Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I don't know what to do

Posted by KathyB on 6/16/02 at 14:43 (087742)

I have had three surgies on my ankles in the last 2 1/2 years. The first was my left ankle for a ruptured posterior tibial tendon, a year later I crushed the sub-talar join in the left ankle (they fused the joint) and six months after that my right foot when south, the tibial tendon was ready to rupture and the joint was about to collapse so they fixed them at the same time. Since then I have never been out of pain. I have tarsel tunnel in my right and have just stopped taking neurotin (1200 mg a day) and see my doctor tomorrow. I have been through everything, the steriods, the nerve block, ice, physical thearpy and now am looing at surgery again.

Please tell me is it worth it to go through another surgery and be back in the wheel chair etc. I can't walk but a little any more, I am in pain most of the time. My legs spasam constantly. Is it really worth it. I have to go in and get the screws out of my ankles from the fusion surgeries and that should help the pain. Q. Should I wait to see how that goes before considering surgery for the tarsel tunnel?

Re: Two Surgeries Close together?

Sharon W on 6/16/02 at 16:07 (087745)

Kathy B,

I am planning tarsal tunnel surgery next month and I am NOT saying it would be a bad idea to have that surgery -- it does sound like you've tried pretty much everything, and it may be your most reasonable choice -- but I do think you might do better (as you suggested) to have them get those screws out first and leave yourself some time to recover, before the tarsal tunnel operation.

I worry about chronic pain problems, especially RSD, and the impression I get is that if you have more than one painful surgery, and have them close together, it might put you at higher risk. (If you want to know more about chronic pain, please read my post 'For Henry,' under the thread 'Tarsal Tunnel' by Nikki. It contains a link to the best article I've ever seen for explaining about chronic pain, how it changes your nervous system, and why many doctors now are finally starting to take it VERY seriously.)

Perhaps one of the doctors will be able to clarify this a little better for you.

-- Sharon

KathyB on 6/16/02 at 16:29 (087746)

I have been ruled out for RSD (thankfully) but there is something going on and may still have a mild case of it. I understand chronic pain, I have been in some kind of pain for about 12 years. I am so tired.

I talk to the doctor tomorrow and think maybe I should wait and see how much pain is relieved before I take another three to four month time period of not being able to drive or do much for myself.

Sharon W on 6/16/02 at 16:07 (087745)

Kathy B,

I am planning tarsal tunnel surgery next month and I am NOT saying it would be a bad idea to have that surgery -- it does sound like you've tried pretty much everything, and it may be your most reasonable choice -- but I do think you might do better (as you suggested) to have them get those screws out first and leave yourself some time to recover, before the tarsal tunnel operation.

I worry about chronic pain problems, especially RSD, and the impression I get is that if you have more than one painful surgery, and have them close together, it might put you at higher risk. (If you want to know more about chronic pain, please read my post 'For Henry,' under the thread 'Tarsal Tunnel' by Nikki. It contains a link to the best article I've ever seen for explaining about chronic pain, how it changes your nervous system, and why many doctors now are finally starting to take it VERY seriously.)

Perhaps one of the doctors will be able to clarify this a little better for you.

-- Sharon

KathyB on 6/16/02 at 16:29 (087746)

I have been ruled out for RSD (thankfully) but there is something going on and may still have a mild case of it. I understand chronic pain, I have been in some kind of pain for about 12 years. I am so tired.

I talk to the doctor tomorrow and think maybe I should wait and see how much pain is relieved before I take another three to four month time period of not being able to drive or do much for myself.