

Posted by KatrinaB on 6/15/02 at 12:02 (087681)

I have been experiencing significant heel and arch pain, and my podiatrist recommended Spenco's Orthotic Arch Supports. (He is not convinced that I have PF, but I do obviously have some inflammation of ligaments/tendons in the foot.) The only Spenco arch supports I could find in my area are the 3/4 length. The sales person told me to buy one size smaller than my shoe size (I bought the #1 Spencos, which are for size 5/6, and I usually wear size 7 shoes).

Two questions:

1. In my sneakers (Avias and Rykas), should I remove the insole already in there, or leave it in since I bought my inserts a size smaller? When using the insert over the existing insole, I have trouble lacing tightly enough without making my toes fall asleep. But will I get enough support if I take out the existing insole? Also, these are 3/4 length supports, and I don't know if that makes a difference in this question.

2. I am only having pain in my left foot. Should I use the arch supports in both feet? It feels a bit uncomfortable on my right foot - should I just use the regular shoe without the Spenco on this foot?

Thank you for your help.

Katrina

Re: I can answer part of this.....

Carole C in NOLA on 6/15/02 at 14:57 (087692)

Katrina, unless you doctor says otherwise you should either use the arch supports in both feet, or not use them at all. If you just use one, the effect will be uneven and it seems to me like this could lead to more problems than you already have.

Have you considered getting a consulting opinion? If I were you, I'd get one. It seems like you ought to have been given a definitive diagnosis if you are feeling significant heel and arch pain. If you have PF, and you don't begin treating it early, it can become debilitating and a big problem for you for a long time to come. Some of the methods of treatment are outlined in the heel pain book on this site.

I am not sure about removing the insole. Walking around with your toes asleep doesn't sound right, though. I'd tend to think you should remove the insole so that that doesn't happen. But I will leave this question for others to answer.

Carole C

KatrinaB on 6/15/02 at 18:52 (087704)

Thanks, Carole. I will keep doing the 2 inserts - I think maybe my other foot just needs to slowly get used to the support.

And I actually do have 2 other doctor visits scheduled (another podiatrist and a chiropractor). This guy was nice, but really appeared to not be sure what I have. Basically, he told me that my pain is not in the same area as PF, and he took x-rays to rule out heel spurs and fractures, and said that I have some kind of inflammation, and we should treat it the same as PF for 2 weeks and see what happens. So I'm on Celebrex and arch supports, stretching and icing... But I would like to talk to some other doctors to see if I can get more a more specific diagnosis.

The Celebrex and arch supports seem to have helped immediately - I am feeling better today than I have in the past week.

Thanks for your advice!

Katrina

Ashley S. on 6/22/02 at 20:03 (088318)

You probably need a 'deep' shoe like the SAS free time to fit the insole and the orthotic.

Ashley

Carole C in NOLA on 6/15/02 at 14:57 (087692)

Katrina, unless you doctor says otherwise you should either use the arch supports in both feet, or not use them at all. If you just use one, the effect will be uneven and it seems to me like this could lead to more problems than you already have.

Have you considered getting a consulting opinion? If I were you, I'd get one. It seems like you ought to have been given a definitive diagnosis if you are feeling significant heel and arch pain. If you have PF, and you don't begin treating it early, it can become debilitating and a big problem for you for a long time to come. Some of the methods of treatment are outlined in the heel pain book on this site.

I am not sure about removing the insole. Walking around with your toes asleep doesn't sound right, though. I'd tend to think you should remove the insole so that that doesn't happen. But I will leave this question for others to answer.

Carole C

KatrinaB on 6/15/02 at 18:52 (087704)

Thanks, Carole. I will keep doing the 2 inserts - I think maybe my other foot just needs to slowly get used to the support.

And I actually do have 2 other doctor visits scheduled (another podiatrist and a chiropractor). This guy was nice, but really appeared to not be sure what I have. Basically, he told me that my pain is not in the same area as PF, and he took x-rays to rule out heel spurs and fractures, and said that I have some kind of inflammation, and we should treat it the same as PF for 2 weeks and see what happens. So I'm on Celebrex and arch supports, stretching and icing... But I would like to talk to some other doctors to see if I can get more a more specific diagnosis.

The Celebrex and arch supports seem to have helped immediately - I am feeling better today than I have in the past week.

Thanks for your advice!

Katrina

Ashley S. on 6/22/02 at 20:03 (088318)

You probably need a 'deep' shoe like the SAS free time to fit the insole and the orthotic.

Ashley