Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Counting the days!!!

Posted by Necee on 6/18/02 at 20:00 (087945)

I'm counting the days till July!!!!! My place of employment always closes for the entire month of July, and boy am I ready for it.

I have all sorts of plans for the month, like painting the inside of my house, having a garage sale, spending time with family and friends and hopefully squeezing in some r and r.

Even though I really don't feel all that energetic, I know that I have to keep going.....I refuse to give in to this PF!

Happy trails....

Necee

Re: Counting the days!!!

Laurie R on 6/18/02 at 20:05 (087946)

Hi Necee, you sound like you have a great plan for your month off ... How is your PF doing ? Are you any better then last year at this time? I wish you the very best always , Much love to you , Laurie R

Missy B on 6/18/02 at 20:34 (087955)

Hi Necee,
Sounds like you have a full schedule for your month off(?). Don't forget to take some time for a little personal pampering. How about squeezing in a day for a body massage - sounds as if you may need it with all you have planned.
Do you wear custom made orthotics? I just got mine about a week ago, and I am holding my breath, but I do think they are helping the residual PF soreness I have been experiencing since my PF/TT surgery in January. At least my mind does not seem to focus on that discomfort as much as before.
Enjoy your time off - hope you have lots of good weather and don't forget the r and r part.
Missy B.

Necee on 6/18/02 at 22:12 (087968)

Oh Missy, a body massage sounds so good!!! When I was a child I loved having my feet rubbed, oh what I'd give to turn back the clock.
I don't have custom orthotics, but a very dear friend from the message board sent me a pair of Spenco orthotics, I wear them in my New Balance shoes, they sure feel good. I also wear Birks, but I need to get a pair for summer, Oh I guess I could add that to my list of things to do in July!

Happy trails....

Necee

Necee on 6/18/02 at 22:18 (087969)

Yes Laurie, I think that I'm a little better than I was this time last year. Back then I was really limping and walking on the side of my foot, now its better but I still have morning pain, and at the end of my work day my feet are really tired. I try to just block the pain out of my mind and be thankful that I'm still able to work, its not easy and I sometimes wonder why I continue....my hubby tells me to just quit work but I'm stubborn I guess.
How are you doing?? I think about you all the time and hope that you are healing and getting better with each new day.

Happy trails to you.....

Necee

Missy B on 6/19/02 at 04:46 (087976)

I just got my latest pair of Birks from QVC last week - a pair of red sandals for summer. I was worried that I might have a problem getting them 'broken in' since my surgery last January, but nope! - they fit perfectly and feel as good as my other pairs which are well worn.
They are a great alternative for me when my feet need a break from my New Balance athletic shoes (in which I have put my new orthotics).
Missy B.

Suzanne D on 6/19/02 at 07:51 (087982)

Good for you, Necee! It's always nice to have something to look forward to, isn't it? And some rest sounds helpful for you. I know I try to squeeze a lot of things into the two months we're off from school in the summer. But sometimes, even if you are still busy, it can be restful just to be doing other things from the normal routine.

I understand what you mean about not giving into PF. I am thankful to be better than last summer. I'm not limping, either, and I don't wake up from the pain at night any more. I wish Birks still felt good as I always enjoyed wearing sandals, but at least I found the Birk inserts which work well for me in the SAS shoes. Last night I dreamed that I walked barefoot (something I used to do a lot) from one room to the other, but then my feet started hurting so badly. That was a strange dream!

If I lived near, I would come to your garage sale! That would be fun.

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

Re: To Suzanne Re: Birks

Necee on 6/20/02 at 10:42 (088123)

I understand what your saying about those Birks Suzanne, I have a pair of Bostons that I wear to work, but when I walk in them all day long, my feet get tired. I think the footbed is too hard for me to be standing on concrete, I got some Spenco inserts from a sweet friend and I use those in my New Balance shoes. I bought my first pair of Birks a year ago, and they have helped me tremendously, but.....they are just too hard.
I have thought about those SAS shoes, and when I'm off in July I just might try a pair.

