Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question about use of night splints

Posted by D.Thomas on 6/18/02 at 11:07 (087904)

I decided to try night splints. What is the best approach when starting off? Start with little pressure and then slowly increase the preesure over time (i.e., a week or so)? Any thoughts or shared experience would help.

Re: Question about use of night splints

paula on 6/18/02 at 11:58 (087906)

i made mistake of putting it on all night right off. should have built up time. now i am trying that. now i always do new stuff really slow.

Re: Some things that helped me ease into night splint

Valerie S on 6/18/02 at 12:27 (087907)

I have used night splints with some success. The key for me has been to set the straps at a comfortable position. At first I thought I had to cram my heel into the back of it and tighten my foot in. It did not take long to figure out that this was not going to work, since it just cut off the circulation to my foot.

I find that my foot wants to ride up on the splint, no matter what I do. I have to resist the urge to tighten the straps and just realize that my foot will not be at 90 degrees all night. There was an awesome post here a couple months ago, I think from Dr. Ed Davis, but it might have been one of the other docs here. It explained how continued wear of the night splint would lengthen the achilles slowly, like over a few months time.

So when you say 'over time (i.e., a week or so)?' I would encourage you changing that thought to 'a few months or so...' If you tighten too quickly, you're just going to end up waking up in the middle of the night to throw the thing across the room. Take it slowly.

If you find your foot riding up in the splint, you might try what I did, and that was to put either a rolled up sock or arch support of some kind under your arch. This helps hold my foot in place a little better. I happen to have a pair of orthotics that are just sitting in a drawer because I can NOT stand in them ... they work GREAT in my night splint though!

Also make sure you do everything you need to BEFORE you put the splint on... like going to the bathroom, etc.

Good luck to you. You might not feel results in a week or so, but with continued use, you might find some real relief. I think I have. I hope it works out for you, and feel free to post any questions that you have.

-Val.

CatherineL on 6/19/02 at 08:42 (087986)

Only thing I could add to Valerie's post is:

I takes about 3 months of use for any real benefit to show.

So with that being said, start with just being able to get used to sleeping with it on... no pressure the first couple of nights. then when you've foudn we've been able to get used to sleeping with it on follow Valerie's suggestions.

catherine

john h on 6/20/02 at 11:01 (088128)

I use Scott's night splnt. I alernate each night with a different foot. I wear it all night and have never had a problem. I sometimes go several weeks and use it each night and then I will not use it for a while. I do wear a sock when I use it as it is more comfotable to me that way. I do thank it offer some benefit but should be combined with other stretching exercises.

paula on 6/20/02 at 11:21 (088131)

how many different feet do you have john?

nancy s. on 6/20/02 at 16:04 (088148)

john, based on the pic of scott's unmade bed, i'm not sure if i'd wear his night splint if i were you.

nancy

john h on 6/21/02 at 09:02 (088190)

Paula I need to check on the number of feet. Will let you know. Looking at some of my medical bills and equipment for feet I may have as many as a centipede.

john h on 6/21/02 at 09:04 (088191)

Nancy that is the reason I wear the sock with the night splint.

nancy s. on 6/21/02 at 12:52 (088220)

ah, NOW i get it, john. smart smart smart.

paula on 6/18/02 at 11:58 (087906)

i made mistake of putting it on all night right off. should have built up time. now i am trying that. now i always do new stuff really slow.

Valerie S on 6/18/02 at 12:27 (087907)

I have used night splints with some success. The key for me has been to set the straps at a comfortable position. At first I thought I had to cram my heel into the back of it and tighten my foot in. It did not take long to figure out that this was not going to work, since it just cut off the circulation to my foot.

I find that my foot wants to ride up on the splint, no matter what I do. I have to resist the urge to tighten the straps and just realize that my foot will not be at 90 degrees all night. There was an awesome post here a couple months ago, I think from Dr. Ed Davis, but it might have been one of the other docs here. It explained how continued wear of the night splint would lengthen the achilles slowly, like over a few months time.

So when you say 'over time (i.e., a week or so)?' I would encourage you changing that thought to 'a few months or so...' If you tighten too quickly, you're just going to end up waking up in the middle of the night to throw the thing across the room. Take it slowly.

If you find your foot riding up in the splint, you might try what I did, and that was to put either a rolled up sock or arch support of some kind under your arch. This helps hold my foot in place a little better. I happen to have a pair of orthotics that are just sitting in a drawer because I can NOT stand in them ... they work GREAT in my night splint though!

Also make sure you do everything you need to BEFORE you put the splint on... like going to the bathroom, etc.

Good luck to you. You might not feel results in a week or so, but with continued use, you might find some real relief. I think I have. I hope it works out for you, and feel free to post any questions that you have.

-Val.

CatherineL on 6/19/02 at 08:42 (087986)

Only thing I could add to Valerie's post is:

I takes about 3 months of use for any real benefit to show.

So with that being said, start with just being able to get used to sleeping with it on... no pressure the first couple of nights. then when you've foudn we've been able to get used to sleeping with it on follow Valerie's suggestions.

catherine

john h on 6/20/02 at 11:01 (088128)

I use Scott's night splnt. I alernate each night with a different foot. I wear it all night and have never had a problem. I sometimes go several weeks and use it each night and then I will not use it for a while. I do wear a sock when I use it as it is more comfotable to me that way. I do thank it offer some benefit but should be combined with other stretching exercises.

paula on 6/20/02 at 11:21 (088131)

how many different feet do you have john?

nancy s. on 6/20/02 at 16:04 (088148)

john, based on the pic of scott's unmade bed, i'm not sure if i'd wear his night splint if i were you.

nancy

john h on 6/21/02 at 09:02 (088190)

Paula I need to check on the number of feet. Will let you know. Looking at some of my medical bills and equipment for feet I may have as many as a centipede.

john h on 6/21/02 at 09:04 (088191)

Nancy that is the reason I wear the sock with the night splint.

nancy s. on 6/21/02 at 12:52 (088220)

ah, NOW i get it, john. smart smart smart.