Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

When do you need to stretch ?

Posted by Pete R on 6/19/02 at 11:05 (088003)

I've been diagnosed with PF in both feet, but don't have early morning pain nor do my calves and achilles ever get tight or painful. Do I still therefore need to stretch ?

What are the doc's or anyone elses experience ?

Can you do more harm by stretching when you don't need to ?

Thanks

Re: When do you need to stretch ?

Andrue on 6/19/02 at 11:40 (088006)

Sounds similar to me. No morning pain but my arches and the heel at the base of the arch are tender to pressure. At present it's still uncertain what I have and it might now have progressed to a muscular problem.

Whatever - I have never found stretching to be helpful and in fact early on it did more harm than good. OTOH I might be a bit unusual in that my PF (or whatever) is injury related rather than biomechanical innefficiency. This suggests to me that all things considered stretching isn't needed for me unless the injury has caused things to contract.

Mar on 6/19/02 at 13:57 (088015)

Good question. I don;t have tight calves or achilles pain either. The stretching never seems to relieve any pain. I do it because the docs told me to, but it doesn;t seem to help except before I get out of bed in the morning. Then it loosens the feet up a little, as I have more than PF going on. Mar

Jon R. on 6/21/02 at 23:28 (088275)

I've had PF for almost a year now (at least I think it's PF). I would say that for almost the first 5 or 6 months I didn't have the classic pain in the morning symptom. Now I do, both in the morning & whenever I get up from sitting for a while (although it is not intense pain, more bothersome). Stretching definately helps prevent this. I tried all the stretches religiously for a week or two but, believe this was causing more harm than good. In fact this was my most painful stage, probably because I was overstretching and straining the PF. Now the only stretch I do is sitting with my legs out and touching my toes while bending my foot towards me. This does the trick. If I were you I'd probably do some light stretching like this, but be careful about not straining anything.

Julie on 6/22/02 at 02:47 (088277)

Jon, I agree that some of the stretches commonly prescribed for PF can do more harm than good, and that bending the foot back towards the body is fine (it is non weight-bearing).

But I would advise most people who read your post to stop at that, and not try to touch the toes. Touching the toes adds nothing to the gastroc/soleus/achilles stretch, but can pull so strongly on the hamstrings and therefore on the lower back that it is really better avoided except by the young and fit and those who know what they're doing.

Andrue on 6/19/02 at 11:40 (088006)

Sounds similar to me. No morning pain but my arches and the heel at the base of the arch are tender to pressure. At present it's still uncertain what I have and it might now have progressed to a muscular problem.

Whatever - I have never found stretching to be helpful and in fact early on it did more harm than good. OTOH I might be a bit unusual in that my PF (or whatever) is injury related rather than biomechanical innefficiency. This suggests to me that all things considered stretching isn't needed for me unless the injury has caused things to contract.

Mar on 6/19/02 at 13:57 (088015)

Good question. I don;t have tight calves or achilles pain either. The stretching never seems to relieve any pain. I do it because the docs told me to, but it doesn;t seem to help except before I get out of bed in the morning. Then it loosens the feet up a little, as I have more than PF going on. Mar

Jon R. on 6/21/02 at 23:28 (088275)

I've had PF for almost a year now (at least I think it's PF). I would say that for almost the first 5 or 6 months I didn't have the classic pain in the morning symptom. Now I do, both in the morning & whenever I get up from sitting for a while (although it is not intense pain, more bothersome). Stretching definately helps prevent this. I tried all the stretches religiously for a week or two but, believe this was causing more harm than good. In fact this was my most painful stage, probably because I was overstretching and straining the PF. Now the only stretch I do is sitting with my legs out and touching my toes while bending my foot towards me. This does the trick. If I were you I'd probably do some light stretching like this, but be careful about not straining anything.

Julie on 6/22/02 at 02:47 (088277)

Jon, I agree that some of the stretches commonly prescribed for PF can do more harm than good, and that bending the foot back towards the body is fine (it is non weight-bearing).

But I would advise most people who read your post to stop at that, and not try to touch the toes. Touching the toes adds nothing to the gastroc/soleus/achilles stretch, but can pull so strongly on the hamstrings and therefore on the lower back that it is really better avoided except by the young and fit and those who know what they're doing.