All the best to you, and....

Happy trails.......

Necee

nancy s. on 6/20/02 at 16:13 (088151)

necee, have you tried the soft-footbed bostons? i ultimately bought a pair, even though my regular ones work pretty darn well most of the time. every now and then, though, i need something softer at the end of the day, and the soft footbeds are just the ticket. i wouldn't wear them all day, though (personally), because i usually need the firmer support. they're just a nice rest at the end of a day spent too long on the feet. they might be good for you toward the end of a long day on the concrete auction floor.

nancy

Re: To Nancy S Re: Birks

Necee on 6/21/02 at 07:54 (088189)

Hey Nancy thanks for the info....when I bought my first pair of Birks last summer they didn't have any in stock with the soft footbeds.
I think when I go back I'll try to get a pair.

Happy trails...

Necee

john h on 6/21/02 at 09:22 (088195)

Nancy: I am wearing my softbed Birk sandals as I type. I have ordered a pair of Airizona looking Mesphito sandals. will let you know my take on them after a try. what size shoe do you wear? if you are a big footed girl you can be my new Barb where I sent my shoes that would not work for me. I have sent out several pairs of new sandals over the years to people on the board (size 43) or 10 1/2 Medium.

nancy s. on 6/21/02 at 16:55 (088233)

necee, are you talking about a store? because now that you know your size, you'd save money -- quite a bit of money -- by ordering them from the german site. i hope you try some and that they help you! i have a feeling that you'll like them.

john, i'm a birk size 40, dang it. on the shrimpy side. i wish i weren't, because birk castoffs would be a great present.

nancy

Suzanne D on 6/21/02 at 17:31 (088235)

John, since Nancy has said she is a size 40, I will tell you that I wear a 43. In fact, I was the recipient, by way of someone else, of your Bostons, I believe, not long after I came to this site last year. I DID wear them - and they felt great! - until whatever changed with my feet. I do still wear my Arizonas when I get up in the morning and step into them from the bathtub. I am in hopes that something will change again and I will once more be able to wear Birks comfortably. If you were a lady, I'd send you the Tatamis with the white straps which I bought last winter on sale for this spring!

john h on 6/24/02 at 09:24 (088363)

Suzanne: Another size 43. Great! You can be the beneficiary of my future mistakes.

Laurie R on 6/18/02 at 20:05 (087946)

Hi Necee, you sound like you have a great plan for your month off ... How is your PF doing ? Are you any better then last year at this time? I wish you the very best always , Much love to you , Laurie R

Missy B on 6/18/02 at 20:34 (087955)

Hi Necee,
Sounds like you have a full schedule for your month off(?). Don't forget to take some time for a little personal pampering. How about squeezing in a day for a body massage - sounds as if you may need it with all you have planned.
Do you wear custom made orthotics? I just got mine about a week ago, and I am holding my breath, but I do think they are helping the residual PF soreness I have been experiencing since my PF/TT surgery in January. At least my mind does not seem to focus on that discomfort as much as before.
Enjoy your time off - hope you have lots of good weather and don't forget the r and r part.
Missy B.

Necee on 6/18/02 at 22:12 (087968)

Oh Missy, a body massage sounds so good!!! When I was a child I loved having my feet rubbed, oh what I'd give to turn back the clock.
I don't have custom orthotics, but a very dear friend from the message board sent me a pair of Spenco orthotics, I wear them in my New Balance shoes, they sure feel good. I also wear Birks, but I need to get a pair for summer, Oh I guess I could add that to my list of things to do in July!

Happy trails....

Necee

Necee on 6/18/02 at 22:18 (087969)

Yes Laurie, I think that I'm a little better than I was this time last year. Back then I was really limping and walking on the side of my foot, now its better but I still have morning pain, and at the end of my work day my feet are really tired. I try to just block the pain out of my mind and be thankful that I'm still able to work, its not easy and I sometimes wonder why I continue....my hubby tells me to just quit work but I'm stubborn I guess.
How are you doing?? I think about you all the time and hope that you are healing and getting better with each new day.

