Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by Zak L on 6/16/02 at 18:13 (087751)

This is a question about running shoes. I usually wear some sort of New Balance shoes, but lately (the past 2 years or so) I have been wearing mostly ASICS Gel Kayano shoes. I do rotate between several pairs of shoes, but the Gel Kayano has been my main shoe lately. I have had PF for over a year now, and the pain is very bad in my left heel sometimes (I have a heel spur), especially after standing around a lot. I am a runner. I run for an NCAA college cross country team so I train year-round. I have had every treatment from ultrasound to ice, to cold whirlpools to warm whirlpools to a cortisone shot, and I've been wearing orthotics since January.

Here is my question. What kind of shoes should I be wearing to run in? Are the Gel Kayano shoes okay? I also have a pair of New Balance 1121's which are huge and very stable; I thought they might help. Could you please help me out for when I go to order my next few pairs of shoes?

Re: Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/16/02 at 20:02 (087754)

Hi Zak:

I would suggest that the both the New Balance 1121 are an excellent choice. I would suggest the brand Asics if you need wider widths. This is one the reasons whyc New Balance became so popular. They offered widths, Asics does the same thing. Why would you continue to suffer in pain. Have you considered ESWT?? If you would like information on ESWT just e-mail me and I will happy to forward info to you.

Dr.John Cozzarelli

kellys on 6/17/02 at 10:46 (087799)

Zak,

Please be sure to see a good doctor for your PF. Sounds like you have tried a lot of the conservative measures, but I would really encourage you to make sure your orthotics are appropriate for your case, maybe seek another opinion, and depending on your circumstances and dr recommendation, consider ESWT.

I don't know how bad your pain is, but I was a far less serious runner than you and I kept running and doing other strenuous activity on my injury until I had a new job and better insurance, but by then everything had gotten far worse. After 2 ESWTs, my PF is mostly gone but I have some other issues so the possibility of unrestricted walking, much less running, is still a ways off. I only wish someone had warned me how important it was to get this treated early!

terri on 6/18/02 at 20:32 (087954)

Zak,
Look in your area for a store that sells running shoes that really knows their stuff. I am fortunate for a place where I live that the doctors send people to before making appointments with the doctors. The correct shoe can make all the difference. I am not saying it will cure your PF but it will help. The first time I went to the store the guy spent an hour with me. He watched me walk, watched me stand and picked out the shoes best for my feet and problems. My PF is amazingly better. I do have problems when walking alot or barefoot. The best thing is to stop running and let them heal. --Terri

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/16/02 at 20:02 (087754)

Hi Zak:

I would suggest that the both the New Balance 1121 are an excellent choice. I would suggest the brand Asics if you need wider widths. This is one the reasons whyc New Balance became so popular. They offered widths, Asics does the same thing. Why would you continue to suffer in pain. Have you considered ESWT?? If you would like information on ESWT just e-mail me and I will happy to forward info to you.

Dr.John Cozzarelli

kellys on 6/17/02 at 10:46 (087799)

Zak,

Please be sure to see a good doctor for your PF. Sounds like you have tried a lot of the conservative measures, but I would really encourage you to make sure your orthotics are appropriate for your case, maybe seek another opinion, and depending on your circumstances and dr recommendation, consider ESWT.

I don't know how bad your pain is, but I was a far less serious runner than you and I kept running and doing other strenuous activity on my injury until I had a new job and better insurance, but by then everything had gotten far worse. After 2 ESWTs, my PF is mostly gone but I have some other issues so the possibility of unrestricted walking, much less running, is still a ways off. I only wish someone had warned me how important it was to get this treated early!

terri on 6/18/02 at 20:32 (087954)

Zak,
Look in your area for a store that sells running shoes that really knows their stuff. I am fortunate for a place where I live that the doctors send people to before making appointments with the doctors. The correct shoe can make all the difference. I am not saying it will cure your PF but it will help. The first time I went to the store the guy spent an hour with me. He watched me walk, watched me stand and picked out the shoes best for my feet and problems. My PF is amazingly better. I do have problems when walking alot or barefoot. The best thing is to stop running and let them heal. --Terri