Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Super feet inserts

Posted by michelec on 6/18/02 at 14:54 (087924)

I am 2 months post-op for open fascia release surgery. My doctor wants me to try the Super Feet inserts because I complained about ankle and lateral foot pain. He feels I have shifted the weight from my heel and incision site to the outer edge of my foot and believes the inserts will help stabilize my foot. Just wondering if anyone has used them and what comments I might get back.

Re: Super feet inserts

Paula S on 6/18/02 at 21:09 (087958)

Hi Michele, I just bought a pair of the Superfeet 'Comfort Rx' insoles for my athletic shoes and so far, so good. These have a rigid support all around the outside of the heel and arch, but the center of the heel area is soft. It feels supportive in my arches where I need it, but cushiony in the heel area where the PF hurts. I think a lot depends on the shape of your foot, and whether any of the superfeet insoles fit your arches. Good luck!

Rachael T. on 6/19/02 at 22:55 (088073)

Where did you find your superfeet isoles?

michelec on 6/20/02 at 07:21 (088090)

I found them at http://www.Altrec.com . They cost $29.50 with $2.99 shipping. I think I'm gonna give them a shot.

Rachael T. on 6/20/02 at 08:45 (088100)

Thanks for information! Let me know your opinion on the superfeet inserts....I am trying to decide whether or not to try them....My customs seem ok - but of course, as you know, probaby - we are always looking for something more comfy & better for our feet!!! Seems like a forever, on going battle!! But, I am much improved compared to last year this time, so for that, I am thankful!

Re: Hi, Rachel!

Suzanne D on 6/20/02 at 09:05 (088104)

How are your feet feeling these days? Are you still busy with the show horses? Good to hear from you!

Suzanne :-)

Re: Another good place to buy Superfeet

Paula S on 6/20/02 at 14:39 (088143)

If you live near an REI store, they sell them for the same price. They carry all four different types of Superfeet (and lots of other brands, too). It was nice to be able to try them all on and choose which ones fit the best.

Rachael T. on 6/20/02 at 23:13 (088181)

Hi Suzanne D! Good to hear from you - I always read your posts! I just don't always have the time w/ the busy season to write posts. As of last Tues., I had another cort. shot & this time, it helped me......I am much relieved....but questioning how long it will last...being that some folks have great results from the shot & on others, the shot doesn't last long. I could tell on Wed. night that the feet were a little 'something' - not painy, just different than they'd been - since the shot.....I think maybe that Wed's rides may have been a little much on them...? Don't know, but maybe - OR maybe it is just time for the shot's results to begin to expire -- I hope not; thus, today, I loafed & babied them mucho! So, tomorrow we shall see again! I send my best to you & hope that your feet are improving steadily too. How long has it been for you since the pf onset? My onset was April 2001 - UGH! hahaha I cannot complain though, considering how much improved I am since last year this time!!!! Stay in touch!

Suzanne D on 6/21/02 at 11:13 (088211)

Hi, Rachel! I'm glad the shot helped you and that you are continuing to see improvement. I know you must be so happy to be back riding again. When I look outside at our neighbor's horses, I often think of you! I've never been on a horse myself, but it must be a good feeling to be doing what you enjoy once again!

The onset of my PF was June 2001. I, too, am thankful to be improved from this time last year! It was hard to ever get my feet off my mind then as they hurt whether I was sitting, standing, lying down, etc. Now I csn concentrate on many other things, and that is what I am most grateful for!

Take care, and happy riding!

michelec on 6/21/02 at 12:20 (088217)

I purchased my superfeet today at a local med supply store. They cost $24.95. I've only been wearing them about an hour and so far so good. But it's too early to say if they help, of course. The supplier told me to expect some discomfort for a day or so until my body gets back into proper alignment. Will post again to let you know how they are working.

