Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Treatment when location of irritation is on the back of heel

Posted by Brian K on 6/17/02 at 11:14 (087800)

Hi, My pain seems to be derived from irritation when my shoes or sneakers rub against the back of my heel. I then get the typical pain that is described when I stand up first thing in the morning and after sitting for a while.When the irritation goes away (from staying off my feet for long periods) I am relieved of regualr pain but can not do any sports because as soon as I do anything that is active I get the irritation and the pain back. Does this sound like plantart fasciitis? It seems like the descriptions of that problem are more localized under the foot in the arch rather than on the back of the heel. Does the bone in the back of the heel grow with age causing enough protrusion that causes irritation with any activity? Look forward to any suggestions...Thanks

Re: Treatment when location of irritation is on the back of heel

michelene r on 6/17/02 at 18:56 (087846)

I am taking shots in the heel, and they are still sore after medicine ands
shots, I can barely walk on them, at any distance.
the bone on top of my foot is sore.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/17/02 at 19:55 (087852)

Hi Brian:

It sounds like you r describing a Haglands deformity. It is on the back of the bakc of the heel and rubs in the shoe. It creates pain in the achilles. Padding and dispersing pressur off the bone spur helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

michelene r on 6/17/02 at 18:56 (087846)

I am taking shots in the heel, and they are still sore after medicine ands
shots, I can barely walk on them, at any distance.
the bone on top of my foot is sore.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/17/02 at 19:55 (087852)

Hi Brian:

It sounds like you r describing a Haglands deformity. It is on the back of the bakc of the heel and rubs in the shoe. It creates pain in the achilles. Padding and dispersing pressur off the bone spur helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli