Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

growing heels

Posted by paula kelly on 6/18/02 at 00:33 (087865)

I have a protrution on the back of my heel, on the back of my foot,below the achilles tendon. Could it be heel sprurs or PF? I work many hours on a hard floor without mats. Could this be the cause of my protrusion. The pain is on my heel and wraps around the outside of my foot, going up my leg or down my foot. My protrusions seem to be growing in size! I also have had severe back pain for the last 1 1/2 {think sciatica }. I can't go to the doctors for a couple of weeks, so I want to know if I could be making my foot/back worse by working. At the end of the day it's pretty crippling. Thanks pk

Re: growing heels

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/18/02 at 05:00 (087871)

Hi Paula:

It sounds like a Hagland's deformity. They are on the back of the heel and are also called pump bumps. The rub against the shoe causing pain. Try paddin aroud the protrusion to take pressure of the bone. Also try open back shoes and see if it feels better.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: growing heels

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/18/02 at 05:00 (087871)

Hi Paula:

It sounds like a Hagland's deformity. They are on the back of the heel and are also called pump bumps. The rub against the shoe causing pain. Try paddin aroud the protrusion to take pressure of the bone. Also try open back shoes and see if it feels better.

Dr. John Cozzarelli