Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How much exercise is good?

Posted by Andrue on 6/17/02 at 04:28 (087769)

Yesterday I went out for a walk with friends and it lasted twenty minutes including up/down a few hills. Today my feet feel almost completely pain free, better than before the walk.

I know that soft tissue damage may not show up for a couple of days but it seems odd that my feet feel better than they have for several days. Can I take this as an indication that a twenty minute walk is good for my feet or is it possible for damaged tendons to be 'shocked into silence'?

I guess I'll find out tomorrow but I'm curious since everyone is telling me that my feet will benefit from some exercise. I wasn't expecting it to be /that/ beneficial.

Re: How much exercise is good?

Suzanne D on 6/17/02 at 06:18 (087770)

That is a good question, Andrue, and one that I cannot totally answer, but I will comment based on my experiences.

First, for me - but evidently not for many who post here - resting with my feet up for long periods of time seems to make me feel worse instead of better. My knees and calves feel stiffer, and it is more painful to walk, even though I stretch first. But, like I said, others have written that this benefits them greatly, so I am not saying I am 'typical'.

Second, for me it depends a great deal on where I walk. You mentioned up and down some hills, so I assume you were outdoors. Outdoor walking - if it is on grass or dirt paths in the woods - is much more beneficial exercise than walking on concrete and tile in a mall. I seem to benefit from the exercise outdoors, but if I push it too much walking indoors on anything but wood and carpet, then I find myself more often than not paying for it in the next few days.

There also appears to be a psychological benefit to walking outdoors with friends as you described. Getting out and doing something, laughing and having a good time, can make you feel better all over. It is greatly encouraging to think that, yes, you CAN still do some enjoyable things!

I guess it is mostly trial-and-error in determining what you can and cannot do. But I think it was John H. who wrote (I hope I am not misquoting) something to the effect that sometimes you have to give things a try and just see what happens. It can be worth taking a risk.

Of course stretching before you walk and stopping for a break whenever you feel you need it is important.

Good luck! I hope you continue to feel no ill effects from your walk!

Suzanne :-)

john h on 6/17/02 at 07:02 (087777)

Andrue I have on occasion found that a walk made my feet feel better for some unknown reasons and on occason I have found a walk made them worse. Go figure.

Andrue on 6/17/02 at 08:52 (087788)

I had begun to wonder if resting was not helping my feet. As a matter of interest do you have pain when first standing? I don't and none in the centre of my heel either. My pain seems to stem from inflammation and as long as I don't 'catch' the areas when walking I have no pain. I wonder if rest is most beneficial for those that do.

Perhaps those people are damaging their feet when they put wheight on them whereas we (?) are just aggravating inflammation. I wonder if walking can help reduce the inflamation and aid in recovery by moving fluid out of the feet.

As for the psychological boost - absolutely. It makes me realise that perhaps I can enjoy myself more without making the condition worse. That's not as good as complete recovery but a darn sight better than being cooped up indoors :)

Andrue on 6/17/02 at 08:56 (087790)

Well here's a theory (my own and with little or no medical backing):

My feet just have tender areas that don't like too much pressure (no worse after rest - pain is dependant on how recently and badly they got pressed). I wonder if that means I'm not usually damaging my feet when I walk. In that case walking wouldn't (I guess) make the situation worse but might help by driving out excess fluid and of course by the act of exercising them.

Valerie S on 6/17/02 at 08:57 (087791)

John ... maybe that link from Pauline is on to something after all... sometimes you are walking right and others not... ??? hmmm ???

Aren't you the one who will try anything and everything?

;)

Suzanne D on 6/17/02 at 10:46 (087798)

I do have pain when first standing - worse in the morning or after riding in the car for an extended period - but my pain is not too much in the heel area - more in the arch. It seems to me that if I don't keep moving to some extent, it gets worse, although too much walking (especially on hard surfaces) aggravates it.

Sometimes I feel that the more I learn about all this, the less I really understand! It truly can be a mysterious ailment, and many things such as exercise seem to be trial-and-error and very individual.

I wish for you continued improvement! I'm glad you got a boost from getting out with your friends.

R C on 6/17/02 at 13:31 (087809)

It is clear that the answer will be different from person to person, so I can only reflect on my own experiences.

I got PF in the right foot from moving heavy objects (along with being a runner) over a long weekend. It took over 2 years to become pain free. During this period I stopped running altogether because of the injury. However, I continued to walk the usual amount throughout the day (I even went on a honeymoon in Hawaii -- did a ton of walking). Walking and standing were both painful, and looking back I would have to say that both did more harm than good.

My pain went away only after 4 weeks of cast + crutches, then 4 weeks physical therapy + crutches, then several weeks where I taped the foot every waking minute (in effect, the tape 'rests' the plantar fascia by preventing the foot from elongating lengthwise under my weight). So, this seems to say that a loooong period of rest is the way to go, followed by gradually working the foot back into activity.

Even now I will tape my foot before activity such as moving furniture, air travel, shopping, etc., to prevent re-injury. For some people I suppose an effective orthotic serves this purpose, but I've never had luck with orthotics.

Nowadays I swim for exercise. This puts no pressure on my foot, gives excellent aerobic training, helped me to lose the 18 pounds I put on while recovering from my injury.

RC

john h on 6/17/02 at 14:11 (087814)

Valerie your post reminds me of an old 60's song that goes 'everybody's talking about a new way of walking'. What was the name of that and what group recorded it?

john h on 6/17/02 at 14:13 (087815)

R.C. your post makes sense but how do we account for some on the board who have been on the crutches for over a year and I think one or so in a wheelchair?

Kathy G on 6/17/02 at 15:07 (087817)

Hi John,

It was 'Walk right in' but I can't remember the name of the group. I believe it was one of those one-hit wonders or as I think about it, could it have been by the Seekers?

Too bad you're not closer, I could sing it for you! I remember all the words and everything! Oh my, if I remember all the words to a song I haven't heard for years but forget to defrost something for dinner (yes, I did) does it mean I'm getting old? Nah.....couldn't possibly be the case!

Re: my response to Andrue

Kathy G on 6/17/02 at 15:17 (087820)

Hi Andrue,

As I recall, you and I have many of the same symptoms. My feet don't hurt when I wake up in the morning but get worse as the day goes on. I also had little pain in my heels (compared to many folks here) and it only appeared when I brilliantly requested physical therapy. In the last 4 weeks (knock wood!), the pain in my heels has greatly diminished and I am feeling very optimistic about that aspect of PF. The burning in my arches is still very bad. I have decided that I will just have to learn to live with it because I don't know what else to do at this point. Any kind of standing really causes the pain to worsen and longterm standing is a killer.

As to the walking, you raise an interesting point. In the past, I have found tht walking for even 10 minutes on a padded treadmill was very painful. But I'm thinking of experimenting and seeing what happens if I try it again. I didn't do it today because I stood for over two hours and my arches and my calves hurt. I think I'll give it a try tomorrow. As Suzanne says, as tempting as it is to me to try walking outside, I know that the pavement is bad for my feet. I am really wondering if this is a good idea but as John says, you never know until you try. I sure hope the heel pain doesn't come back.

Keep us posted on how you make out. Isn't a great feeling to be able to go for a walk?

Good luck to you!

Valerie S on 6/17/02 at 15:47 (087823)

I wasn't born 'til 1970, but I'll see what I can find out for ya, sir... hee hee.

Re: Was it the Spotnicks?

Valerie S on 6/17/02 at 15:52 (087824)

'Walk Right In' by the Spotnicks? Could that be right? I find this on Kazaa when I look up Walk Right In. Or there is one called Rooftop singers, but I don't know if that is a band or what... Sorry, way before my time and way out of my league... have to let the old-timers figure this one out.

Andrue on 6/17/02 at 16:10 (087826)

It sounds like your PF was worse than mine's ever been. Mine made me limp for a while back in October but since then it's just been a nuisance. The only reason I've cut back on walking was on the assumption that it would help but after playing the 'couch potato' game for a couple of months I can't see any improvement and it might be worse.

If going back to taking evening walks around the block doesn't make things worse then I may as well resume. At least if I walk I'm helping keep the rest of my body fit :)

Andrue on 6/17/02 at 16:21 (087827)

Well do, please, be careful. One thing to consider is that my PF (or whatever) is the result of an injury. Everyone I've consulted says that my feet look quite normal structurally and my history of walking a lot (I used to think nothing of a twenty minute walk into town to do my shopping) and the fact I'm not overwheight must mean that my feet are well adapted to it (assuming my recent resting hasn't weakened them).

That would put me at a major advantage compared to someone who didn't walk much or who's PF came about because of a biomechanical innefficiency. My current hope is that by stressing the inflammation a little I may be able to persuade it to go away - perhaps persuade my feet that I need them after all :)

My Pod. and physio both suspect that the tissues are recovered (or well on the way) and that I just need to get rid of the inflammation.

Andrue on 6/17/02 at 16:25 (087828)

Another note:I forgot to say that it's now 30 hours since the walk and my feet still feel fine. They aren't quite as good as they were earlier in the day but that's not unusual. Even though I have a desk job my feet still get a bit achy at night. All the signs though are that no harm was done.

