Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Interesting site. Anyone willing to try this solution?

Posted by Pauline on 6/16/02 at 21:32 (087757)

I don't know if this site has been posted before, but it seems everyone
has a simple cure for P.F. Check this site out for another money maker. http://www.footarch.com

Re: Interesting site. Anyone willing to try this solution?

Valerie S on 6/16/02 at 22:34 (087762)

I read the first 'free' chapter... his theory is that if you learn to use the muscle in the arch of your foot properly, you won't have foot or lower leg pain. He is professing it as a preventative measure and a cure. He makes it sound though, like only people with flat feet have problems, and that if your arch is good, you won't have pain. Maybe I misread this, since my arch appears normal. I guess that doesn't mean that I am 'using it properly.' ...

Cost is $9.99 to download to your computer, or you can order the paperback sent to you for $15.99 + $4.50 shipping.

He says that arch supports and shoes with arch support are merely 'crutches' that weaken the muscles... hmmmm. How do I use my arches properly? He is not a doctor, but has an engineering background ...

I never would proclaim myself an expert, but I doubt his theory a little... I would be interested to hear if someone actually reads this book.

-Val.

john h on 6/17/02 at 07:00 (087776)

Valerie: Have you ever considred that Scott may have written this book under s psuedonym?

wendyn on 6/17/02 at 07:22 (087780)

Hmmmm = Scott this isn't yours is it???!??

Valerie S on 6/17/02 at 08:55 (087789)

Didn't think of that... I also can't think of anything witty to say back...

Mahatmelissama on 6/17/02 at 12:07 (087802)

(914) area code is S New York: Westchester County

this is not from Scott R...unless he hired somebody in NY to answer the
phone for him

JoAnn V on 6/17/02 at 12:55 (087803)

Has anyone bought the book? I would love to hear what your opinion is.

Re: How do YOU know Scott's area code?

Valerie S on 6/17/02 at 12:58 (087804)

hee hee... you have the right to remain silent (or just hang up... *wink wink*... ) ... kidding you, of course... unless!

Re: he lives in the south you silly goose! eom

Mahatmelissama on 6/17/02 at 13:47 (087811)

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/17/02 at 19:09 (087847)

Valerie:

There is some logic to his theory. One question I used to get from a lot of hardcore runners I used to treat as patients was about the elite runners from Kenya and other African nations that run barefoot.

Modern civilization has caused the intrinsic musculature of the foot, that is, the muscles that take origin and insertion within the soles of the foot to atrophy. Any medical student who paid good attention during cadaver lab can attest to the fact that the intrinsic musculature of the foot was atrophied and sometimes hard to identify.

Most of the intrinsic musculature of the foot runs parallel to the plantar fascia. As such, contracture of the intrinsic musculature dcreases plantar fascial tension. One of the exercises that we were taught in school to teach to patients in the good old days (1980's) was to stretch a towel out on the floor in front of the feet and repeatedly use one's toes to pull in and bunch up the towel. Most patients get a nasty cramp in their arch (the intrinsic muscles going into spasm) and quit the exercise in a few days go we basically forgot about it.

The Russians, during the bad old days (1980's when they were still the USSR and could perform interesting experiments on people) found that they could apply electrodes to the arch of the feet, vigorously (and painfully) cause the muscles in the sole to contract and enlarge and cure plantar fasciitis as a consequence. They used a current which now is still available on elctrotherapy machines termed 'Russian stimulation.' Therapists use the Russian stimulation current at a modest amplitude to prevent atrophy of muscles during cast immobilization.

Ed

john h on 6/18/02 at 09:55 (087897)

Dr. Ed: I still lay on my back and use a towell around my toes to stretch the feet and calves. I do not know how far up you can crank a tens unit but you can certainly get some attention with it on full power. I have one. Where would you suggest the electrodes be placed? Perhaps at the base of the hallux and where the fascia attaches to the heel? For how long? Until you cry 'uncle'?

Re: Try this exercise - no equipment needed!

Pamela S on 6/18/02 at 13:06 (087915)

I saw this exercise at one point on this site (somebody had been prescribed it by a physical therapist). It is completely non-weight-bearing. I tried it, and at first I got horrible cramping in the arch. However, I persisted, and after a while I could do it without the cramping.
From the descriptions above, I would guess this exercise gets the intrinsic muscles of the foot. Dr. Davis, maybe after trying this you could tell us which muscles this gets?

