Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Broken Navicular

Posted by tracy s. on 6/18/02 at 01:45 (087866)

I twisted my ankle 7 years ago and never had it x-rayed. Every morning and after long walks or jogs I have tremendous pain in my arch. The podiatrist x-rayed it and said I have a broken navicular. He recommends an orthotic or surgery. What do you recommend?

If surgery: How long is the healing process after surgery and what does it involve?
If orthotic: Where can I get the most inexpensive one made since insurance doesn't cover it?

Re: Broken Navicular

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/18/02 at 04:58 (087870)

Hi Tracy:

Sometimes the navicular can have an accessory bone which can appear as a fracture. I would ask if an MRI can be taken to see if youtore the tibialis posterior tendon. I understand that you would like the cheapest orthotic but that is going to set the stage to fail and you will then want surgery. Take two steps backwards and get the MRI fist.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: Broken Navicular

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 6/18/02 at 04:58 (087870)

Hi Tracy:

Sometimes the navicular can have an accessory bone which can appear as a fracture. I would ask if an MRI can be taken to see if youtore the tibialis posterior tendon. I understand that you would like the cheapest orthotic but that is going to set the stage to fail and you will then want surgery. Take two steps backwards and get the MRI fist.

Dr. John Cozzarelli