Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Article in USA Today, June 5th edition

Posted by Kathy G on 6/18/02 at 09:12 (087889)

My son called to tell me that he had saved an article from the June 5th edition of USA Today, the Life Section. It had to do with ESWT and PF. I tried going to their website but it is an article I'd have to pay for so I'll wait until I get if from him. It apparently says that ESWT is successful 65-80% of the time and that one of the pioneers of the therapy is George Theodore at Mass General. He did one of the original pilot programs, testing its effectiveness. My son's point was that since I'm so close to Boston, maybe I should try to get to see this guy. As soon as I finish posting, I intend to make an appointment with my POD because I have this sneaking suspicion that my orthotics may be wearing out and I just want to touch base with him. I'll ask him if he knows of this doctor.

Did anyone else read this article? My son was away in NJ at the time and going through withdrawal from the Boston Globe sports section. He's an avid sports fan and reads USA Today for the sports section whenever he's away.

Re: Article in USA Today, June 5th edition

Necee on 6/18/02 at 19:48 (087942)

Thanks Kathy for sharing the info with us, I haven't read the article, but I hope to.

Happy trails....
Necee

BrianG on 6/25/02 at 18:46 (088451)

Hi Kathy,

Sorry for the late reply. Dr Theodore, at MGH, is indeed one of the original test sites for the Dornier Epos machine. Unfortunatly not to many isurance companies are paying for ESWT yet. I believe your looking at a bill of about $8,000 for both heels. And as I can attest, it is no guarantee. I would go for it though, and appeal any denial your insurnce may give you. We have to keep appealing, until everyone can afford it. Good luck

BrianG

Necee on 6/18/02 at 19:48 (087942)

Thanks Kathy for sharing the info with us, I haven't read the article, but I hope to.

Happy trails....
Necee

BrianG on 6/25/02 at 18:46 (088451)

Hi Kathy,

Sorry for the late reply. Dr Theodore, at MGH, is indeed one of the original test sites for the Dornier Epos machine. Unfortunatly not to many isurance companies are paying for ESWT yet. I believe your looking at a bill of about $8,000 for both heels. And as I can attest, it is no guarantee. I would go for it though, and appeal any denial your insurnce may give you. We have to keep appealing, until everyone can afford it. Good luck

BrianG