Either do this in bed, or sitting in a chair. Stretch your feet out in front of you. Point your toes as hard as you can. Next, angle the pointed toes in (bend the point of the toes in, towards each other, but keep them pointed). It's a good one! Of course, you'll want to stretch after this one.

RACHAEL T. on 6/18/02 at 13:56 (087922)

Many months ago, this exercise used to drive me crazy - but now it is done w/ ease....so for those of you that are getting spasms or having difficulty with this stretch, you can rest assured - go slowly & you will achieve it -- there is hope!

Re: Has this exercise helped relieve your PF symptoms??

Valerie S on 6/18/02 at 22:37 (087972)

I will try it... I already know my feet are not going to like it at first, but I am also sure that my arches and feet in general are weak and pathetic. Since strengthening the intrinsic muscle, have you noticed any relief in your PF? Just wondering...

Thanks, and about to go try these right now,

-Val.

P.S: John, are you going to buy the book or what?

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/19/02 at 15:13 (088021)

John:

The TENs unit is a different type of current, designed primarily to interrupt nerve impulses carrying pain signals. The electroptherapy unit being used needs to be able to recruit muscle fibers, that is elicit a strong sustained muscular contraction beneath the elctrode.
Ed

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/19/02 at 15:14 (088022)

Pamela:

It sounds like this would work some of the intrinsics, perhaps the medial ones more.
Ed

paula on 6/19/02 at 16:05 (088031)

dr ed, here are the intrinsic exercises various pt s showed me. do you think people should try them without a pt overseeing them? i put something soft between toes and squeeze toes together. i pick up marbles, pens, towels with toes. i lean sides of foot against soemtinng as an isometric and hold. i pull a theraband against toes both up and down and side to side. i pull foot both up and down against a theraband. i rigged a homemade wobble board and use it for ankles. i roll a ball under arches. all very slowly very softely with no pain ever allowed. if i have the slightest pain later or next day i must wait till all pain goes away to start again. she is very very strickt about it and is always holding me back saying go gentler .do you think this is too much exercise? my feet are getting stronger with this regime.

john h on 6/19/02 at 18:40 (088042)

Valerie: I am currently reading 'War and Peace' so do not have time.

john h on 6/19/02 at 18:48 (088045)

Only two types of current Dr. Ed. AC and DC. Probably the tens is not as powerful as what you need. You can vary wave length and pulse rate with my TENS and it is strong enough to grab the muscles in a forceful manner. Many years ago they made a device they sold mostly to the ladies called a Relaxisizor. It was 110V AC and its purpose was to exercise the muscles while you layed down. I will guarantee you this baby could put out enough current/power to do anything to your muscles. I suspect it was finally outlawed as dangerous. My wife had one.

Pamela S on 6/19/02 at 19:51 (088055)

I would say it has helped, along with alot of other stuff I have been doing. I'm on the verge of cured (I can stand all day with no problems, walk, etc.). Most people on this board would consider me cured. My standard of 'really cured' is that I can do impact dancing for several hours on half-point without any problems at all. I haven't tried this yet.

If you're fighting weak foot muscles, in addition to this exercise get the Personal Foot Trainers - they are non-weight bearing, and you'll discover muscles in your feet you didn't know you had! When I got those, I was much more acute, and I definitely noticed an improvement in about a month. They are also totally non-weight bearing.

I have also been doing other weight-bearing exercises I got from runner's sites.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/22/02 at 12:05 (088293)

John:

There are a number of electrotherapy units that include a modality specifically labelled as 'Russian stimulation.' That is what needs to be used. The number of different currents used is amazing and confusing even to doctors. It is just not an area in which we have sufficient training.