...and yes it is good to be able to go out for a walk, especially now that Summer has returned to the UK. Mind you on Thursday apparently we're getting some unpleasant weather that continental Europe is getting rid of. Cold. Wet. Windy. A typical British Summer :)

john h on 6/17/02 at 16:38 (087832)

Valerie: I think the big version was by the Rooftop Singers. That seems the way I remember it now that you have posted.

Valerie S on 6/17/02 at 16:43 (087834)

John... I also am right now listening to the Spotnicks singing it... 'everybody's talkin' 'bout a new way of walkin'... walk right in, sit right down. Baby let your hair hang down...' Guess I picked the wrong one, but must be the same song... you're good.

Thanks for sharing this ... you are the king of the board, you know that? (oops... except Scott, of course).

-Val.

Scott R on 6/17/02 at 16:50 (087835)

it's a little-known secret that i'm just one of john's minions. all my posts are at his bidding.

Re: I knew it...

Valerie S on 6/17/02 at 16:57 (087837)

Did he come to you wearing a big black mask, saying 'Scott, I am your father...' ?? Oh wait, I'm thinking of someone else now.

Oh here comes John, bow to the king :>

john h on 6/17/02 at 18:46 (087843)

ok i found where you can play a clip of the 'Walk Right In' by the Rooftop Singers. Go to http://www.allbutforgottenoldes.net/rooftop-singers.html
if you want to see the lyrics only go to:
wwww.execpc.com/~suden/rooft.html

john h on 6/17/02 at 18:50 (087844)

as usual I cannot spell correctly: http://allbutforgottenoldies.net/rooftop-singers.html

Re: John ... you are awesome

Valerie S on 6/17/02 at 22:06 (087862)

Maybe you can't spell, but you sure can boogie... hee hee... you rock, John. I listened, and I guess I HAVE heard that one on the oldies station before.

'Bad Spellers of the World... UNTIE!!' (saw that on a sign once...)

and another time, my dad put up a sign on the fridge...

'All dishes must be done right after super.'

hee hee... ?? ... He did not think it was funny when we pointed out his mistake though, and I still don't know why. ... ???

Kathy G on 6/18/02 at 08:57 (087886)

Not only was it the Rooftop Singers but I have had that stupid song stuck in my head since I posted about it last evening!

Now Valerie, about that comment about 'old timers'.....you must old-time contributors to the Boards not old timers in the sense that you think we're OLD!! Right???

And you're right, when I recently did a search under john h, I discovered that he is, indeed, one of the kings of the Board!

john h on 6/18/02 at 17:04 (087931)

Kathy: I have been hummmmmmming that song all day myself.

Suzanne D on 6/17/02 at 06:18 (087770)

That is a good question, Andrue, and one that I cannot totally answer, but I will comment based on my experiences.

First, for me - but evidently not for many who post here - resting with my feet up for long periods of time seems to make me feel worse instead of better. My knees and calves feel stiffer, and it is more painful to walk, even though I stretch first. But, like I said, others have written that this benefits them greatly, so I am not saying I am 'typical'.

Second, for me it depends a great deal on where I walk. You mentioned up and down some hills, so I assume you were outdoors. Outdoor walking - if it is on grass or dirt paths in the woods - is much more beneficial exercise than walking on concrete and tile in a mall. I seem to benefit from the exercise outdoors, but if I push it too much walking indoors on anything but wood and carpet, then I find myself more often than not paying for it in the next few days.

There also appears to be a psychological benefit to walking outdoors with friends as you described. Getting out and doing something, laughing and having a good time, can make you feel better all over. It is greatly encouraging to think that, yes, you CAN still do some enjoyable things!

I guess it is mostly trial-and-error in determining what you can and cannot do. But I think it was John H. who wrote (I hope I am not misquoting) something to the effect that sometimes you have to give things a try and just see what happens. It can be worth taking a risk.

Of course stretching before you walk and stopping for a break whenever you feel you need it is important.

Good luck! I hope you continue to feel no ill effects from your walk!

john h on 6/17/02 at 07:02 (087777)

Andrue I have on occasion found that a walk made my feet feel better for some unknown reasons and on occason I have found a walk made them worse. Go figure.

Andrue on 6/17/02 at 08:52 (087788)

I had begun to wonder if resting was not helping my feet. As a matter of interest do you have pain when first standing? I don't and none in the centre of my heel either. My pain seems to stem from inflammation and as long as I don't 'catch' the areas when walking I have no pain. I wonder if rest is most beneficial for those that do.