Happy trails to you.....

Necee

Missy B on 6/19/02 at 04:46 (087976)

I just got my latest pair of Birks from QVC last week - a pair of red sandals for summer. I was worried that I might have a problem getting them 'broken in' since my surgery last January, but nope! - they fit perfectly and feel as good as my other pairs which are well worn.
They are a great alternative for me when my feet need a break from my New Balance athletic shoes (in which I have put my new orthotics).
Missy B.

Suzanne D on 6/19/02 at 07:51 (087982)

Good for you, Necee! It's always nice to have something to look forward to, isn't it? And some rest sounds helpful for you. I know I try to squeeze a lot of things into the two months we're off from school in the summer. But sometimes, even if you are still busy, it can be restful just to be doing other things from the normal routine.

I understand what you mean about not giving into PF. I am thankful to be better than last summer. I'm not limping, either, and I don't wake up from the pain at night any more. I wish Birks still felt good as I always enjoyed wearing sandals, but at least I found the Birk inserts which work well for me in the SAS shoes. Last night I dreamed that I walked barefoot (something I used to do a lot) from one room to the other, but then my feet started hurting so badly. That was a strange dream!

If I lived near, I would come to your garage sale! That would be fun.

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

Necee on 6/20/02 at 10:42 (088123)

I understand what your saying about those Birks Suzanne, I have a pair of Bostons that I wear to work, but when I walk in them all day long, my feet get tired. I think the footbed is too hard for me to be standing on concrete, I got some Spenco inserts from a sweet friend and I use those in my New Balance shoes. I bought my first pair of Birks a year ago, and they have helped me tremendously, but.....they are just too hard.
I have thought about those SAS shoes, and when I'm off in July I just might try a pair.

All the best to you, and....

Happy trails.......

Necee

nancy s. on 6/20/02 at 16:13 (088151)

necee, have you tried the soft-footbed bostons? i ultimately bought a pair, even though my regular ones work pretty darn well most of the time. every now and then, though, i need something softer at the end of the day, and the soft footbeds are just the ticket. i wouldn't wear them all day, though (personally), because i usually need the firmer support. they're just a nice rest at the end of a day spent too long on the feet. they might be good for you toward the end of a long day on the concrete auction floor.

nancy

Necee on 6/21/02 at 07:54 (088189)

Hey Nancy thanks for the info....when I bought my first pair of Birks last summer they didn't have any in stock with the soft footbeds.
I think when I go back I'll try to get a pair.

Happy trails...

Necee

john h on 6/21/02 at 09:22 (088195)

Nancy: I am wearing my softbed Birk sandals as I type. I have ordered a pair of Airizona looking Mesphito sandals. will let you know my take on them after a try. what size shoe do you wear? if you are a big footed girl you can be my new Barb where I sent my shoes that would not work for me. I have sent out several pairs of new sandals over the years to people on the board (size 43) or 10 1/2 Medium.

nancy s. on 6/21/02 at 16:55 (088233)

necee, are you talking about a store? because now that you know your size, you'd save money -- quite a bit of money -- by ordering them from the german site. i hope you try some and that they help you! i have a feeling that you'll like them.

john, i'm a birk size 40, dang it. on the shrimpy side. i wish i weren't, because birk castoffs would be a great present.

nancy

Suzanne D on 6/21/02 at 17:31 (088235)

John, since Nancy has said she is a size 40, I will tell you that I wear a 43. In fact, I was the recipient, by way of someone else, of your Bostons, I believe, not long after I came to this site last year. I DID wear them - and they felt great! - until whatever changed with my feet. I do still wear my Arizonas when I get up in the morning and step into them from the bathtub. I am in hopes that something will change again and I will once more be able to wear Birks comfortably. If you were a lady, I'd send you the Tatamis with the white straps which I bought last winter on sale for this spring!

john h on 6/24/02 at 09:24 (088363)

Suzanne: Another size 43. Great! You can be the beneficiary of my future mistakes.