I attended a physical therapy convention in Anaheim about 2 years ago and spoke to Armin Zimmer, CEO of Zimmer Electromedizin of Germany. He displayed a computerized unit that literally had dozens of different currents programmed into his machine based on standardized protocols --- sort of 'idiot proofed' the process. Unfortunately he could not get the units into the US due to FDA restrictions. I kept in touch with him for about a year, hoping he would finally get FDA approval but that did not occur.
Ed

Valerie S on 6/16/02 at 22:34 (087762)

I read the first 'free' chapter... his theory is that if you learn to use the muscle in the arch of your foot properly, you won't have foot or lower leg pain. He is professing it as a preventative measure and a cure. He makes it sound though, like only people with flat feet have problems, and that if your arch is good, you won't have pain. Maybe I misread this, since my arch appears normal. I guess that doesn't mean that I am 'using it properly.' ...

Cost is $9.99 to download to your computer, or you can order the paperback sent to you for $15.99 + $4.50 shipping.

He says that arch supports and shoes with arch support are merely 'crutches' that weaken the muscles... hmmmm. How do I use my arches properly? He is not a doctor, but has an engineering background ...

I never would proclaim myself an expert, but I doubt his theory a little... I would be interested to hear if someone actually reads this book.

-Val.

john h on 6/17/02 at 07:00 (087776)

Valerie: Have you ever considred that Scott may have written this book under s psuedonym?

wendyn on 6/17/02 at 07:22 (087780)

Hmmmm = Scott this isn't yours is it???!??

Valerie S on 6/17/02 at 08:55 (087789)

Didn't think of that... I also can't think of anything witty to say back...

Mahatmelissama on 6/17/02 at 12:07 (087802)

(914) area code is S New York: Westchester County

this is not from Scott R...unless he hired somebody in NY to answer the
phone for him

JoAnn V on 6/17/02 at 12:55 (087803)

Has anyone bought the book? I would love to hear what your opinion is.

Re: How do YOU know Scott's area code?

Valerie S on 6/17/02 at 12:58 (087804)

hee hee... you have the right to remain silent (or just hang up... *wink wink*... ) ... kidding you, of course... unless!

Re: he lives in the south you silly goose! eom

Mahatmelissama on 6/17/02 at 13:47 (087811)

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/17/02 at 19:09 (087847)

Valerie:

There is some logic to his theory. One question I used to get from a lot of hardcore runners I used to treat as patients was about the elite runners from Kenya and other African nations that run barefoot.

Modern civilization has caused the intrinsic musculature of the foot, that is, the muscles that take origin and insertion within the soles of the foot to atrophy. Any medical student who paid good attention during cadaver lab can attest to the fact that the intrinsic musculature of the foot was atrophied and sometimes hard to identify.

Most of the intrinsic musculature of the foot runs parallel to the plantar fascia. As such, contracture of the intrinsic musculature dcreases plantar fascial tension. One of the exercises that we were taught in school to teach to patients in the good old days (1980's) was to stretch a towel out on the floor in front of the feet and repeatedly use one's toes to pull in and bunch up the towel. Most patients get a nasty cramp in their arch (the intrinsic muscles going into spasm) and quit the exercise in a few days go we basically forgot about it.

The Russians, during the bad old days (1980's when they were still the USSR and could perform interesting experiments on people) found that they could apply electrodes to the arch of the feet, vigorously (and painfully) cause the muscles in the sole to contract and enlarge and cure plantar fasciitis as a consequence. They used a current which now is still available on elctrotherapy machines termed 'Russian stimulation.' Therapists use the Russian stimulation current at a modest amplitude to prevent atrophy of muscles during cast immobilization.

Ed

john h on 6/18/02 at 09:55 (087897)

Dr. Ed: I still lay on my back and use a towell around my toes to stretch the feet and calves. I do not know how far up you can crank a tens unit but you can certainly get some attention with it on full power. I have one. Where would you suggest the electrodes be placed? Perhaps at the base of the hallux and where the fascia attaches to the heel? For how long? Until you cry 'uncle'?

Pamela S on 6/18/02 at 13:06 (087915)

I saw this exercise at one point on this site (somebody had been prescribed it by a physical therapist). It is completely non-weight-bearing. I tried it, and at first I got horrible cramping in the arch. However, I persisted, and after a while I could do it without the cramping.
From the descriptions above, I would guess this exercise gets the intrinsic muscles of the foot. Dr. Davis, maybe after trying this you could tell us which muscles this gets?