Sarah T. on 6/21/02 at 20:13 (088256)

Hi Michelle - I am 6 months post-op heel spur removal, pf release with the open procedure. I have had a very slow recovery but have finally about decided it may have been worth it all. I have been wearing custom orthotics for about a month now and I think they have helped the most. I too had pain on the outer edge of my foot and even the top of my foot. My incision is still very sensitive to touch therefore I believe some of my foot pain comes from that too. I definitely do not have the same pre-surgery pain that I had. The orthotics really did help me to distribute my weight better. I have pf/spur in my other foot too! I am also taking a new anti-inflam med called Bextra. I started taking it at the same time I got my orthotics but I do think the orthotics have helped the most. I looked at the web site that showed the superfeet and thought they looked pretty good. Mine have a deep heel cup and a high arch. The Birks have helped my feet some so I believe for me the deep heel cup is essential. Best of luck to you. --Sarah

michelec on 6/22/02 at 10:16 (088289)

Sarah,

Thanks for the info. Did your doc say what he thought the pain on the outer edge and top was? I had been wearing Birks almost exclusively as they felt most comfortable but since my recovery process, I've noticed my sneakers feel better on the new area of pain. I'm wondering if maybe my birks were formed in an incorrect shape of my foot when I was having the heel pain and now maybe I should buy a new pair to make a new impression in them. I too have found that a deep heel cup works best for the heel area. I have a spur on my left foot that hasn't needed surgery and I'm afraid that my trying to treat the new problem on my right foot and I will further aggravate the left one. Can't somebody invent new feet!!!!! LOL

Sarah T. on 6/22/02 at 16:54 (088309)

The doc told me it was very common to have pain on the outer edge and top of your foot after this surgery. He had even warned me of it before the surgery but told me that after 6-12 months I should be pain free. That's a long time but I appreciated his honesty. He told me that the pain comes from walking on your foot differently after surgery. He really didn't think I would require the orthotics after surgery but I really wish I had started in then right after I was back in my shoes. I wear New Balance tennis shoes and the Birk Betula sandals any other time. I never go barefoot anymore. I take the Bextra twice a day - I also had some success with Idocin (don't know if that's the right spelling). On days when I've been on my feet too much I will take Loritab or Tylenol PM at night. I can tell a big difference when I stay off my feet more but that's not always easy to do. It sure is discouraging when the pf prevents you from doing what you would normally do. It really makes you have sympathy for people with permanent dissabilities. ---Sarah

julies on 7/30/02 at 19:36 (091034)

These are the supports my first and only visit to pod. told me to get. The arch support is a little too close to the heel. Need it to be about 1/2 inch lower down. They hurt my feet. Should new supports make your feet feel like they fit right away. They are very rigid. Am back to some cheap rubber reflexology sandles that don't hurt my feet. If you don't hurt can it be all that bad. The pod. said the only way I would get better is by wearing the rigid supports. ????????

Paula S on 6/18/02 at 21:09 (087958)

Hi Michele, I just bought a pair of the Superfeet 'Comfort Rx' insoles for my athletic shoes and so far, so good. These have a rigid support all around the outside of the heel and arch, but the center of the heel area is soft. It feels supportive in my arches where I need it, but cushiony in the heel area where the PF hurts. I think a lot depends on the shape of your foot, and whether any of the superfeet insoles fit your arches. Good luck!

Rachael T. on 6/19/02 at 22:55 (088073)

Where did you find your superfeet isoles?

michelec on 6/20/02 at 07:21 (088090)

I found them at http://www.Altrec.com . They cost $29.50 with $2.99 shipping. I think I'm gonna give them a shot.

Rachael T. on 6/20/02 at 08:45 (088100)

Thanks for information! Let me know your opinion on the superfeet inserts....I am trying to decide whether or not to try them....My customs seem ok - but of course, as you know, probaby - we are always looking for something more comfy & better for our feet!!! Seems like a forever, on going battle!! But, I am much improved compared to last year this time, so for that, I am thankful!

Suzanne D on 6/20/02 at 09:05 (088104)

How are your feet feeling these days? Are you still busy with the show horses? Good to hear from you!

Paula S on 6/20/02 at 14:39 (088143)

If you live near an REI store, they sell them for the same price. They carry all four different types of Superfeet (and lots of other brands, too). It was nice to be able to try them all on and choose which ones fit the best.

