Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Congratulation U.S.A. beating Mexico 2 - 0

Posted by Rachel W. on 6/18/02 at 05:43 (087873)

I know there are mostly Americans on this website so I thought I'd congratulate you all for the last game with Mexico. I'm from England if you didn't know.
I have never been on this message board. I usually go into 'Ask the Doctors questions'.
this seems more like if you just want to chat or whinge or just talk to other people that are in the same boat. I think I'll come on this one a bit more often. You'll probably never get rid of me now.

Rachel.

Re: Congratulation U.S.A. beating Mexico 2 - 0

Sharon W on 6/18/02 at 10:38 (087902)

Rachel,

Do you mean in football? (As you can see, I am not really a sports fan... and don't follow this particular sport. The sport called 'football' elsewhere in the world is of course called 'soccer' here -- and I fear it is not one of the sports most emphasized in this country...)

So how about it, all you soccer fans out there: was it a good game?

-- Sharon

Rachel W. on 6/18/02 at 12:30 (087908)

It's the World cup. Aren't you all excited about it? Don't any of you care? Or is it just your team that are playing that care?
All of England comes to a standstill when we play.

Re: I'm sorry that I'm getting off the subject of feet

Rachel W. on 6/18/02 at 12:36 (087909)

Sorry, I got a bit carried away about the Football. Takes my mind off my problem with my feet. You have to carry on with everything else, don't you?
otherwise you'd go insane. I probably already am.

Sharon W on 6/18/02 at 12:44 (087910)

Rachel,

This is the 'Social' page, and other subjects besides feet are quite appropriate here. When I lived outside of the U.S.A. I was always at least SOMEWHAT aware of the big events in world football (like the World Cup) because or course it was what EVERYONE was talking about. But personally, I really am NOT a sports fan, except for olympic skating and gymnastics, and now that I am back in the U.S. I don't follow world football anymore.

That DOESN'T mean that there are no U.S. fans on this board; it is a 'dead' time for messages right now and they probably haven't even seen your post!

-- Sharon

Rachel W. on 6/18/02 at 13:05 (087914)

Was being light hearted.

Re: Nothing wrong with being light hearted!

Sharon W on 6/18/02 at 13:50 (087920)

Rachel,

Nothing wrong with being light hearted!!! One sees posts here about sports, about favorite songs or TV programs, about people's love lives... almost ANYTHING! And it can be jolly good FUN, sometimes...

-- Sharon

nancy s. on 6/18/02 at 16:53 (087930)

rachel, i'm a baseball fan -- boston red sox. that's all i pay attention to. please wish us luck for tonight, as i watch with my wine and cheese. thanks!
nancy

Kathy G on 6/18/02 at 20:14 (087947)

Welcome to the Social/Support Boards, Rachel! We love to chat about all kinds of things, many of which have nothing to do with feet. Although of course, soccer does have something to do with feet, doesn't it?

I must admit, try as I might, I just can't get excited about the World Cup. I guess I'm just too much of an (American) football fan. Now that, I'll watch any time of the day or night. And when the team I follow the most closely, the New England Patriots, are on, well, everything gets put on hold!

My twenty-eight-year-old son loves sports of all kinds and he has been following soccer for years now. He and his roommates got up early on Sunday morning so that they could go to a local pub to watch the Ireland/Mexico (it may not even have been Mexico, but I know it was Ireland) game. It was the game that ended in overtime with a sudden-death shoot-out. He had a wonderful time. He tries and tries to get me to watch it but I just find my little mind wanders! The only time I really watched soccer was back in the days when he played it, from elementary school until middle school. My husband even was assistant coach.

Many people think that because of all the attention being paid to the World Cup this year in the US, that soccer (which we will probably always call it over here) will experience a huge surge of popularity. It will be interesting to see if that happens.

Nice hearing from you. Do post again!

Missy B on 6/18/02 at 20:16 (087948)

Hi Rachel,
Welcome to the Social/Support board. Yes, it is true that almost any subject may come up for comment here - sometimes we need to talk about something other than our aching feet; sometimes we need to vent our frustration over finding help for our pain; and sometimes we just want to lend support to others. Being light-hearted and thoughtful is always a good thing.
Although I am an equestrian, I am aware of how well the U.S. soccer team is doing - thank you for offering us congratulations. And having toured the British Isles, I know how you all love the game.
Please feel free to join us here on this board. Many of us come here for the warmth of an email hug, or smile or cheer, or an arm around our shoulders - personal support a little different from the technical support on the other boards. But you can also find messages and questions that are technical in nature here and reports on our pre and post surgical progress.
Missy B.

Re: Thanks all of you

Rachel W. on 6/19/02 at 05:23 (087977)

Thankyou all for your warm welcome.