Either do this in bed, or sitting in a chair. Stretch your feet out in front of you. Point your toes as hard as you can. Next, angle the pointed toes in (bend the point of the toes in, towards each other, but keep them pointed). It's a good one! Of course, you'll want to stretch after this one.

RACHAEL T. on 6/18/02 at 13:56 (087922)

Many months ago, this exercise used to drive me crazy - but now it is done w/ ease....so for those of you that are getting spasms or having difficulty with this stretch, you can rest assured - go slowly & you will achieve it -- there is hope!

Valerie S on 6/18/02 at 22:37 (087972)

I will try it... I already know my feet are not going to like it at first, but I am also sure that my arches and feet in general are weak and pathetic. Since strengthening the intrinsic muscle, have you noticed any relief in your PF? Just wondering...

Thanks, and about to go try these right now,

-Val.

P.S: John, are you going to buy the book or what?

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/19/02 at 15:13 (088021)

John:

The TENs unit is a different type of current, designed primarily to interrupt nerve impulses carrying pain signals. The electroptherapy unit being used needs to be able to recruit muscle fibers, that is elicit a strong sustained muscular contraction beneath the elctrode.
Ed

Ed Davis., DPM on 6/19/02 at 15:14 (088022)

Pamela:

It sounds like this would work some of the intrinsics, perhaps the medial ones more.
Ed

paula on 6/19/02 at 16:05 (088031)

dr ed, here are the intrinsic exercises various pt s showed me. do you think people should try them without a pt overseeing them? i put something soft between toes and squeeze toes together. i pick up marbles, pens, towels with toes. i lean sides of foot against soemtinng as an isometric and hold. i pull a theraband against toes both up and down and side to side. i pull foot both up and down against a theraband. i rigged a homemade wobble board and use it for ankles. i roll a ball under arches. all very slowly very softely with no pain ever allowed. if i have the slightest pain later or next day i must wait till all pain goes away to start again. she is very very strickt about it and is always holding me back saying go gentler .do you think this is too much exercise? my feet are getting stronger with this regime.

john h on 6/19/02 at 18:40 (088042)

Valerie: I am currently reading 'War and Peace' so do not have time.

john h on 6/19/02 at 18:48 (088045)

Only two types of current Dr. Ed. AC and DC. Probably the tens is not as powerful as what you need. You can vary wave length and pulse rate with my TENS and it is strong enough to grab the muscles in a forceful manner. Many years ago they made a device they sold mostly to the ladies called a Relaxisizor. It was 110V AC and its purpose was to exercise the muscles while you layed down. I will guarantee you this baby could put out enough current/power to do anything to your muscles. I suspect it was finally outlawed as dangerous. My wife had one.

Pamela S on 6/19/02 at 19:51 (088055)

I would say it has helped, along with alot of other stuff I have been doing. I'm on the verge of cured (I can stand all day with no problems, walk, etc.). Most people on this board would consider me cured. My standard of 'really cured' is that I can do impact dancing for several hours on half-point without any problems at all. I haven't tried this yet.

If you're fighting weak foot muscles, in addition to this exercise get the Personal Foot Trainers - they are non-weight bearing, and you'll discover muscles in your feet you didn't know you had! When I got those, I was much more acute, and I definitely noticed an improvement in about a month. They are also totally non-weight bearing.

I have also been doing other weight-bearing exercises I got from runner's sites.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/22/02 at 12:05 (088293)

John:

There are a number of electrotherapy units that include a modality specifically labelled as 'Russian stimulation.' That is what needs to be used. The number of different currents used is amazing and confusing even to doctors. It is just not an area in which we have sufficient training.

I attended a physical therapy convention in Anaheim about 2 years ago and spoke to Armin Zimmer, CEO of Zimmer Electromedizin of Germany. He displayed a computerized unit that literally had dozens of different currents programmed into his machine based on standardized protocols --- sort of 'idiot proofed' the process. Unfortunately he could not get the units into the US due to FDA restrictions. I kept in touch with him for about a year, hoping he would finally get FDA approval but that did not occur.
Ed

joyceb on 2/24/06 at 09:45 (194087)

I used the one your wife probably had and it worked. I had 2 babies and my muscles were out of shape and I got a rock hard abd and worked on my waist too.