Rachael T. on 6/20/02 at 23:13 (088181)

Hi Suzanne D! Good to hear from you - I always read your posts! I just don't always have the time w/ the busy season to write posts. As of last Tues., I had another cort. shot & this time, it helped me......I am much relieved....but questioning how long it will last...being that some folks have great results from the shot & on others, the shot doesn't last long. I could tell on Wed. night that the feet were a little 'something' - not painy, just different than they'd been - since the shot.....I think maybe that Wed's rides may have been a little much on them...? Don't know, but maybe - OR maybe it is just time for the shot's results to begin to expire -- I hope not; thus, today, I loafed & babied them mucho! So, tomorrow we shall see again! I send my best to you & hope that your feet are improving steadily too. How long has it been for you since the pf onset? My onset was April 2001 - UGH! hahaha I cannot complain though, considering how much improved I am since last year this time!!!! Stay in touch!

Suzanne D on 6/21/02 at 11:13 (088211)

Hi, Rachel! I'm glad the shot helped you and that you are continuing to see improvement. I know you must be so happy to be back riding again. When I look outside at our neighbor's horses, I often think of you! I've never been on a horse myself, but it must be a good feeling to be doing what you enjoy once again!

The onset of my PF was June 2001. I, too, am thankful to be improved from this time last year! It was hard to ever get my feet off my mind then as they hurt whether I was sitting, standing, lying down, etc. Now I csn concentrate on many other things, and that is what I am most grateful for!

Take care, and happy riding!

michelec on 6/21/02 at 12:20 (088217)

I purchased my superfeet today at a local med supply store. They cost $24.95. I've only been wearing them about an hour and so far so good. But it's too early to say if they help, of course. The supplier told me to expect some discomfort for a day or so until my body gets back into proper alignment. Will post again to let you know how they are working.

Sarah T. on 6/21/02 at 20:13 (088256)

Hi Michelle - I am 6 months post-op heel spur removal, pf release with the open procedure. I have had a very slow recovery but have finally about decided it may have been worth it all. I have been wearing custom orthotics for about a month now and I think they have helped the most. I too had pain on the outer edge of my foot and even the top of my foot. My incision is still very sensitive to touch therefore I believe some of my foot pain comes from that too. I definitely do not have the same pre-surgery pain that I had. The orthotics really did help me to distribute my weight better. I have pf/spur in my other foot too! I am also taking a new anti-inflam med called Bextra. I started taking it at the same time I got my orthotics but I do think the orthotics have helped the most. I looked at the web site that showed the superfeet and thought they looked pretty good. Mine have a deep heel cup and a high arch. The Birks have helped my feet some so I believe for me the deep heel cup is essential. Best of luck to you. --Sarah

michelec on 6/22/02 at 10:16 (088289)

Sarah,

Thanks for the info. Did your doc say what he thought the pain on the outer edge and top was? I had been wearing Birks almost exclusively as they felt most comfortable but since my recovery process, I've noticed my sneakers feel better on the new area of pain. I'm wondering if maybe my birks were formed in an incorrect shape of my foot when I was having the heel pain and now maybe I should buy a new pair to make a new impression in them. I too have found that a deep heel cup works best for the heel area. I have a spur on my left foot that hasn't needed surgery and I'm afraid that my trying to treat the new problem on my right foot and I will further aggravate the left one. Can't somebody invent new feet!!!!! LOL

Sarah T. on 6/22/02 at 16:54 (088309)

The doc told me it was very common to have pain on the outer edge and top of your foot after this surgery. He had even warned me of it before the surgery but told me that after 6-12 months I should be pain free. That's a long time but I appreciated his honesty. He told me that the pain comes from walking on your foot differently after surgery. He really didn't think I would require the orthotics after surgery but I really wish I had started in then right after I was back in my shoes. I wear New Balance tennis shoes and the Birk Betula sandals any other time. I never go barefoot anymore. I take the Bextra twice a day - I also had some success with Idocin (don't know if that's the right spelling). On days when I've been on my feet too much I will take Loritab or Tylenol PM at night. I can tell a big difference when I stay off my feet more but that's not always easy to do. It sure is discouraging when the pf prevents you from doing what you would normally do. It really makes you have sympathy for people with permanent dissabilities. ---Sarah

julies on 7/30/02 at 19:36 (091034)

These are the supports my first and only visit to pod. told me to get. The arch support is a little too close to the heel. Need it to be about 1/2 inch lower down. They hurt my feet. Should new supports make your feet feel like they fit right away. They are very rigid. Am back to some cheap rubber reflexology sandles that don't hurt my feet. If you don't hurt can it be all that bad. The pod. said the only way I would get better is by wearing the rigid supports. ????????