Kathy, I watched the Ireland game on Sunday. They played Spain. It was very intense towards the end. I was on the edge of my seat. I couldn't watch when they did the penalty shoots at the end.
England are playing on Friday and we can watch it live but its at 7.30 am over here. We had letters from our sons' school saying that the pupils are aloud to go in at 7.30 to watch the game in the assembly halls and are providing breakfasts for them or they are aloud to watch the game at home and go in late for 9.45am. We are mad for it here.

Re: Nancy, any luck?

Rachel W. on 6/19/02 at 05:28 (087978)

Nancy,

Sorry, I got your message too late I think to wish you luck. How did they do anyway?

Rachel.

Suzanne D on 6/19/02 at 07:59 (087984)

Yes, welcome, Rachel. It can be very nice to come here and enjoy talking about feet or other things with people who understand! And 'meeting' others from different places is so interesting.

I'm from KY in the USA where I live in a rural area about 15 miles from the nearest town. I teach 1st grade (which I tend to talk about a lot!) and am on summer break right now.

I'm not a big sports fan although I am interested. My daughters (21 and 16) have always been quite active in band, chorus, drama, dancing, so my attention has gone in that direction through the years.

I found it interesting to read about the children being served breakfast at school if they came early to watch the game or allowed to come after it was over!

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

nancy s. on 6/19/02 at 10:11 (087997)

thanks rachel, the red sox won -- yay. of course, truth be told, i kept falling asleep every couple of innings (the game was played in san diego, so it started 10:05 p.m. my time in maine). i had to get on the computer about 1:30 a.m. and go to their website to find out if they'd held on to their 4 to 2 lead, which they had.

it's maddening to miss the end, though, especially when they win and especially when you've stayed up half the night to watch! of course, when they lose, that's another story....

the life of a red sox fan is a real roller coaster ride. i can't believe i let the bug bite me, but i did, years ago. still waiting for them to win their first world series since 1918! they come SO close sometimes.

nancy

Rachel W. on 6/20/02 at 04:02 (088080)

Nancy,

Well done. Wish us luck when England play Brazil on Friday. I think we need it with Brazil.

Rachel.

Rachel W. on 6/20/02 at 04:11 (088081)

Suzanne,

Thanks for the welcome. I live in a town called Watford, about half an hours drive from London. I have five children (all boys) eldest is nearly 14 and the youngest is 3. My stepson also lives with us who is 23 and in a band. He hopes to be famous one day.

I've started making the older ones do a bit more around the house as I have a bit of trouble with my feet being painful. I should have made them do it before anyway, they can be so lazy. I have to keep nagging them just to keep there bedroom tidy. My husband is good though. He does a lot for me.

Anyway, nice to speak to you.

Rachel.

Sharon W on 6/18/02 at 10:38 (087902)

Rachel,

Do you mean in football? (As you can see, I am not really a sports fan... and don't follow this particular sport. The sport called 'football' elsewhere in the world is of course called 'soccer' here -- and I fear it is not one of the sports most emphasized in this country...)

So how about it, all you soccer fans out there: was it a good game?

-- Sharon

Rachel W. on 6/18/02 at 12:30 (087908)

It's the World cup. Aren't you all excited about it? Don't any of you care? Or is it just your team that are playing that care?
All of England comes to a standstill when we play.

Rachel W. on 6/18/02 at 12:36 (087909)

Sorry, I got a bit carried away about the Football. Takes my mind off my problem with my feet. You have to carry on with everything else, don't you?
otherwise you'd go insane. I probably already am.

Sharon W on 6/18/02 at 12:44 (087910)

Rachel,

This is the 'Social' page, and other subjects besides feet are quite appropriate here. When I lived outside of the U.S.A. I was always at least SOMEWHAT aware of the big events in world football (like the World Cup) because or course it was what EVERYONE was talking about. But personally, I really am NOT a sports fan, except for olympic skating and gymnastics, and now that I am back in the U.S. I don't follow world football anymore.

That DOESN'T mean that there are no U.S. fans on this board; it is a 'dead' time for messages right now and they probably haven't even seen your post!

-- Sharon

Rachel W. on 6/18/02 at 13:05 (087914)

Was being light hearted.

Re: Nothing wrong with being light hearted!

Sharon W on 6/18/02 at 13:50 (087920)

Rachel,

Nothing wrong with being light hearted!!! One sees posts here about sports, about favorite songs or TV programs, about people's love lives... almost ANYTHING! And it can be jolly good FUN, sometimes...

-- Sharon

nancy s. on 6/18/02 at 16:53 (087930)

rachel, i'm a baseball fan -- boston red sox. that's all i pay attention to. please wish us luck for tonight, as i watch with my wine and cheese. thanks!
nancy

Kathy G on 6/18/02 at 20:14 (087947)

Welcome to the Social/Support Boards, Rachel! We love to chat about all kinds of things, many of which have nothing to do with feet. Although of course, soccer does have something to do with feet, doesn't it?

