Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Kay

Posted by Tonya on 6/17/02 at 06:48 (087775)

Just wanted to say good luck tommorow. I'm heading out of town, but will be thinking of you. I hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

Re: Kay

kay on 6/17/02 at 13:11 (087806)

thanks tonya i appreiciate the thoughts. and i'd like to say good luck to carmon for tomorrow is her surgery too. i am nervous but looking forward to it at the same time. does that make since? lol

kay

Sharon W on 6/17/02 at 13:48 (087812)

Kay,

That makes perfect sense to ME! Now that my pod and I have FINALLY made the decision for surgery next month, I can't WAIT to get it over with!!!

-- Sharon

Missy B on 6/17/02 at 17:06 (087838)

Kay,
I am 21 weeks post PF/TT surgery and still taking a conservative approach to my recuperation. I was off my job for nine weeks - my foot was in a cam walker for 5 of those weeks and I got around with the aid of a regular walker or crutches. I kept off the foot as much as possible during those first few weeks - even doing my dishes while seated on a stool. At six weeks I could comfortably put my foot into a shoe and then I started to spend a little more time on my foot and made some very short trips to the market. At eight weeks, I started physical therapy 3 times a week for 4 weeks. This did help restore the flexibility to my foot and strengthen my leg muscles. When I returned to work at 9 weeks, it was for four hours a day for the first two weeks because my job requires me to stand almost all of my shift.
For the first month that I was back to work, I would come home immediately and put my foot up for a few hours - sometimes icing it or soaking it in cold water too. I limited any amount of time I spent on my foot in the evenings to absolutely necessary errands. When 4 months rolled around, I was doing some limited exercising at a local place called Curves for Women. And at 19 weeks, I was back riding my horses a few times a week, shopping for a few hours at a time, and trying to catch up on my house cleaning. At this point I considered myself 80% better than before my surgery.
Last week I got my new custom made orthotics. I am still experiencing some residual PF soreness, although the pain from the tarsal tunnel entrapment has not returned at all. My pod hopes that the orthotics will reduce the soreness I still experience. I still wear my night splint and do the exercises at home that they taught me in physical therapy. After one week with the orthotics, I can see slight improvement, so I am very encouraged that in a few more weeks, I may be 90%+ improved.
The only advice I can offer comes from my personal experience. First and foremost, LISTEN to your foot every single day - it will be the best indicator of how you are doing. Follow your doctors instructions, but if you feel he is rushing you, LET HIM KNOW. We all heal differently - I was lucky to have a very conservative pod, who favors a slow approach to recuperation. Keep OFF the foot as much as possible in the first few weeks or even first few months. Once your foot begins to feel better, you may be tempted to overdo it - please take care! If there was one message I received from other patients who have successfully recuperated - it was REST and more REST. Trying to do too much too soon can lead to worse consequences. I am still spending several hours (besides sleep time) each day with my foot up. I carefully plan my activites so as not to stress the foot - and if I have to sit out most of the summer, I am more than willing to do so, in the hopes that I will be pain free next year at this time.
I wish you all the best with your surgery tomorrow - you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted as to your progress, and feel free to ask me any questions you might have as to what I have experienced during my recuperation time. If I can be of any help to you, please ask.
Good Luck!!!!
Missy B.

kay f on 6/17/02 at 21:16 (087859)

missy that is some great information and i thank you for it. my doc is saying at least the first three weeks on crutches with no use at all. i just found out i'm not to be there until 11:30 am. with no food or drink after midnight i think i'll be dying for coffee or water at least. i wish it were earlier but i'll live. i'll be back to let you all know how it went.
kay

kay on 6/17/02 at 13:11 (087806)

thanks tonya i appreiciate the thoughts. and i'd like to say good luck to carmon for tomorrow is her surgery too. i am nervous but looking forward to it at the same time. does that make since? lol

kay

Sharon W on 6/17/02 at 13:48 (087812)

Kay,

That makes perfect sense to ME! Now that my pod and I have FINALLY made the decision for surgery next month, I can't WAIT to get it over with!!!

-- Sharon

Missy B on 6/17/02 at 17:06 (087838)

Kay,
I am 21 weeks post PF/TT surgery and still taking a conservative approach to my recuperation. I was off my job for nine weeks - my foot was in a cam walker for 5 of those weeks and I got around with the aid of a regular walker or crutches. I kept off the foot as much as possible during those first few weeks - even doing my dishes while seated on a stool. At six weeks I could comfortably put my foot into a shoe and then I started to spend a little more time on my foot and made some very short trips to the market. At eight weeks, I started physical therapy 3 times a week for 4 weeks. This did help restore the flexibility to my foot and strengthen my leg muscles. When I returned to work at 9 weeks, it was for four hours a day for the first two weeks because my job requires me to stand almost all of my shift.
For the first month that I was back to work, I would come home immediately and put my foot up for a few hours - sometimes icing it or soaking it in cold water too. I limited any amount of time I spent on my foot in the evenings to absolutely necessary errands. When 4 months rolled around, I was doing some limited exercising at a local place called Curves for Women. And at 19 weeks, I was back riding my horses a few times a week, shopping for a few hours at a time, and trying to catch up on my house cleaning. At this point I considered myself 80% better than before my surgery.
Last week I got my new custom made orthotics. I am still experiencing some residual PF soreness, although the pain from the tarsal tunnel entrapment has not returned at all. My pod hopes that the orthotics will reduce the soreness I still experience. I still wear my night splint and do the exercises at home that they taught me in physical therapy. After one week with the orthotics, I can see slight improvement, so I am very encouraged that in a few more weeks, I may be 90%+ improved.
The only advice I can offer comes from my personal experience. First and foremost, LISTEN to your foot every single day - it will be the best indicator of how you are doing. Follow your doctors instructions, but if you feel he is rushing you, LET HIM KNOW. We all heal differently - I was lucky to have a very conservative pod, who favors a slow approach to recuperation. Keep OFF the foot as much as possible in the first few weeks or even first few months. Once your foot begins to feel better, you may be tempted to overdo it - please take care! If there was one message I received from other patients who have successfully recuperated - it was REST and more REST. Trying to do too much too soon can lead to worse consequences. I am still spending several hours (besides sleep time) each day with my foot up. I carefully plan my activites so as not to stress the foot - and if I have to sit out most of the summer, I am more than willing to do so, in the hopes that I will be pain free next year at this time.
I wish you all the best with your surgery tomorrow - you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted as to your progress, and feel free to ask me any questions you might have as to what I have experienced during my recuperation time. If I can be of any help to you, please ask.
Good Luck!!!!
Missy B.

kay f on 6/17/02 at 21:16 (087859)

missy that is some great information and i thank you for it. my doc is saying at least the first three weeks on crutches with no use at all. i just found out i'm not to be there until 11:30 am. with no food or drink after midnight i think i'll be dying for coffee or water at least. i wish it were earlier but i'll live. i'll be back to let you all know how it went.
kay