Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

foot pain

Posted by helen t on 6/18/02 at 21:44 (087964)

On May 8 of this year I was assaulted by a patient. I twisted the inside of my left foot during this and two days later had severe right back and leg pain. I had an MRI and had a disk herniation at L4-5 with newve impingement. I stayed out of work for three and one half weeks and went back to work as an LPN. I was on my feet for 6 hrs. Because of the tenderness on the right leg I put most of my walking and bending weight on my left leg and foot. The next morning I was unable to to put my foot flat on the floor. It felt better with my shoes on. After three days the pain was no better and I had an exray which showed two moderate sized heel spurs one in the heel and one on the plantar side of the heel. The pain in on the right side of my left foot about two inches long and into the under side of my foot about one inch. It makes my whole bottom of my foot itch and burn terrible and when I walk it hurts terrible. I tood indocin without any help and tool vicodin with no effect. If I am up on my toe the pain is better but if I do a foot exercise pulling my heel up and down the pain is worse. I tried to go back to work this weekend the pain increased so I couldn't walk and the burning was awful. My boss is furious but I can't help it. I cannot put weight on my right foot and leg with full strength because the pain in my back increases. Should I have an injection? What do you think it is the xray showed no thickening of the plantar sheath. Please help me as this is worker related and I am so affraid that they are going to fire me.

Helen Torrey

Re: Get a lawyer

Valerie S on 6/18/02 at 22:51 (087974)

Helen, I read your post, and I hope you don't mind if I respond...

I am not a doctor, and I am also not one who has ever used a lawyer... but you need to have someone protecting your legal rights right now. I cannot even imagine what it must be like to be assaulted by a patient, let alone to have to go through such terrible pain afterwards. It seems apparent that you are in no shape to be working right now, and if your employer is not cooperating (and Yes, I'm sure they need you and you love your job, believe me I was there a year and a half ago myself...), you need to protect yourself and make sure you are doing things right.

Workman's Compensation attorneys are free, they do not charge you any money unless they win a case for you. When I was in the middle of my struggles with my job, I saw a WC lawyer, and got some great advice, even though I decided not to pursue a WC claim. Sometimes I still wish I had, but my situation is different than yours.

You have worked hard as a nurse, and it is obvious that you care a lot about both your patients and your job. It is time to take care of Helen now, and do what is best for yourself. I hope I don't sound too preachy, but your post really struck a chord with me. I'm sure the doctors will respond to the medical part of your question... in the meantime, listen to what your body is telling you and GET OFF YOUR FEET before you become disabled long-term. I'm not the only one who will tell you how important early treatment is, and as a nurse, I'm sure you know too.

I am sorry you are in so much pain. I will get off my soapbox now and go do my foot exercises and go to bed. I hope you find relief soon, and the answers you are looking for. Good luck and God bless you.

You will find many friends here, and don't be afraid to ask questions or just cry on our shoulders anytime. Many of us have been in your shoes, no pun intended of course. If you ever need a friend, you can email me at valerah @ yahoo. com. I have very big ears, and I was forced to give up my job almost a year and a half ago because I waited too long to get treatment. You are not alone, as much as it may feel like it.

Your friend, Val.

J. King on 6/19/02 at 10:06 (087996)

I stongly second Val's suggestion to get a lawyer and file for worker's compensation. Your employer is being an asshole. This is typical when a worker gets hurt on the job. I know from bitter experience. If you don't have legal protection the employer will many times find some other excuse to get rid of you. 'Unsatisfactory performance, too many absences, blah, blah, blah'. The fact is that once you get hurt on the job you become a liability to the employer. Screw these people! You must protect yourself. Don't wait, get the lawyer!

Valerie S on 6/18/02 at 22:51 (087974)

Helen, I read your post, and I hope you don't mind if I respond...

I am not a doctor, and I am also not one who has ever used a lawyer... but you need to have someone protecting your legal rights right now. I cannot even imagine what it must be like to be assaulted by a patient, let alone to have to go through such terrible pain afterwards. It seems apparent that you are in no shape to be working right now, and if your employer is not cooperating (and Yes, I'm sure they need you and you love your job, believe me I was there a year and a half ago myself...), you need to protect yourself and make sure you are doing things right.

Workman's Compensation attorneys are free, they do not charge you any money unless they win a case for you. When I was in the middle of my struggles with my job, I saw a WC lawyer, and got some great advice, even though I decided not to pursue a WC claim. Sometimes I still wish I had, but my situation is different than yours.

You have worked hard as a nurse, and it is obvious that you care a lot about both your patients and your job. It is time to take care of Helen now, and do what is best for yourself. I hope I don't sound too preachy, but your post really struck a chord with me. I'm sure the doctors will respond to the medical part of your question... in the meantime, listen to what your body is telling you and GET OFF YOUR FEET before you become disabled long-term. I'm not the only one who will tell you how important early treatment is, and as a nurse, I'm sure you know too.

I am sorry you are in so much pain. I will get off my soapbox now and go do my foot exercises and go to bed. I hope you find relief soon, and the answers you are looking for. Good luck and God bless you.

You will find many friends here, and don't be afraid to ask questions or just cry on our shoulders anytime. Many of us have been in your shoes, no pun intended of course. If you ever need a friend, you can email me at valerah @ yahoo. com. I have very big ears, and I was forced to give up my job almost a year and a half ago because I waited too long to get treatment. You are not alone, as much as it may feel like it.

Your friend, Val.

J. King on 6/19/02 at 10:06 (087996)

I stongly second Val's suggestion to get a lawyer and file for worker's compensation. Your employer is being an asshole. This is typical when a worker gets hurt on the job. I know from bitter experience. If you don't have legal protection the employer will many times find some other excuse to get rid of you. 'Unsatisfactory performance, too many absences, blah, blah, blah'. The fact is that once you get hurt on the job you become a liability to the employer. Screw these people! You must protect yourself. Don't wait, get the lawyer!