Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Do I actually even have TTS?

Posted by Chad H on 6/18/02 at 19:44 (087939)

Sorry I have taken up a lot of the message board space lately, but you guys are such good listens and I appriciate the advice.

My question is, do I even have TTS?

My original source of pain beginning 7 years ago has been in the tarsal tunnel area and the tinel sign has always been the major cause of my pain. I ache in that area, but I don't share many of the symptoms posted by others on this board.

I have no burning (except in the tarsal tunnel area), no numbness, no tingling, no cold feet, no hot feet, etc.

When the doctors have opened me up, they have been amazed by the large amount of scar tissue present in the area.

Is there anything else that could cause the Tinel Sign? Could something be wrong with the retinaculum (sp)? Should I be exploring other avenues?

One other strange thing: I am sure everyone has this sensation, but I don't know how to explain it. You know how when you relax or you get a chill or occasionally when you exhale strongly you kind of feel your entire body relax, almost like all of your nerves in your body just had a small electrical shock go through them? (if you have no idea what I am talking about then maybe it is just me). Anyway, when I have that happen, it is like I can feel the small electrical shock travel through every nerve in my body and when it hits my ankle I get a severe stinging pain in the tarsal tunnel area. It is so weird, but painful nonetheless. Because of this I believe my pain is nerve related, but is it TTS?

Re: Do I actually even have TTS?

wendyn on 6/18/02 at 19:50 (087943)

Chad - there are some of us that can actually experience pain through our nerves when suddenly startled. Is that the type of thing that you are discribing?

Chad H on 6/18/02 at 20:47 (087956)

yea I guess so, but this is more of a chill running through my body. I would say that most people who don't have pain associated with this sensation don't even know it is happening. I suppose it would be like being startled as well.

wendyn on 6/18/02 at 21:45 (087965)

It sounds like something similar Chad. There are a few of us with RSD here who have experienced something along those lines (I'm not implying that you have RSD - only that you're NOT NUTS!!!!!)

KathyB on 6/21/02 at 18:37 (088242)

Did they do that test on you where they check the nerve for responsiveness? I forget what they call it because I have to have it sometime and it is very painful. There are a lot of things that can cause problems, have you gotten a second opinion? Have they put you on any medications like our favorite neurontin or topamax? You have a good right to question what is going on. If it were me, I would take a step back and re-evaluate what is going on.

Re: Do I actually even have TTS?: NCV test

Lara T on 6/22/02 at 07:27 (088278)

I think the test Kathy B is referring to is the NCV TEst (Nerve Conduction Velocity) test. I have heard other people say it is a painful test (and I believe them), but I found it relatively easy to tolerate so it might not be so bad (and I was lucky - I didn't know some people thought it was an awful test so I didn't even dread getting the test either). Seems like another of those things that it varies with each person.

Chad H on 6/24/02 at 18:18 (088388)

I have had a nerve conductivity test. It was basically inconclusive.

I am going to post a new message documenting my lastest doctor visit soon. Thanks for your responses!

wendyn on 6/18/02 at 19:50 (087943)

Chad - there are some of us that can actually experience pain through our nerves when suddenly startled. Is that the type of thing that you are discribing?

Chad H on 6/18/02 at 20:47 (087956)

yea I guess so, but this is more of a chill running through my body. I would say that most people who don't have pain associated with this sensation don't even know it is happening. I suppose it would be like being startled as well.

wendyn on 6/18/02 at 21:45 (087965)

It sounds like something similar Chad. There are a few of us with RSD here who have experienced something along those lines (I'm not implying that you have RSD - only that you're NOT NUTS!!!!!)

KathyB on 6/21/02 at 18:37 (088242)

Did they do that test on you where they check the nerve for responsiveness? I forget what they call it because I have to have it sometime and it is very painful. There are a lot of things that can cause problems, have you gotten a second opinion? Have they put you on any medications like our favorite neurontin or topamax? You have a good right to question what is going on. If it were me, I would take a step back and re-evaluate what is going on.

Lara T on 6/22/02 at 07:27 (088278)

I think the test Kathy B is referring to is the NCV TEst (Nerve Conduction Velocity) test. I have heard other people say it is a painful test (and I believe them), but I found it relatively easy to tolerate so it might not be so bad (and I was lucky - I didn't know some people thought it was an awful test so I didn't even dread getting the test either). Seems like another of those things that it varies with each person.

Chad H on 6/24/02 at 18:18 (088388)

I have had a nerve conductivity test. It was basically inconclusive.

I am going to post a new message documenting my lastest doctor visit soon. Thanks for your responses!