I must admit, try as I might, I just can't get excited about the World Cup. I guess I'm just too much of an (American) football fan. Now that, I'll watch any time of the day or night. And when the team I follow the most closely, the New England Patriots, are on, well, everything gets put on hold!

My twenty-eight-year-old son loves sports of all kinds and he has been following soccer for years now. He and his roommates got up early on Sunday morning so that they could go to a local pub to watch the Ireland/Mexico (it may not even have been Mexico, but I know it was Ireland) game. It was the game that ended in overtime with a sudden-death shoot-out. He had a wonderful time. He tries and tries to get me to watch it but I just find my little mind wanders! The only time I really watched soccer was back in the days when he played it, from elementary school until middle school. My husband even was assistant coach.

Many people think that because of all the attention being paid to the World Cup this year in the US, that soccer (which we will probably always call it over here) will experience a huge surge of popularity. It will be interesting to see if that happens.

Nice hearing from you. Do post again!

Missy B on 6/18/02 at 20:16 (087948)

Hi Rachel,
Welcome to the Social/Support board. Yes, it is true that almost any subject may come up for comment here - sometimes we need to talk about something other than our aching feet; sometimes we need to vent our frustration over finding help for our pain; and sometimes we just want to lend support to others. Being light-hearted and thoughtful is always a good thing.
Although I am an equestrian, I am aware of how well the U.S. soccer team is doing - thank you for offering us congratulations. And having toured the British Isles, I know how you all love the game.
Please feel free to join us here on this board. Many of us come here for the warmth of an email hug, or smile or cheer, or an arm around our shoulders - personal support a little different from the technical support on the other boards. But you can also find messages and questions that are technical in nature here and reports on our pre and post surgical progress.
Missy B.

Re: Thanks all of you

Rachel W. on 6/19/02 at 05:23 (087977)

Thankyou all for your warm welcome.

Kathy, I watched the Ireland game on Sunday. They played Spain. It was very intense towards the end. I was on the edge of my seat. I couldn't watch when they did the penalty shoots at the end.
England are playing on Friday and we can watch it live but its at 7.30 am over here. We had letters from our sons' school saying that the pupils are aloud to go in at 7.30 to watch the game in the assembly halls and are providing breakfasts for them or they are aloud to watch the game at home and go in late for 9.45am. We are mad for it here.

Rachel W. on 6/19/02 at 05:28 (087978)

Nancy,

Sorry, I got your message too late I think to wish you luck. How did they do anyway?

Rachel.

Suzanne D on 6/19/02 at 07:59 (087984)

Yes, welcome, Rachel. It can be very nice to come here and enjoy talking about feet or other things with people who understand! And 'meeting' others from different places is so interesting.

I'm from KY in the USA where I live in a rural area about 15 miles from the nearest town. I teach 1st grade (which I tend to talk about a lot!) and am on summer break right now.

I'm not a big sports fan although I am interested. My daughters (21 and 16) have always been quite active in band, chorus, drama, dancing, so my attention has gone in that direction through the years.

I found it interesting to read about the children being served breakfast at school if they came early to watch the game or allowed to come after it was over!

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

nancy s. on 6/19/02 at 10:11 (087997)

thanks rachel, the red sox won -- yay. of course, truth be told, i kept falling asleep every couple of innings (the game was played in san diego, so it started 10:05 p.m. my time in maine). i had to get on the computer about 1:30 a.m. and go to their website to find out if they'd held on to their 4 to 2 lead, which they had.

it's maddening to miss the end, though, especially when they win and especially when you've stayed up half the night to watch! of course, when they lose, that's another story....

the life of a red sox fan is a real roller coaster ride. i can't believe i let the bug bite me, but i did, years ago. still waiting for them to win their first world series since 1918! they come SO close sometimes.

nancy

Rachel W. on 6/20/02 at 04:02 (088080)

Nancy,

Well done. Wish us luck when England play Brazil on Friday. I think we need it with Brazil.

Rachel.

Rachel W. on 6/20/02 at 04:11 (088081)

Suzanne,

Thanks for the welcome. I live in a town called Watford, about half an hours drive from London. I have five children (all boys) eldest is nearly 14 and the youngest is 3. My stepson also lives with us who is 23 and in a band. He hopes to be famous one day.

I've started making the older ones do a bit more around the house as I have a bit of trouble with my feet being painful. I should have made them do it before anyway, they can be so lazy. I have to keep nagging them just to keep there bedroom tidy. My husband is good though. He does a lot for me.

Anyway, nice to speak to you.

Rachel.