Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

calf cramps

Posted by karen on 6/18/02 at 16:09 (087927)

my partner is suffering from cramps in calf muscles of both legs after 2 hours of tennis. He is fit and although has suffered in the past with this problem, it has never occured after 2 hours. He has been on the slimfast diet for 1 year and uses it as a balanced diet. A typical day would be 2 milkshakes for breakfast, sandwich for lunch with a balanced low fat dinner and may often finish the evening with a bowl of cereal. He drinks very little fluids during the day, but during a tennis match drinks plenty of water and lucozade. He also suffers from hayfever and takes antihistermines during the season.Is there an obvious problem? Or can you suggest any possible reasons why this happens?

Re: calf cramps

R C on 6/20/02 at 11:32 (088133)

Since no doctors have responded, I'll make a suggestion.

(1) Drink water throughout the day, not just during matches. 8+ cups for the average sized person. Other fluids don't count. (Weight loss can aggravate the dehydration.)

(2) Get a very firm, vigorous massage done on the calves by a physical therapist or massage therapist. It will probably be painful. Do this periodically (say once a month).

(3) Stretch out before and after exercise.

Re: calf cramps

R C on 6/20/02 at 11:32 (088133)

Since no doctors have responded, I'll make a suggestion.

(1) Drink water throughout the day, not just during matches. 8+ cups for the average sized person. Other fluids don't count. (Weight loss can aggravate the dehydration.)

(2) Get a very firm, vigorous massage done on the calves by a physical therapist or massage therapist. It will probably be painful. Do this periodically (say once a month).

(3) Stretch out before and after exercise.