Perhaps those people are damaging their feet when they put wheight on them whereas we (?) are just aggravating inflammation. I wonder if walking can help reduce the inflamation and aid in recovery by moving fluid out of the feet.

As for the psychological boost - absolutely. It makes me realise that perhaps I can enjoy myself more without making the condition worse. That's not as good as complete recovery but a darn sight better than being cooped up indoors :)

Andrue on 6/17/02 at 08:56 (087790)

Well here's a theory (my own and with little or no medical backing):

My feet just have tender areas that don't like too much pressure (no worse after rest - pain is dependant on how recently and badly they got pressed). I wonder if that means I'm not usually damaging my feet when I walk. In that case walking wouldn't (I guess) make the situation worse but might help by driving out excess fluid and of course by the act of exercising them.

Valerie S on 6/17/02 at 08:57 (087791)

John ... maybe that link from Pauline is on to something after all... sometimes you are walking right and others not... ??? hmmm ???

Aren't you the one who will try anything and everything?

;)

Suzanne D on 6/17/02 at 10:46 (087798)

I do have pain when first standing - worse in the morning or after riding in the car for an extended period - but my pain is not too much in the heel area - more in the arch. It seems to me that if I don't keep moving to some extent, it gets worse, although too much walking (especially on hard surfaces) aggravates it.

Sometimes I feel that the more I learn about all this, the less I really understand! It truly can be a mysterious ailment, and many things such as exercise seem to be trial-and-error and very individual.

I wish for you continued improvement! I'm glad you got a boost from getting out with your friends.

R C on 6/17/02 at 13:31 (087809)

It is clear that the answer will be different from person to person, so I can only reflect on my own experiences.

I got PF in the right foot from moving heavy objects (along with being a runner) over a long weekend. It took over 2 years to become pain free. During this period I stopped running altogether because of the injury. However, I continued to walk the usual amount throughout the day (I even went on a honeymoon in Hawaii -- did a ton of walking). Walking and standing were both painful, and looking back I would have to say that both did more harm than good.

My pain went away only after 4 weeks of cast + crutches, then 4 weeks physical therapy + crutches, then several weeks where I taped the foot every waking minute (in effect, the tape 'rests' the plantar fascia by preventing the foot from elongating lengthwise under my weight). So, this seems to say that a loooong period of rest is the way to go, followed by gradually working the foot back into activity.

Even now I will tape my foot before activity such as moving furniture, air travel, shopping, etc., to prevent re-injury. For some people I suppose an effective orthotic serves this purpose, but I've never had luck with orthotics.

Nowadays I swim for exercise. This puts no pressure on my foot, gives excellent aerobic training, helped me to lose the 18 pounds I put on while recovering from my injury.

RC

john h on 6/17/02 at 14:11 (087814)

Valerie your post reminds me of an old 60's song that goes 'everybody's talking about a new way of walking'. What was the name of that and what group recorded it?

john h on 6/17/02 at 14:13 (087815)

R.C. your post makes sense but how do we account for some on the board who have been on the crutches for over a year and I think one or so in a wheelchair?

Kathy G on 6/17/02 at 15:07 (087817)

Hi John,

It was 'Walk right in' but I can't remember the name of the group. I believe it was one of those one-hit wonders or as I think about it, could it have been by the Seekers?

Too bad you're not closer, I could sing it for you! I remember all the words and everything! Oh my, if I remember all the words to a song I haven't heard for years but forget to defrost something for dinner (yes, I did) does it mean I'm getting old? Nah.....couldn't possibly be the case!

Kathy G on 6/17/02 at 15:17 (087820)

Hi Andrue,

As I recall, you and I have many of the same symptoms. My feet don't hurt when I wake up in the morning but get worse as the day goes on. I also had little pain in my heels (compared to many folks here) and it only appeared when I brilliantly requested physical therapy. In the last 4 weeks (knock wood!), the pain in my heels has greatly diminished and I am feeling very optimistic about that aspect of PF. The burning in my arches is still very bad. I have decided that I will just have to learn to live with it because I don't know what else to do at this point. Any kind of standing really causes the pain to worsen and longterm standing is a killer.

As to the walking, you raise an interesting point. In the past, I have found tht walking for even 10 minutes on a padded treadmill was very painful. But I'm thinking of experimenting and seeing what happens if I try it again. I didn't do it today because I stood for over two hours and my arches and my calves hurt. I think I'll give it a try tomorrow. As Suzanne says, as tempting as it is to me to try walking outside, I know that the pavement is bad for my feet. I am really wondering if this is a good idea but as John says, you never know until you try. I sure hope the heel pain doesn't come back.

