Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Numbness in toes

Posted by Dominic C on 6/16/02 at 12:35 (087738)

I have numbness in the base of my middle toes for the last few years which although not painfull is unconfortable when I wiggle my toes and particular noticeable when lying in bed.There is some feeling and it can come and go but never goes away entirely.
Recently I have had high blood sugar levels but have got these down to acceptable levels with diet and exercise alone.But the numbness in the toes persists.As this is one of the symtoms of diabetes I suspect that is the cause, but am not sure.Have you any suggestions to get rid of it.If it was diabetes which caused it,is it reverseable or not?

Re: Numbness in toes

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/16/02 at 14:05 (087741)

This could be a neuroma, which is a pinched nerve between your toes. Could be from the high blood glucose and could be a sign of Diabetic neuropathy

Getting rid of this could be a problem. So long as there is no pain, no change in circulation to the foot and toes your podiatrist should observe this. Are there any other symtoms beside this very localized numbness

Dominic C on 6/16/02 at 16:59 (087748)

No other dramatic symtoms in the feet.By the way the numbness is at the bottom of the first two toes after the big toe in both feet and extends about an inch in a line down dead centre of the sole of my feet.It seems to be variable and feeling comes back sometimes depending on the position of my feet.eg:If I sit with one leg horizontal across the other leg.
The color of the sole is quite pink/red although the numb part at the base of the toes is white.I have been working out, running/walking every day to get the blood glucose level down since the high glucose was measured.I now have a 14day average of 8.3 mmol/litre which is within my target range of 6-10 (I am not on any medication)
The numbness has been present for at least 3 years and possibly 5.
I have non-painful cracks on the skin of my heels but have had them for many years and they seem to have virtually dissappeared recently
Occasionally I get a pin prick type feeling like needles and pins)but not constantly

Dr. Zuckerman on 6/16/02 at 14:05 (087741)

This could be a neuroma, which is a pinched nerve between your toes. Could be from the high blood glucose and could be a sign of Diabetic neuropathy

Getting rid of this could be a problem. So long as there is no pain, no change in circulation to the foot and toes your podiatrist should observe this. Are there any other symtoms beside this very localized numbness

Dominic C on 6/16/02 at 16:59 (087748)

No other dramatic symtoms in the feet.By the way the numbness is at the bottom of the first two toes after the big toe in both feet and extends about an inch in a line down dead centre of the sole of my feet.It seems to be variable and feeling comes back sometimes depending on the position of my feet.eg:If I sit with one leg horizontal across the other leg.
The color of the sole is quite pink/red although the numb part at the base of the toes is white.I have been working out, running/walking every day to get the blood glucose level down since the high glucose was measured.I now have a 14day average of 8.3 mmol/litre which is within my target range of 6-10 (I am not on any medication)
The numbness has been present for at least 3 years and possibly 5.
I have non-painful cracks on the skin of my heels but have had them for many years and they seem to have virtually dissappeared recently
Occasionally I get a pin prick type feeling like needles and pins)but not constantly