Keep us posted on how you make out. Isn't a great feeling to be able to go for a walk?

Good luck to you!

Valerie S on 6/17/02 at 15:47 (087823)

I wasn't born 'til 1970, but I'll see what I can find out for ya, sir... hee hee.

Valerie S on 6/17/02 at 15:52 (087824)

'Walk Right In' by the Spotnicks? Could that be right? I find this on Kazaa when I look up Walk Right In. Or there is one called Rooftop singers, but I don't know if that is a band or what... Sorry, way before my time and way out of my league... have to let the old-timers figure this one out.

Andrue on 6/17/02 at 16:10 (087826)

It sounds like your PF was worse than mine's ever been. Mine made me limp for a while back in October but since then it's just been a nuisance. The only reason I've cut back on walking was on the assumption that it would help but after playing the 'couch potato' game for a couple of months I can't see any improvement and it might be worse.

If going back to taking evening walks around the block doesn't make things worse then I may as well resume. At least if I walk I'm helping keep the rest of my body fit :)

Andrue on 6/17/02 at 16:21 (087827)

Well do, please, be careful. One thing to consider is that my PF (or whatever) is the result of an injury. Everyone I've consulted says that my feet look quite normal structurally and my history of walking a lot (I used to think nothing of a twenty minute walk into town to do my shopping) and the fact I'm not overwheight must mean that my feet are well adapted to it (assuming my recent resting hasn't weakened them).

That would put me at a major advantage compared to someone who didn't walk much or who's PF came about because of a biomechanical innefficiency. My current hope is that by stressing the inflammation a little I may be able to persuade it to go away - perhaps persuade my feet that I need them after all :)

My Pod. and physio both suspect that the tissues are recovered (or well on the way) and that I just need to get rid of the inflammation.

Andrue on 6/17/02 at 16:25 (087828)

Another note:I forgot to say that it's now 30 hours since the walk and my feet still feel fine. They aren't quite as good as they were earlier in the day but that's not unusual. Even though I have a desk job my feet still get a bit achy at night. All the signs though are that no harm was done.

...and yes it is good to be able to go out for a walk, especially now that Summer has returned to the UK. Mind you on Thursday apparently we're getting some unpleasant weather that continental Europe is getting rid of. Cold. Wet. Windy. A typical British Summer :)

john h on 6/17/02 at 16:38 (087832)

Valerie: I think the big version was by the Rooftop Singers. That seems the way I remember it now that you have posted.

Valerie S on 6/17/02 at 16:43 (087834)

John... I also am right now listening to the Spotnicks singing it... 'everybody's talkin' 'bout a new way of walkin'... walk right in, sit right down. Baby let your hair hang down...' Guess I picked the wrong one, but must be the same song... you're good.

Thanks for sharing this ... you are the king of the board, you know that? (oops... except Scott, of course).

-Val.

Scott R on 6/17/02 at 16:50 (087835)

it's a little-known secret that i'm just one of john's minions. all my posts are at his bidding.

Valerie S on 6/17/02 at 16:57 (087837)

Did he come to you wearing a big black mask, saying 'Scott, I am your father...' ?? Oh wait, I'm thinking of someone else now.

Oh here comes John, bow to the king :>

john h on 6/17/02 at 18:46 (087843)

ok i found where you can play a clip of the 'Walk Right In' by the Rooftop Singers. Go to http://www.allbutforgottenoldes.net/rooftop-singers.html
if you want to see the lyrics only go to:
wwww.execpc.com/~suden/rooft.html

john h on 6/17/02 at 18:50 (087844)

as usual I cannot spell correctly: http://allbutforgottenoldies.net/rooftop-singers.html

Re: John ... you are awesome

Valerie S on 6/17/02 at 22:06 (087862)

Maybe you can't spell, but you sure can boogie... hee hee... you rock, John. I listened, and I guess I HAVE heard that one on the oldies station before.

'Bad Spellers of the World... UNTIE!!' (saw that on a sign once...)

and another time, my dad put up a sign on the fridge...

'All dishes must be done right after super.'

hee hee... ?? ... He did not think it was funny when we pointed out his mistake though, and I still don't know why. ... ???

Kathy G on 6/18/02 at 08:57 (087886)

Not only was it the Rooftop Singers but I have had that stupid song stuck in my head since I posted about it last evening!

Now Valerie, about that comment about 'old timers'.....you must old-time contributors to the Boards not old timers in the sense that you think we're OLD!! Right???

And you're right, when I recently did a search under john h, I discovered that he is, indeed, one of the kings of the Board!

john h on 6/18/02 at 17:04 (087931)

Kathy: I have been hummmmmmming that song all day myself.